The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-13-2021, 03:48 PM

Default ADA Cabinet Simulator as an effect?

Has anybody else tried using the ADA Cabinet Simulator (GCS-2) as an effect for live work?

I've been doing open mics for 10 months now, and have started using the Yamaha Silent Guitar for my gigs (very light, less bulky than an acoustic, no-fuss/no-muss/no-feedback . . and it sounds great).

Still, there's just something about the sound that annoys me (and it annoys me on any other acoustic I've tried when plugging it in) . . it's mainly the HIGHS that just seem to grate on me. I've tried just fiddling with EQ, but that never seems quite right, either. Also, on occasion, this guitar can get a bit bass-heavy (on any other guitar, this pronounced bass on some notes would cause feedback issues).

I recently listened to somebody else perform, and noticed that he ran his acoustic through an amp (Fender Bassman, I think) and mic'd it. That reminded me that I had a Guitar Cabinet Simulator that I'd never tried out. So I hooked it up and played with it. I found a setting that I think I like a lot:

1) Vintage Speaker
2) 10" speaker size
3) Open Back cabinet
4) Mic placement about 1/4 of the way from the center to the edge of the cabinet.

I had bought a looper for occasions just like this: allow me to compare effects without having to worry about my playing being consistent and being able to listen with 100% of my brain.

I ran the output of the Cabinet Simulator to my Loudbox Artist amp, and then recorded the guitar with and without the CabSim engaged using my iPhone. I had to make some adjustment to the volume output (using the looper volume control) to make the volumes consistent (the output with the Cabinet Simulator engaged was a bit quieter than with it bypassed).

Here are the results:

Cabinet Simulator OFF:
https://soundcloud.com/user-99202317...8852dc718722a7

Cabinet Simulator ON:
https://soundcloud.com/user-99202317...8852dc718722a7
Old 11-13-2021, 06:24 PM

Many of us use the same Impulse Response technology that cab sims use to recreate the sound of the guitar body.

Some of the cabs in my Mooer Radar make quite interesting additions to a dry piezo sound but it's very hit and miss. A proper guitar body IR, ideally of your own guitar is a much more reliable option, except in your case where the silent guitar serves as a great neutral trigger for IRs based on other folks' guitars.

Do a search on this forum for "IR".
Old 11-13-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
A proper guitar body IR, ideally of your own guitar is a much more reliable option, except in your case where the silent guitar serves as a great neutral trigger for IRs based on other folks' guitars.
The Yamaha Silent Guitar actually has its own IR built-in. There's a knob that blends between 100% piezo and 100% mic IR. I have it set to 100% IR.

Since I own a ToneDexter, I could try out their library of IR images for the Yamaha Silent Guitar, I suppose. But the thing is (as I pointed out), I don't really care for the sound of any amplified acoustic (even after applying a good IR to it). I guess I just prefer the "smoother" sound after it's gone through a good amp? Dunno.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:41 PM

Got it.

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.

I suppose it depends what you're aiming for. One of the reasons piezo/guitar amp is acceptable to many is because people have done it, made it sound musical and others who have heard it like it for what it is rather than an authentic acoustic tone, a bit like harmonica through a bullet mic and valve bas amp - sounds nothing like a harmonica but sounds just like the blues.

Rule #1 - if it sounds good, it is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification