The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM

The Podium has recently had a Goodall nylon string crossover type guitar. I haven't dared to go in and try it (I'm adequately set with guitars at the moment and I don't dare walk in that store's guitar room which would just fan the flames of desire). I have a nice classical that I love, and I am skeptical about nylon crossovers for all the reasons discussed by others above, but I can't help but be curious about this one - I'll bet this Goodall is nice!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 AM

This is another reason why some months ago I suggested splitting the nylon string forum in two, Classical Guitar and Nylon string guitar...yes, I know there are not enough participants to warrant it!...enough people let me know!

The Taylor nylon series would fall into the nylon string guitar side. While Classical pieces can be played on a Taylor, they are best heard on a true classical design. A great example of a Taylor ns series guitar would be the Zac Brown Band...this is what they do best. Zac Brown switches back and forth from nylon to steel all the time. It would be a lot harder to switch if he used a true classical
The crossover design uses fret board radius . Some of the crossover players use a flat pick where this is easier to do on a radiused fret board and bridge saddle. This also makes it very easy to change from steel to nylon string guitars with very little adjustment in technique. Because I use fingernails, I move from my Martin crossover to my Taylor 12 string with ease. They both have the same nut size.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 10-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Went to a Taylor Roadshow last week and Barney and Cory said there is a Taylor Classical on the way. No indication of when it will be on the market.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Default I have one of the Classicals....

For those of you that are still interested, even though I know this is an old thread. I have one of their classical prototypes, which I'm selling on ebay. I tried to post it here before ebay, but I had just joined, and they wouldn't let me!

If you search 'Taylor Classical Prototype' it will come up. It's a beautiful guitar, but unfortunately other things have taken a priority.

Mine has a Cedar top and was built in 2011 when Bob was working with Pepe Romero and Andy Powers.

If you want to PM me, I can email you additional pics if you like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical