The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Default An original looking for feedback

I welcome any and all comments and criticisms!

It's called "Day To Day"

Thanks for listening...

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_3889082

I LOVE this web site!!!

Taylor DN3
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
Boss BR 1600CD
Zoom H4n
Dell XPS M1640
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Monitor Headphones
Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Hi Joe,

Nice effort. Good structure. Couple of thoughts. "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

In this case I mean you rely too heavily on guitar sounds and they're basically the same guitar sounds. Pare it down. That'll make you make it stronger.

Vocals: Everything is double tracked. There is no build or breakdown. Maybe lose the double track on the verses and bring it in on the chorus. If, like many, you're trying to hide your voice by moshing it with another track. Get over yourself and make it work.

The section you seem to have set aside as an instrumental doesn't really have a melody solo.

I think you have some of the right ideas in terms of building the song in an arc, but you could go farther in that direction. Some hand percussion and a bass line would also help. 7:47 is long. Shorten the intro and outro and lose a verse/chorus.

Yay! You got a song out! That's the beginning. Most great songs have been through a LOT of rewriting before they were "done."

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 AM

Hi Ty and thanks very much for the great feedback. I'm excited to incorporate some of the things you mentioned. Yes, a bit chorusy on the guitars which is something I NEVER do. These days I record with pretty much no effects at all and will be trying that on this tune as well.

Your feedback is great and I thank you for taking the time to respond!

Taylor DN3
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
Boss BR 1600CD
Zoom H4n
Dell XPS M1640
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Monitor Headphones

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write