The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 AM

All good, the point is improvements can always be made - to a point, people search high and low for the holy grail and some crazy stuff has been designed and made to accommodate their tastes, the true temperament system being one of those examples.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Default This is how I Tune -

just a thought.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 AM

check the string height at the nut on the B string. If it is too high, then having to deflect the string so much to get it to fret is causing it to play sharp. You can also re-work the nut to make it compensated just like the saddle is. It takes a little work, but worth it in the end.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Default Followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
You need to compensate the saddle more. Lengthen the B string.
John, I'm thinking this is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
Those numbers look odd to me. I'd probably try a new b string before I went further.
I can't believe I didn't think of changing the string before making my post. But I did re-string, and I have the same issue, so that's not it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The b string should be about 1.5 mm longer that the g string, and about .5 mm longer than the e string. IMO, of course, but my tuner agrees.
Bruce, I have trouble with very fine measurements. The B string is longer than both the E and G, but I can't be sure it's 1.5mm longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

just a thought.
Andy, I like your method and have watched this video before. Did not mitigate my problem, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
check the string height at the nut on the B string. If it is too high, then having to deflect the string so much to get it to fret is causing it to play sharp. You can also re-work the nut to make it compensated just like the saddle is. It takes a little work, but worth it in the end.
Tom, I checked the nut slot and it is not high. So I will take the guitar to someone experienced (that's not me!) to get the compensation checked.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair