The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-08-2018, 07:52 AM

Default stabilizing cracks, pitch pockets and voids

Question for the builders - what is the best way to stabilize cracks, pitch pockets, fissures, and such on back and side wood prior to use? Are there methods that work well enough to allow the use of wood that otherwise would be scrapped? Say you have a really nice figured set of very rare, scarce Unobtainia Scarceita moon wood, and it has some issues? How do you fix/fill/glue/stabilize it?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM

i recently took in some Cedro from a ~celebrity tonewood supplier~. 2 pieces 36" x 3" x 7/8" literally covered on all sides and dripping wet with succulent, moist, gooey sap. how nice of them.

at least with Cedro, sop is to cut and sand to near net then wipe down the leaky spots with alcohol or acetone. you want to draw out what you can. then get in there quick with a wash coat or two of shellac. repeat as needed down to final shape. i read that baking in an oven helps as well but that's not for me.

crack wise i tend to favor CA glue. consider your finish though; you may need to think about other glues depending.

Last edited by arie; 03-08-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Cracks are a case by case basis but mostly I use HHG or Titebond. Epoxy if it needs a bit of fill. I sometimes use CA but CA often times shows a glue line in lighter colored wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair