The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2016, 05:36 AM

Recorded pickup comparisons are a tough thing because unless you are careful to measure and set output levels identically, either record with no EQ (which wouldn't be the case in a live gig) AND most importantly use the same guitar, you're going to hear differences. The the full Anthem's flexibility has the detriment of a lot of mass on the guitar, and a foot print that is designed for only traditionally made guitars -- it's not going to fit your custom acoustic that may have tall braces around the sound hole. The sound you can get from the system in a recording is very different from the sound you'll be able to get live because you'll have to notch for feedback, low pass for boominess, and EQ for everything else to make it work in that room. That's not including hacking the low and low mids if you're playing in a band to leave room for drums, bass, keys, and low frequency vocals.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaro738 View Post
I'm used to play to 800 hundred people at church, but we have a good sound system, really rare to get feedback, i don't even remember the last time that we have feedback issue:

(i'm the one with takamine jumbo)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://scontent.fgig1-4.fna.fbcdn.n...8d&oe=582700E7

Do you think the sl can handle it ?
Yes, it will be fine. I honestly couldn't even get the Lyric to feedback on a very loud stage with 15" speaker/monitors in front of me. The SL has the UST so it's even better for feedback. You will be fine.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 PM

I've had an SL in my Taylor dread for a few months and just had an SL installed in my Gibson J15 and after tweaking the blend it sounds awesome. Using it in conjunction with a Session DI and I love this pickup system.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 PM

guys, wich one is the best?

Martin 00X1AE or Epiphone Masterbilt dr 500 rns?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

They are each the same system, with different preamp modules... both have an under saddle transducer, the Element, and both have a small microphone that affixes directly to the bridgeplate, the True-Mic.

The primary differences are the SIZE of the preamp module/control unit - the SL is slightly bigger than a Blue Chip pick, while the full Anthem has one the size of a small piece of cheesecake (you'd need to check the bracing around the soundhole of your guitar to ascertain whether that big one will fit... and the ADJUSTABILITY of each unit; the "full" Anthem has far more ways to adjust the sound from each component, while the SL (Slim Line) only gives you a way to set the balance between the Element and the True-Mic. With the SL, the Element reproduces primarily the lower bass frequencies and there is no way to change that setting; with the full version, you can designate the Element to reproduce full-range, thus enabling it's use as the only means to amplify the guitar... this could prove useful in a full band setting at higher volumes, where the acoustic guitar is may be more prone to feeding back...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Default recording

someone here have recorded your anthem sl in line? can u share it please ? i want to listen a strumming.

thank you guys
Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
someone here have recorded your anthem sl in line? can u share it please ? i want to listen a strumming.

thank you guys
I had a guy record in my studio direct with an Anthem SL just the other day. We mic'd the guitar as well but I can solo the Anthem. I'll see if I can get his permission to post a slice of it and put it up tomorrow. It recorded very well.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:14 PM

Default thanks!

cool, man. thank you so much, when you get his permission just say here. my e-mail if you prefer to send to there is " [email protected] " thank you so much!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:48 PM

Hey I was going to post a sound clip here but the I realized I've never posted a clip on the forum before and I found you can't just drag it in or attach it. I don't have a sound cloud acct. or any other host platform like that. Any suggestions?
thanks.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondylan View Post
Hey I was going to post a sound clip here but the I realized I've never posted a clip on the forum before and I found you can't just drag it in or attach it. I don't have a sound cloud acct. or any other host platform like that. Any suggestions?
thanks.

Just get a Soundcloud account. It's simple and free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondylan View Post
thanks.

or send me to my e-mail, please haha [email protected] or....sign in on soundclound :P
Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
or send me to my e-mail, please haha [email protected] or....sign in on soundclound :P
Okay I sent a little clip to your email. Getting my new sound cloud acct. figured out. Maybe I'll post some other clips in the future.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:43 AM

hey, john! Thanks sent it to me. What a natural sound ! is it with the standard blend/configuration ? i could like to get the full anthem just because is " the best" and bigger...but the anthem sl worth for the money and has a amazing sound! if you have some strumming recorded send to me again haha thank you so much !
Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
hey, john! Thanks sent it to me. What a natural sound ! is it with the standard blend/configuration ? i could like to get the full anthem just because is " the best" and bigger...but the anthem sl worth for the money and has a amazing sound! if you have some strumming recorded send to me again haha thank you so much !
Well I'll tell you this. I also play the Anthem SL and I actually like it better that the big anthem. I used to have the big one and for me anyway I never needed the extra features that come with it. I found I always had the blend in the one position I liked, didn't need the phase because I already had that in my outboard gear. Plus the SL seems to be louder and clearer for some reason. I don't feel like I've sacrificed anything and in fact I'm happier with the SL. For what it's worth. I'll see if I can make time to do some of my own recordings and post them. Just really busy at the moment.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 PM

thanks, john. you are the best (y) i'm going to buy the SL and take the rest of the money and buy a good reverb pedal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification