The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 AM

Default MM Blues resonator vs Gretsch Honey Dipper

These cost around the same in the UK, though the MM Blues comes with a case. The MM Blues is a steel bodied single cone, the Honey Dipper brass bodied single cone.

Here are 2 similar pieces played by the same player. I think the MM Blues has a slightly fuller sound, but both sound good, and both are great value. The MM Blues is £589 ($844) direct from Michael Messer. The Dipper from £429 to £629, depending on if it's standard or special, and on the shop.

MM Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q45_qj_Uv8k

Honey Dipper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSm2nQiQ64

I've had a couple of MM Blues, which were nice to play,and am thinking about getting the Gretsch.

Last edited by jansch; 04-01-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:59 AM
Guitar Gourmet

HERE is my little page on my search for a steel (I ended up with a Honey Dipper Special). It includes a comparison of the types of resonators and bodies. There's a sample from a recording session I played with the Gretsch at the bottom of the page.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-01-2016, 07:45 AM

1. The MM will be more "traditionally" designed.

2. There will be more attention to detail in the setup with the MM.

3. If something is wrong with the one you buy there will be more "personal service" in dealing with the situation. A human will make decisions as opposed to a person looking at a policy sheet and picking the answer that seems most appropriate.

As a US citizen I can assure that if MMs were available here for the price of the Gretsch.... Well there's really no need to finish that sentence, because the MM would be in direct competition with Republic guitars which cost 2 to 3 times what Gretsch does.

Not hating on the Gretsch. Just that it's more an Eastridge vs. 18 series Martin discussion. If you could get them for the same price, you wouldn't take a second making that decision.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
There will be more attention to detail in the setup with the MM.
That's true. The MM guitars are designed by Michael Messer, set up by Dave King, NRP's UK authorised repairer, and each guitar tested by Michael. The advantage the Gretsch models have is you can play them before buying. The MM guitars are available in Canada, at 12th fret in Toronto
http://www.12fret.com/new-instrument...rs/resophonic/

I've looked at Bob's post about the Honey Dipper several times, which is why I am considering it.

Last edited by jansch; 04-01-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch View Post
That's true. The MM guitars are designed by Michael Messer, set up by Dave King, NRP's UK authorised repairer, and each guitar tested by Michael. The advantage the Gretsch models have is you can play them before buying. They are available in Canada, at 12th fret in Toronto
http://www.12fret.com/new-instrument...rs/resophonic/

I've looked at Bob's post about the Honey Dipper several times, which is why I am considering it.
Does Gretsch mention who sets up and tests the Honey Dipper?

I won't beat the horse anymore, but this is a no brainer...
Old 04-02-2016, 05:27 PM

I played a Honey Dipper on Saturday, and took an instant dislike to it. The balance of the guitar was wrong, it looked poorly constructed, the parts looked cheap, the sound was weak, and the strings were unbalanced - some were too floppy, some weak, some difficult to tune.It's a shame, as I've heard some lovely playing on YT. I'm glad I tried it before buying!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I like the MM.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-03-2016, 05:44 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch View Post
I played a Honey Dipper on Saturday, and took an instant dislike to it. The balance of the guitar was wrong, it looked poorly constructed, the parts looked cheap, the sound was weak, and the strings were unbalanced - some were too floppy, some weak, some difficult to tune.It's a shame, as I've heard some lovely playing on YT. I'm glad I tried it before buying!
Yup, it is lower-bout heavy. Sorry your found the example to be poorly-built. I haven't found floppy strings except for possibly the high E. All the best in your search.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 PM

How can strings be floppy? Scale length doesn't change

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments