The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Default I Love Playing Guitar Everyday, I'm Afraid Not Too!

Hi Guys seriously....I am on my third attempt at learning to play and each time especially this time something has just clicked and I've got it learning songs in one sitting just all roound have the hang of it....The delima is sometimes when you come home from along day at work you may feel like not playing tonight....I think that if I skip a night I'll start skipping 2 then 3 then give up again.....So I sit down to play and its like a second wind and I'm enjoying it because it my passion/obsession and I love it sooooo much!! Did you ever skip a day when learning and did you loose the urge to play or did it get stronger?? I play everyday because I want not because I have too. What's your story?

Daza.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
....The delima is sometimes when you come home from along day at work you may feel like not playing tonight....I think that if I skip a night I'll start skipping 2 then 3 then give up again.....So I sit down to play and its like a second wind and I'm enjoying it because it my passion/obsession and I love it sooooo much!! Did you ever skip a day when learning and did you loose the urge to play or did it get stronger?? ...

IMO it is OK to skip a night. If you are as enthusiastic as you sound, it won't make any difference. I play almost everyday, but I will skip it some nights. I used to have to play everynight to make a living, so it is very nice to have the option. I also have found that skipping a noght can help when I am trying to learn a new technique. It seems to come easier sometimes if I don't beat myself down trying to get it exactly right night after night. I skip a night and then all is clear again.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I remember being the same way when I was first learning. I made sure I played at least a little bit every day. I even remember one night, a few months in, lying in bed and realizing I hadn't played anything that day. I leaned over in the dark, reached out for the guitar, and strummed my fingers across the strings-- just so I wouldn't break the streak. I guess I was a little obsessive, but that kind of obsession gets results.

Nowadays, I don't worry about it, and there are often days when I don't play at all. At the beginning of learning anything, though, it's a different story.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM

I am new to guitar and I am addicted. I have to pick it up daily. Sometimes its just there staring at me, especially if I'm playing madden. She's like "hello I'm over here" plus I work from home so its really hard to concentrate!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:07 PM

If you are new and having a lot of fun, you should look into trying to get a little recording setup. It's so fun to jam over your own songs, and it will teach you really quickly how to play with a metronome. I thought my timing was great until I tried recording, and now I've got it down easy. I've been playing probably for 8 or 9 years I imagine now, and it's more like brushing my teeth than it is practicing something. Just something that I do! Sometimes I will go a couple days without picking it up, but rarely.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
I am new to guitar and I am addicted. I have to pick it up daily. Sometimes its just there staring at me, especially if I'm playing madden. She's like "hello I'm over here" plus I work from home so its really hard to concentrate!
Teach me how to work from home!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write