The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Someone be kind enough to tab this for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hro5cfVjr8

I've seen various tabs online for this, but none of them sound right. Would any of you be willing to tab at least part of this out for me?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Smile Tabs vs Ear Training

Tabs are awesome, I wish I had them when I was learning...... or do I? One of the best things for developing your ear is figuring out tunes. You can do it and you will be happy you did and your ear will get better the more you do it.

Just figure out the bass notes or tonics of the chords first then flesh out the chords (They are all simple major or minor chords in this tune).

This reply is not meant to be flippant or terse but actual solid advice that will improve your playing. When I was growing up, I figure out Police songs, Talking Heads songs, Led Zep songs, Jimi Hendrix songs because TAB was not as readily available as it was today. I am glad I was forced to do that because there is not much thrown my way that I cannot eventually figure out. Do yourself a huge favor. Sit down with your tune and spend some time figuring it out. I guarantee you will get something out of it.

Wayne

PS: Wow! I am starting to sound like my dad.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM

I agree with the above post, but this song has a tricky tunning so it would be hard to figure it by ear if you dont have that much experience in tunnings.

This is accurate

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...guitar_pro.htm

You should play lead guitar 2 for playing alone.

Bear in mind that this is tuned at 1/4 note scale, i think its 448, so it will sound wrong unless you tune it that way. Thats why all tabs sounded wrong.

Last edited by RamóN; 05-09-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM

Believe me I'd love to be able to just sit down and figure out a song without needing tabs, but at my level of skill right now I have no idea where to even start. I'm just now at the point of memorizing all the notes along the fretboard, and can't imagine my ear being able to recognize all those individual sounds. So while I'd love to do that, and one day I'm sure I'll be able to, it's not happening for me right now.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls88 View Post
Believe me I'd love to be able to just sit down and figure out a song without needing tabs, but at my level of skill right now I have no idea where to even start. I'm just now at the point of memorizing all the notes along the fretboard, and can't imagine my ear being able to recognize all those individual sounds. So while I'd love to do that, and one day I'm sure I'll be able to, it's not happening for me right now.
You're probably more ready than you think. Even when you're good at it, it can be a lot of work, but you have to start somewhere.
I spent the evening last night transcribing the string parts for a song I'm doing an arrangement of. Some notes came quickly, and others took a lot of fishing around, but it's satisfying when you get it.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Well I know you're supposed to look for the root sound and go from there, but I have a hard time doing that. It just seems like there is way too many individual sounds a guitar can make between each note individually or the hundreds of chords you can come up with, that playing by ear is a ways off for me. I feel like it would take me hours just to pick up one note in a song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write