The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
IMO, and I have listened to lots of acoustic guitar recordings over the years with a critical ear, Ed (zenpicker) has been getting the recording sound nailed, even more so when you consider the price range of the mikes. I suggest you could do far worse than just copying his mike choices. You still have room acoustics and guitar variables to work on but it would be a good start.
Rick, kind of you to say this, but I actually aspire to sound like you! No kidding.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

OK, thanks for that info. I did purchase the single used CEMC-6 since it was a great deal. I've just received a response from David at Sound Pure - they can provide me with a match to this mic by serial number. That having been said, I wonder how important matching two mics of the same design is for my purposes? I've read that trying to mix 2 different SDCs in something like an XY config can mean big problems, but could I expect good results as long as I buy another CEMC-6?

I had a pair of HR824s that I sold - regretting that BIG now! I'm currently looking at some simple room treatments for my home space as well.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I'd suggest getting two of the same mic - e.g., a pair of Peluso CEMC6, instead of a SD/LD pair. You can always add a LD later, or at least try one to see if you like the SD/LD combination. There are reasons that a SD pair will work better for your situation. First, with both mics being the same, the stereo field will be more predictable and easier to work with. Second, you'll have more tried and true mic placements to experiment with, e.g., you can't do XY or ORTF with a SD/LD pair. There are other reasons.

As to preamps, of course a better preamp (or converters) will make a difference. But before you go down that road, you should look at two things that are usually more important - (i) your room acoustics and (ii) your nearfield monitors.

Last edited by Ryan Alexander; 06-03-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Hi Ryan,

I see you've made your purchase now, but for future reference, Rode microphones are generally a pretty safe bet if you're looking for the best possible sound for the least possible money.

The NT4 and NT5 certainly have a classy sound for the money, but they don't suit all acoustic guitars as they have a very restricted low frequency response, leading to a thin, dark sound - they seem to work best with big, rich-sounding guitars. I think Zenpicker's Octavas are probably a better choice in most situations. If you're looking for a cheaper SDC, it might be worth taking a look at the Superlux S241, which gets very good write-ups for such a cheap microphone. I can confirm that it sounds quite classy and much "warmer" than the Rode NT5.

I frequently find myself using a pair of Rode NT1A's for recording acoustic guitar - they don't have the hyped sound of many LDC's and cope better with transients. They are also the quietest microphones available. Paul White of Soundonsound magazine seems to swear by them.

Paul
Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Hey Paul - thanks for your input! I plan to pick up another CEMC-6 in a month or so, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to experimenting with the single mic. It would be nice to audition the NT4/NT5 at some point to compare, but if these Peluso mics are as good as everyone says I should be quite content

Also, my gear lust got the better of me and I couldn't help myself when I found a smokin' deal on a Rode K2 - it should be landing tomorrow. Looking forward to trying that by itself as well as in combo with the Peluso and on some vocals. That counts as a warning on the vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchevin View Post
Hi Ryan,

I see you've made your purchase now, but for future reference, Rode microphones are generally a pretty safe bet if you're looking for the best possible sound for the least possible money.

The NT4 and NT5 certainly have a classy sound for the money, but they don't suit all acoustic guitars as they have a very restricted low frequency response, leading to a thin, dark sound - they seem to work best with big, rich-sounding guitars. I think Zenpicker's Octavas are probably a better choice in most situations. If you're looking for a cheaper SDC, it might be worth taking a look at the Superlux S241, which gets very good write-ups for such a cheap microphone. I can confirm that it sounds quite classy and much "warmer" than the Rode NT5.

I frequently find myself using a pair of Rode NT1A's for recording acoustic guitar - they don't have the hyped sound of many LDC's and cope better with transients. They are also the quietest microphones available. Paul White of Soundonsound magazine seems to swear by them.

Paul
Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Default Mics

Hi-
I have also recorded fingerstyle guitar (at home) with 2 Oktava mics and been very pleased with the resulting sound. Additionally, I have used one Carvin tube mic, also with good results. The performance is what counts! Good luck! - jf
Old 06-12-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchevin View Post
Hi Ryan,

Paul
Sound On Sound did an article on me earlier this year re sound treatment (January issue). Paul White tried various mikes here including some Rode NT5s he was keen on. The best natural sound to my ears was my own Rode NT2 big condensor.

I can tell you that we got creditable results from some small Takstar PCM 6100 condensor mikes which were less than £5 each (new) off eBay. I actually did an A/B test with some SE-1s - Paul heard the difference (bit of compression apparently) but I didn't and neither did my mates including another seasoned producer

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell