The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-04-2021, 04:46 AM

Default Does the modern nitro used on Gibsons wear out like bakc in the day?

Hello, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Gibson still uses nitro finish on all their guitars. I was looking to buy a new guitar (Still don't know if a J15, J45 Studio, G45 Studio or a Les Paul Tribute lol) and I'd like to know how much does it take for it to wear out. I don't care much about it but I like to know that eventually it will look "used", compared to the poly finish used by Fender which will basically always look the same even after 500 years of hard strumming. Thanks.

Last edited by angelo_; 02-04-2021 at 04:48 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-04-2021, 05:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Gibson has been slowly changing their lacquer over the years. One of the changes has been a plasticizer that makes the finish more flexible and reduces the chances of paint checking due to temperature changes. I'm not sure of any other changes to the formula that would cause differences. Take a look at the relic'd guitars: as much is possible in an entirely artificial process, they look like they've aged by contact and casualty.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:40 AM

Well,, here's a 26 year old les paul that's been played a lot.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 AM

My 28 year old J-30 has a few nitro cracks, but they are subtle. My 26 year old ES-335 doesn't have any. Interestingly, they were made almost the same week, just different years. Not planned that way, just turned out.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
g45, gibson, j15, nitro, wear