The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-09-2021, 05:19 AM

Question Stainless steel pickguard - does it interfere in guitar sound ?

I want to make a SS pickguard for my Strat and I wonder if it will interfere in the sound ?
Old 01-09-2021, 05:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winblows View Post
I want to make a SS pickguard for my Strat and I wonder if it will interfere in the sound ?
Many early Fender electric basses came with anodized aluminum pickguards, and while aluminum is far softer than stainless steel, it is metal, so perhaps it will be fine.

HE
Old 01-09-2021, 07:59 AM

Aluminum is not ferric so you wouldn't expect it to interact with the strings or pickups. Stainless steel can be, depending on its composition and it might have an effect. For instance many people believe that the steel plate that surrounds the bridge pickup of a Telecaster is responsible for its distinctive sound. James Trussart makes some great electric guitars with steel bodies. You migh want to contact them. My guess is that you will have to experiment to see whether your guitar will sound the same or different.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:20 AM

It'll be easier to shield the electronics. I have one of those "J Mascis" Squier Jazzmasters with an anodized metal pickguard. Remarkably quiet compared to other guitars with single coil pickups. Saves one from working with metal foil to do the same thing.

Whether a stainless steel pickguard would change the magnetic flux field, and if that'd be a good or bad thing I don't know. I'm aware of the Tele bridge theory, but if it's there it's kind of subtle.

If steel is a look that pleases you, I say go for it. If it sounds different, that'd be a bonus.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars