The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Default NCFGD - Journey RT660

I saw a reasonably good deal come up on one of these and my self delusion for GAS justification was that I needed a carbon guitar that would travel moderately easy for playing up in ski area parking lots and on my boat when it is hot and maybe take to the beach and not worry about.

I figured demountable neck for occasional plane travel but not so concerned about quick fold and absolute minimal space as I have my Furch Little Jane for that.

Same reasoning I wanted a fuller size / sound than my Klos travel guitar which currently fills the above roles.

The RT is much bigger than the Klos. See below photo for comparison. The sound is considerably deeper / fuller as well.

Overall I have to say for a mass produced lower cost carbon guitar so far I quite like it.

To my memory it sounds fuller than the OF660 I tried a few years back but it's been a long time.

More detailed review to follow.

IMG_20210104_215439512.jpg

Last edited by Aspiring; 01-05-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:28 PM

I almost went for this myself. Great reviews. Nice score!
Old 01-06-2021, 10:07 AM

Congratulations!
Old 01-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Journey - I look forward to your review.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all.

I will add this for anyone that is looking.

The few reviews that i saw mentioned that the guitar was a bit quiet and very warm sounding. Definitely not the more typical carbon bright tone even with the stock elixirs.

I would agree with both although the volume has been improving as I go over the setup more.

I will also confirm the neck is detachable. I had the same questions as I looked at the information online.

This is on the order of the Klos for difficulty. There are two allen head bolts inside at the base of the neck that need to be removed after the strings are detensioned. It is a bit more awkward to do it than on the klos because of the positioning of the bolts on the inside but assembly / disassembly for me once I figured out the right approach is about a ten minute job. Not something I would do often but easy enough for occasional plane travel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber