The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-23-2020, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on Rickenbacker 325C64

I'm thinking of getting one of these mainly just to get some of the old Beatles sound. All the reviews online seem to be pretty good. These are expensive little devils and kind of hard to get.

Anyone have one and can give their thoughts, especially concerning the short scale.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I'm thinking of getting one of these mainly just to get some of the old Beatles sound...These are expensive little devils and kind of hard to get...
Found one for you:

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/r...5c64-jetglo-4/

If it's too pricey, one of these will get you the toaster-top tone and all the classic early-60's Rick visuals for significantly less outlay:

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/r...guitar-jetglo/
Old 12-23-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. I saw the ones above online. Like I said, pricey.

Sure wish there was some way to play one of those before purchase. That's why I'm looking for some opinions. I won't be buying until after the holidays.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:44 AM

I haven't played that particular model, but I was in a Beatles cover band for a lot of years, so I do have a Ric - mine's a 330. It's a well-made, quality guitar that sounds great, which pretty much describes most Rickenbackers. I don't know what other equipment you have, but I thought I'd mention this: a Telecaster thru a Janglebox into a Vox AC15 (or a clean Fender) will give plenty of that mid-60s chime that you're looking for. I often use that combination if I'm playing tunes from that era, and it's really very close to having a Ric.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I haven't played that particular model, but I was in a Beatles cover band for a lot of years, so I do have a Ric - mine's a 330. It's a well-made, quality guitar that sounds great, which pretty much describes most Rickenbackers. I don't know what other equipment you have, but I thought I'd mention this: a Telecaster thru a Janglebox into a Vox AC15 (or a clean Fender) will give plenty of that mid-60s chime that you're looking for. I often use that combination if I'm playing tunes from that era, and it's really very close to having a Ric.
Thanks for there feedback. I have quite a few guitars including a Rickenbacker 360/12. I was just thinking of adding the John Lennon 325 to my collection. I'm sure I will but just have to wait until after paying off some holiday bills.

Sweetwater has given me a descent quote on a new one but it will be a while before they get it in stock. I'm in no hurry.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
...Sweetwater has given me a decent quote on a new one but it will be a while before they get it in stock. I'm in no hurry...
Good thing, because TMK there's an 18-24 month wait on new Ricks depending on model ; then again, there's no harm in giving Andy a call and seeing if he'll price-match - I understand he's very competitive in this department on the more common models, so it's well worth a try...
Old 12-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Found one for you:

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/r...5c64-jetglo-4/

If it's too pricey, one of these will get you the toaster-top tone and all the classic early-60's Rick visuals for significantly less outlay:

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/r...guitar-jetglo/
Andy's shop is on the other side of Rochester from where I live. I haven't been in his place but have dealt with him when he worked at The House Of Guitars. Good Man!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-27-2020, 10:56 PM

I had one. I couldn't get used to the teeny neck, but it sounded good
Old 12-31-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Do you mean in width or length?
Old 12-31-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I just unloaded a 330/12W for the same reason: I am quite comfortable on my Tak 12-string, but after several months could never come to terms with the Ric. It was really difficult to only depress the courses I wanted to with my big fingertips. I think Rics are great - but only for folks with rather delicate fingers...
Old 01-01-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I just unloaded a 330/12W for the same reason: I am quite comfortable on my Tak 12-string, but after several months could never come to terms with the Ric. It was really difficult to only depress the courses I wanted to with my big fingertips. I think Rics are great - but only for folks with rather delicate fingers...
That's why I have a 660-12. Wider fingerboard.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Do you mean in width or length?
width, it was way too narrow!
Old 01-07-2021, 03:46 AM

I had one for a while. It was harder to get used to the short scale than I thought. Well I guess I never did, as I traded it in. Beautiful fit and finish however. I'd get a full scale Rick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars