The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-26-2020, 06:17 PM

Default In search of my first electric guitar

Hi folks. A few months back I posted about in search of an electric guitar. Well, this Christmas my wife approved. My budget is $600-$800. Either solid or semi-hollow. There is so much to choose from. One guitar that caught my eye is an Danelectro, Sounds to have a good variety of tone you can pull out of it, Also considering Epiphone or Ibanez. Leaning towards the semi-hollow body. Any suggestions in this price range would be greatly appreciated.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-26-2020, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

I just sold a Squire Telecaster thinline. Really nice natural finish, and played great. Should be some available well within that range.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-26-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Hi folks. A few months back I posted about in search of an electric guitar. Well, this Christmas my wife approved. My budget is $600-$800. Either solid or semi-hollow. There is so much to choose from. One guitar that caught my eye is an Danelectro, Sounds to have a good variety of tone you can pull out of it, Also considering Epiphone or Ibanez. Leaning towards the semi-hollow body. Any suggestions in this price range would be greatly appreciated.
It’s enough to drive you crazy, isn’t it? I’m a very new player and have been toying with the idea of an electric. I think I’m headed down PRS land. I want a stoptail, not a tremolo bridge, and I think I’m leaning towards either an SE 245 or SE Zach Myers. Going to wait until mid January when the 2021’s are announced though. Good luck finding the right one and let us know what you get!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-26-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Hi folks. A few months back I posted about in search of an electric guitar....My budget is $600-$800. Either solid or semi-hollow...Leaning towards the semi-hollow body. Any suggestions in this price range would be greatly appreciated.
Got your guitar right here - the last of the Korean-built Electromatics:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ay-with-bigsby

Don't confuse this with the current Chinese 5622 (which has full-size Broad'Tron humbuckers - essentially the same pickups as the entry-level Streamliners - and silver pickup rings/guard, whereas the MIK has Super Hi'lo'Trons and sand-colored plasticware as per the above photo) - it's a fully professional-quality instrument in terms of both construction and tone, that just happens to sell at a step-up price; I've played a few (and own the predecessor 3-PU cats'-eye version) and IME you're not going to find this combination of tone, playability, and QC for anywhere near the price - mine is one of exactly three guitars I've owned over the last six decades that needed no post-purchase setup whatsoever (FYI one of the others was also a late-model Gretsch) - and if you're an early Beatles fan as I am, playing one of these through a Vox AC10 or AC30S1 is an instant time trip to the Cavern Club in mid-1963. Highly recommended - and if you don't already own a good mid-powered tube amp, there's a factory-authorized $200-off sale on the latter at all of the big-box dealers...
Old 12-26-2020, 08:29 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ntage-sunburst
Old 12-27-2020, 08:46 AM

Hey Marty, what kind of bands/songs are you looking to play? That may help in recommending single coils vs humbuckers and perhaps the guitar type. For example, if someone wanted to play Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff I'd recommend a Strat with single coils (or at least a single coil in the neck position).

Make sure you include an amp in your guitar budget. The right amp will contribute to %50 of your tone.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Marty, what kind of bands/songs are you looking to play? That may help in recommending single coils vs humbuckers and perhaps the guitar type. For example, if someone wanted to play Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff I'd recommend a Strat with single coils (or at least a single coil in the neck position).

Make sure you include an amp in your guitar budget. The right amp will contribute to %50 of your tone.
Hi Dru. I like some jazz and blues, sort of a clean sound, I guess. Definitely something versatile. What do you think of the "split coil" button?
Old 12-27-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
It’s enough to drive you crazy, isn’t it? I’m a very new player and have been toying with the idea of an electric. I think I’m headed down PRS land. I want a stoptail, not a tremolo bridge, and I think I’m leaning towards either an SE 245 or SE Zach Myers. Going to wait until mid January when the 2021’s are announced though. Good luck finding the right one and let us know what you get!
Hello Carol. Yes, there is so much to choose from. Split tail Vs Tremolo bridge?
Old 12-27-2020, 11:45 AM

That new release Epiphone ES335 at $600 is right in your budget! You can play any style you want on a guitar like that. I think I am trying to convince myself it would be OK to order one��Merry Christmas CoolCat��I hope you find the electric of your dreams.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...erry-tea-burst
Old 12-27-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
That new release Epiphone ES335 at $600 is right in your budget! You can play any style you want on a guitar like that. I think I am trying to convince myself it would be OK to order one��Merry Christmas CoolCat��I hope you find the electric of your dreams.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...erry-tea-burst
Very nice! Thank you for the post!
Old 12-27-2020, 01:46 PM

Think I'm leaning towards the Epiphone ES-335. Sounds like a nice guitar, heard some folks review here, and leaves enough for an amp..hopefully lol
Old 12-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Check out the newest Epiphone Prophecy line. Solid body (Les Paul, SG, Flying V, and Extura). Each has the Fishman Fluence pickup system. I have one on order, hope to see it in a week or so.

I've been playing for 50+ years, haven't had a solid body electric since the 90s; a 335 and Taylor T5 have taken care of my electric needs. Till now.

Good luck with the search.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Hi Dru. I like some jazz and blues, sort of a clean sound, I guess. Definitely something versatile. What do you think of the "split coil" button?
I think you're on the right path looking for a semi-hollow body. Try out a couple first because they can be big (size wise, not tone wise).

Coil spilts are common features on guitars now. It gives you the option to go from humbucking to a single coil tone (although it's not as nice as an actual single coil). I have a few guitars with them but don't use them.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:21 PM

I think you are on the right track with the Epiphone ES-335. My vote would be for that or a tele. I had a Dano. It was nice....but...the neck is tiny and the nut rather cramped. I do not recommend one for your first or only electric.

A semi-hollow like an ES-335 feels the most familiar to an acoustic. A Gretsch is also a possibility, but I have found I like 335 styles better.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Hello Carol. Yes, there is so much to choose from. Split tail Vs Tremolo bridge?
Yes, stoptail (it’s a fixed bridge with no tremolo bar) instead of tremolo bridge for me since I’m a beginner and I don’t want to deal with the intonation issues of a tremolo bridge. I think I want to play similar music to you. I’m really, really leaning towards the PRS SE Zach Myers semi hollow. The Epiphone ES335 that Chickee posted above has a stoptail.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars