The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-01-2017, 06:40 AM

Default Your opinions on the Journey OF660

I keep coming back to the OF660 as a practical travel companion and backup guitar. I carried a GS Mini on planes for a while but concluded my RainSong dreadnought was not that much longer in a low end gig bag (Access Stage 1) and (somewhat illogically) went back to carrying a Traveler Escape MKIII (mahogany, I recently upgraded from a MKII -- really not that bad to play but not nearly as satisfying as a real acoustic guitar for me). The Journey would still require early boarding to secure overhead space, but the Journey would take up little space and might be more practical on an international flight where there is no FAA ruling on musical instruments. However a green tagged late checked Journey might get the wheelie treatment as there is little hint to a baggage handler what is inside the bag.

What are your thoughts on its volume and tone? I find a Baby Taylor unacceptable and a GS Mini competitive with a real guitar, for reference. I have bought and sold two CA Cargos over the years as I found them almost as bulky as the much louder GS Mini and the very short scale bothered me (probably mostly because I thought too much about it :~). The YouTube OF660 reviews go from an enthusiastic Don Ross to what seems an underwhelmed Tony Polecastro. I am definitely set on CF or just sticking with the Traveler.

I plan on calling Ted shortly about this.

Thanks! Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 AM

I'm not directly familiar with the Journey OF660, but your logic works for me. I too find the Baby Taylor to be anemic (the Little Martin sounds better, IMO). Ted will give you the straight answer, and is your best resource.

The only disagreement I have is the CA Cargo versus the GS Mini. Once she got a Cargo the wife sold her GS Mini, having not touched it in a year. We liked the sound better, and had both at the same time. Cargo at 22.75" is definitely shorter scale length than the Mini (23.5").
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 AM

I owned an OF660 for about a year. I think that if you are looking for a travel guitar, it is hard to beat. Fingerstyle I thought it sounded pretty good, but strumming for me was less desirable, and partly why I sold it(I was also mostly lusting after a Lucky 13). If you are a heavy strummer it may not satisfy you, but I think it is important to temper your expectations if you want a plane friendly guitar. I flew with it no problems, definitely fits easily in overhead compartments.
As a comparison, I feel the cargo sounds better strummed. Ergonomically the Journey was better for me, larger body, longer scale length.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:41 PM

I've had mine for about a week now and I love it. I've owned different travel guitars (both wood and carbon), and I would say that I like the tone of this one best. The portability is great, but I do not travel much and the Journey sits out on a guitar stand in my music room whereas my other guitars are in cases. To me, it all has to do with setup and the strings you use with this particular model. I shared this on another thread, but the guitar is inherently rich and warm. With phosphor bronze strings, it sounds dark and muted. It really comes alive with regular bronze strings. Currently, I have Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings and it plays and sounds great.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:24 PM

I don't have the OF660 but used to own a Journey OF420 (bought from Ted), and really loved it. Size in the case is 22x14x9" (same as OF660), which is the official carry-on size per FAA standards. So - if there's any overhead bin space, you take your guitar on board, every time. Even on the smallest turboprop or regional jet...every time. No other travel guitar at similar or lower price point gives you that. If you need the travel capability and don't want to risk a small jet forced gate-check event, this is a great way to go. No knock on Voyage-Air, GS mini or many other options (I've owned them as well, great guitars), but Journey will give you lowest travel stress.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:17 AM

I know this is an old thread, but commenting anyway to help future readers. I bought my OF660 a year ago and I think it's the best guitar purchase I ever made. To put it simply, I love it. It's obviously fantastic for travelling, but it's the ergonomics and the lack of worry of having carbon fibre that are the icing on the cake. I leave it out permanently, and as a result I play more, and enjoy it more.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:13 AM

I did buy an OF660 and returned it during the eval period. It was a little too mellow sounding for me. To my eye for that particular guitar, the construction looked rough. Taking off the neck is easy but I was turned off by that once I had it in hand. I've had a CH-PA since last August and it has become my daily player, main gigging guitar, and my travel guitar. Something about it's tone has really grown on me and if you hit it hard it has plenty of acoustic umph. I recently upgraded to a TKL 8975 Deluxe Parlor case which fits perfectly with minimum total bulk, is a good fit to an overhead bin, and would certainly survive the ocasional gate check.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-20-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:37 PM

I played one side by side with a Rainsong Parlor last time I was in LA.

Brighter than I liked. Preferred the Rainsong. On the other hand, really hard to argue with the removable neck for air travel.

(the one I played may have been an earlier one, I understand they have made some changes in the last year or so)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 PM

Just call me Wood Head. The Voyage-Air Dred is awesome for travel. Inexpensive, full sized, fits in overhead bins and has great sound.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

I had the opportunity to play an OF660 at the recent gathering at Kramster's place... I thought it was a very decent guitar; played good and sounded good. I wouldn't trade my Emerald X7 for one, but it was more comfortable and sounded better than a GSmini (to me). The neck removal, and the bag/backpack for it make it unique in the carbon fiber world, and very practical for someone who flies a lot. I did find it to be neck heavy, presumably due to the neck hardware, but didn't have any issue holding it on my lap.

There is a current video here from new member Crab that has a good review of the OF660 and does compare it with a GSmini in that video.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had the opportunity to play an OF660 at the recent gathering at Kramster's place... I thought it was a very decent guitar; played good and sounded good. I wouldn't trade my Emerald X7 for one, but it was more comfortable and sounded better than a GSmini (to me). The neck removal, and the bag/backpack for it make it unique in the carbon fiber world, and very practical for someone who flies a lot. I did find it to be neck heavy, presumably due to the neck hardware, but didn't have any issue holding it on my lap.

My analysis is pretty much in line with Captain Jim's. Only thing I would add is that I thought the action on the one we played was pretty high. I didn't find it any more neck heavy than a Rainsong though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Only thing I would add is that I thought the action on the one we played was pretty high. .
It can be set lower of course. Spose I should have at it.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-26-2018, 09:12 AM

Strings made a big difference in my OF660. So did setup. The guitar came alive with aluminum bronze strings.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Just in case you missed the video review here that I mentioned...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=501505
Old 02-26-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
but it was more comfortable and sounded better than a GSmini (to me).

There is a current video here from new member Crab that has a good review of the OF660 and does compare it with a GSmini in that video.
I think the OF660 is more comfortable, but I like the gs-mini koa tone better, and the gs-mini is way louder. In the video, it was all recorded with the same mic placement, and played the same way, as much as I could anyway. And the volume level differences seem to be less pronounced in video than it is in real life, from player standpoint. I purposely didn’t eq in post or adjust volume levels between them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber