The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-23-2020, 10:23 AM

I've been away from the forum for a few days as my brother who lives out of state was visiting.

Thanks for the links on biasing - I will definitely read them. I really was hoping that the G20 and Origin 20 would be plug and play - still may be in a practical sense, but I'll know more after reading up on this topic. The EL34s I currently have on hand are JJ (ampex matched (?)), GT-R, GT-M, and EH.

There seems to be some, simple for some people, mods folks have done with capacitors and such, but I won't be attempting those. I've survived a couple near death experiences due to inattentive drivers to meet my demise from a high voltage shock. The cautionary high voltage warning is always beneficial, especially for those folks reading this thread who are even greener than i am.

I'm on vacation through the first of the new year and will be trying a couple different tubes in the V5 and maybe the Eight 15 speaker. Today, it's splitting fire wood - supposed to get snowy and then cold for Christmas.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:45 AM

I couldn't not read the biasing links. I think I'll be alright - the Origin 20 is cathode biased and G20 Infinium was marketed as being able to replace tubes (even a single bad tube) without issues. The EL34s I have seem pretty mainstream and I think they're all rated as "medium" so hopefully there won't be any issues upon replacement.

The Godin looks sharp (I like the Cognac finish) and has very good reviews. I've been allowing myself a new guitar and a new amp each year the past few years. I jumped into 2021 early with a J45 in November so I'll have to wait.

I've ordered many guitars and other items from MF over the years, but have had some problems recently. I ordered a Player Telecaster early last June but didn't receive it until early August. The rub is that during that whole period it was listed as in stock - I did contact them and they confirmed it was back ordered. I originally tried to buy my J45 from MF also - listed as in stock. A manager from a GC store in the state emailed me it was back ordered and offered me the option of a floor model. I greatly appreciated his contact, but bought a new guitar from Sweetwater. I hope the financial challenges faced by GC/MF are resolved soon.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
...The Godin looks sharp (I like the Cognac finish) and has very good reviews. I've been allowing myself a new guitar and a new amp each year the past few years. I jumped into 2021 early with a J45 in November so I'll have to wait..
FYI MF apparently did some juggling of the links since my prior post (they're showing the humbucker version) - here's the P-90 model I was referring to (BTW I own the now-discontinued blonde version and it's everything the reviews say it is, and more - one of only three guitars I've owned since 1962 that needed no setup whatsoever):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...i-cognac-burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars