The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Emerald X20-12...

I'm still amazed how quickly this guitar reached me after it was actually shipped. It seems like two days ago it was in Cologne, Germany and now it's in my living room outside Charlottesville. As pleased as I am with my new Emerald, I'm also happy to report that there were no extra custom fees. It was a "custom order" for which I specified:

No electronics
Satin finish
Gig bag

I'd ordered it in August as a Christmas present to myself and hoped to get it by the 25th so I was very surprised when it showed up in the 11/20/2020 shipping video. The tone and playability are amazing. It really projects well to the player thanks to the sound hole, and I really think that the satin finish warms up the tone compared to a glossy finish.

So far I've played some Boston, and the action is spot on. After the initial tuning, it seems to be staying in tune quite nicely. I know that 12 string guitars and Emerald's satin finish aren't everybody's thing, but I couldn't be more pleased with this guitar. After playing my X30 since last June, this X20-12 feels small but very comfortable.

The thing I like about the satin finish is that it doesn't show fingerprints like the gloss finish as well as having a very cool "stealth" look to quote Alistair from the shipping video. Yes there's an uncharge for satin, but that was balanced out by not getting electronics or a Hiscox case. All in all I couldn't be happier with it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:38 PM

Congrats Joel. A 12 string that stays in tune is worth its weight in gold. Looks like you're ready from some front (or back) porch pickin'!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:37 PM

I'm hoping to be able to get an X30 soon, just have to sell most of my gear. I'm so impressed by their customer service and just stumbled on their shipping videos, which are an awesome idea. I feel like 12 strings and carbon fiber are a match made in heaven. I would assume the extra strings paired with the strength of CF would make the perfect 12.
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12
Old 12-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsquatch View Post
...I feel like 12 strings and carbon fiber are a match made in heaven. I would assume the extra strings paired with the strength of CF would make the perfect 12.
It would sure get my vote plus they tend to remain in tune longer than a wooden 12 string...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-02-2020, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

It’s what sold me on a CF guitar — I have a customized X20-12 and since I live in a cold dry climate (Alaska) not having to worry about how the weather affects my guitar is very important. For me there can be slight changes in the tuning because of the temperature change between inside my house (68 degrees) and outside (-5 degrees at the moment) but in general I rarely have to tune and not having to worry about humidity is a +, neck never warping or truss rod tweaking, and then there is the awesome tone, great coloration (amber with a veneer top), etc .... yeah great instrument, easy playing ... well worth the wait time and the cost.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 12-03-2020, 08:02 AM

The perfect 12 string would have Gibson robot tuners

Congrats on the NGD, looks tasty.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-03-2020, 09:49 AM

Very, very nice. Congrats!
Old 12-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I never wanted to own a 12 string, but I always enjoyed playing them when friends had 'em. I still mostly feel the same way, but it's been years since I've played one. If I ever did buy one, it would probably be an X20, for the relative tuning stability if nothing else. And there's plenty else!

Congratulations and enjoy it!

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 12-03-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Guest 928

RP;

Very nice guitar--clean and to your specs. I've always enjoyed 12 string instruments when some else did the tuning. Having one that stays in tune is motivating.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:57 AM

Cool and understated stealth fighter look to that satin finish on black. I don't know if you are into nicknaming your guitars, but "Nighthawk" immediately comes to mind.

I too have a custom X20-12 from a couple of years ago and can vouch for the tuning stability. I got into CF guitars initially from my time in Alaska, where wood fears to tread. A Rainsong WS-1000 was the only thing that could live outside of a humidified case, and is still a favored guitar. I would have also gone for a WS-3000 twelve string back then, but they were discontinued before I was ready to make that leap. So I ended up happily with the Emerald X20-12. I went with a custom 24.6" short scale which makes it easier to play.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Cool and understated stealth fighter look to that satin finish on black. I don't know if you are into nicknaming your guitars, but "Nighthawk" immediately comes to mind...
I don't name my guitars, but will keep "Nighthawk" in mind should I decide to start....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-03-2020, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Woah that looks slick in satin! Cool choice!
Old 12-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgavy View Post
Woah that looks slick in satin! Cool choice!
Thanks Simon and starting me on this satin bandwagon. It's been said in the past 24 hours that my two satin Emerald guitars, like Superman and Clark Kent, never appear on screen at the same time. So, I took a shot of the two in front of my Mazda MX5 to prove that I do, in fact, own two different satin Emeralds. In case you were wondering, it's always 5 o'clock at my house....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:03 PM

Congrats; love the satin finish!

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 12-04-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The perfect 12 string would have Gibson robot tuners
And the worst case of neck dive ever
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber