The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-11-2020, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Zoom H4n questions

I have this device which I am now using in my lessons. I will lay down a progression of chords and then loop the playback and improvise on top. But the internal speaker is weak and does not project nearly enough. I do use a high quality set of ear buds, but they tend to isolate the guitar. So either one “track” or the other is muted. My question is whether there is a single or pair of external speakers that this device could drive.
I know nothing about sound processing or programs that do it. But, as a photographer, I am very familiar with Photoshop/Lightroom and am wondering if there is an equivalent kind of intuitive program to process the files produced by the Zoom device.
Much obliged.
David
Old 06-11-2020, 07:19 AM

Hi there! I'm unsure about the first part of our question –– although I'm fairly sure you'd be able to get small, powered speaker of the kind you used to be able to plug into 'walkmans' and such before Bluetooth took over, and it would be infinitely better than the internal on the Zoom device.

As for the second part, Audacity is a free, open-source and super-easy to use recording programme (find it via Google). It's very basic though and doesn't do very well with adding effects and such, where it really shows itself as a cheap and cheerful option.

Reaper (again, find it via google) is free for 60 days and then very affordable should you wish to carry on with it. Steeper learning curve, but you can learn as much or as little as you want to and there are masses of online tutorials and forums about it. Any time I've had a question about it, I have found the answer in minutes. It's a marvel, IMO.

Happy picking!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-11-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Rick, much obliged for your reply. I will check out your suggestions.
David
Old 06-11-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I have this device which I am now using in my lessons. I will lay down a progression of chords and then loop the playback and improvise on top. But the internal speaker is weak and does not project nearly enough. I do use a high quality set of ear buds, but they tend to isolate the guitar. So either one “track” or the other is muted. My question is whether there is a single or pair of external speakers that this device could drive.
I know nothing about sound processing or programs that do it. But, as a photographer, I am very familiar with Photoshop/Lightroom and am wondering if there is an equivalent kind of intuitive program to process the files produced by the Zoom device.
Much obliged.
David
I highly advise that you consider an external battery powered stereo speaker such as a Creative D80. I have a similar model that I carry around from place to place and use for a variety of reasons. These are easy to move around and are quite loud with good bass for their size. Connectivity is easy, use the headphone output of your H4 to the front jack input of the D80. Any device that has built-in bluetooth also can be used.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-D80-...D2YY1PWDXDXC9S

Your file use question is a different catagory. Your H4 can have the recording file format specified that can be worked with by any number of computer software programs, even something as simple (and free...) as Audacity. You don't need to do anything with the recorded files to use your H4 to drive an external powered speaker.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Much obliged.
David
Hi David
I own an H4n, and would never consider using it to loop.

A more straight-forward option is to pick up an inexpensive looper, and it makes the task straight forward, fun and addictive.

They start at around $45 on Amazon (plus you need a small power supply since they are so small they don't hold a battery).

Have fun experimenting.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-11-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I highly advise that you consider an external battery powered stereo speaker such as a Creative D80.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-D80-...D2YY1PWDXDXC9S
Thanks. Am checking that out. And have also read up on Audacity.
Cheers.
David
Old 06-11-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi David
I own an H4n, and would never consider using it to loop.
Why not? I have been using the AB loop function and it works perfectly for my purposes.
Does the dedicated loop device do something different/better?
Tx
David
Old 06-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why not? I have been using the AB loop function and it works perfectly for my purposes.
Does the dedicated loop device do something different/better?
Tx
David
Hi David

Working perfectly is the goal…I learned something new.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-11-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I use audioengine powered speakers and they work great. Standard headphone cord works well. Also plugged into presonus studio monitors
Old 06-11-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Am checking that out. And have also read up on Audacity.
IMO, I would skip Audacity. I used it in the past, and once I went to Reaper, I wonder why I didn't switch sooner. Reaper has far more functionality, and although it may look more intimidating at first, a lot of things (adding FX, editing, etc.) are actually easier than in Audacity.

As noted, free for 60 days with full functionality (and, tbh, free forever if you want to use it as "nag ware") and only $60 to purchase.

Also, if you have the whole Adobe CC suite, you may already have Audition, which can also process and edit audio.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the help. I will check out all your suggestions.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD