The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-07-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Default How are you getting your audio into your IPad or other tablet.

How are you getting your audio into your IPad or other tablet?
Looking for options so I can use the internal camera on my iPad mini while sending my audio signal from my converter to the iPad mini (see listed equipment below)

Would this work? Any other suggestions -
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...camera-adapter

Any advice is appreciated, such as, do I need to manually turn off the iPad mic or does it shut off when I plug in the USB to lightning connector. Is it a plug and play set up or are there other parameters That I need to set/change. Do I need other software to take advantage of the higher end audio or can I just use the video recorder that’s in the IPAD. And any other advice before I start hooking things up.

What I have.
1 iPad mini as well as a few android tablets. Also have an older windows 10 based tablet.
1 Great River 2 channel preamp
1 USB audio interface - RMX Fireface UCX
1 Firewore 4 interface - Apogee Rosetta 200 (have the RMX slaved to this via FireWire in order to take advantage of the apogee conversion and colorization)
2 good mics
Well treated and good sounding room
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
How are you getting your audio into your IPad or other tablet?
Looking for options so I can use the internal camera on my iPad mini while sending my audio signal from my converter to the iPad mini (see listed equipment below)

Would this work? Any other suggestions -
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...camera-adapter

Any advice is appreciated, such as, do I need to manually turn off the iPad mic or does it shut off when I plug in the USB to lightning connector. Is it a plug and play set up or are there other parameters That I need to set/change. Do I need other software to take advantage of the higher end audio or can I just use the video recorder that’s in the IPAD. And any other advice before I start hooking things up.

What I have.
1 iPad mini as well as a few android tablets. Also have an older windows 10 based tablet.
1 Great River 2 channel preamp
1 USB audio interface - RMX Fireface UCX
1 Firewore 4 interface - Apogee Rosetta 200 (have the RMX slaved to this via FireWire in order to take advantage of the apogee conversion and colorization)
2 good mics
Well treated and good sounding room
HI Mb

I'm just using the iPad or iPhone as a camera to capture video, and then exporting the video to comine with external audio in post. Apple's Camera Adapter is a good way to interface Lighting port iPads with the outside world, and it's often used.

Using your existing outboard gear, you could also just record the audio on a field recorder, or your computer with a DAW (like Zoom H series) and combine them in post. This nets the best results soundwise.

On my iPad pro 12.9" I have a USB-C breakout box which accepts a number of inputs including USB-C, standard USB, and SD cards. I still find it simpler to just use my Zoom recorders as an external mic/sound capture device rather than trying to get it to all work together. This not only makes editing it down later easier (don't have to separate audio and video to edit audio), and it improves the quality of the audio.

Have fun experimenting!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Mb

I'm just using the iPad or iPhone as a camera to capture video, and then exporting the video to comine with external audio in post. Apple's Camera Adapter is a good way to interface Lighting port iPads with the outside world, and it's often used.

Using your existing outboard gear, you could also just record the audio on a field recorder, or your computer with a DAW (like Zoom H series) and combine them in post. This nets the best results soundwise.

On my iPad pro 12.9" I have a USB-C breakout box which accepts a number of inputs including USB-C, standard USB, and SD cards. I still find it simpler to just use my Zoom recorders as an external mic/sound capture device rather than trying to get it to all work together. This not only makes editing it down later easier (don't have to separate audio and video to edit audio), and it improves the quality of the audio.

Have fun experimenting!

So, you are recording Video (on an iPad) and Audio (in a daw) of the same performance separately then importing the vid to your daw and syncing the audio and video after the fact?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats

Last edited by Mbroady; 06-07-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, you are recording Video (on an iPad) and Audio (in a daw) of the same performance separately then importing the vid to your daw and syncing the audio and video after the fact?
Hi Mb

I'm recording video and audio separately and then combining them in post. Sometimes it's a simple as an iPhone and a Zoom H1n, and sometimes as complex as my Canon m3 with video lights for video and an outboard mic boomed from overhead or underneath being recorded on my Zoom H4n via XLR input. I prefer recording in the Zoom rather than running mics into my MOTU M2 (like your Focusrite) and then into a recorder. The preamps in the Zoom are adequate.

Then I import audio into an editing program and 'treat' it, and then imports both video and audio into Final Cut Pro and combine them.

If you are looking for a simple point-n-shoot solution, a Shure MV88+ (plus) would maybe do the trick, but it's not going to involve all your outboard gear you listed.

There are many other options for middle ground solutions using the gear you own and perhaps recording it all on the iPad at once, but most of them don't seem to be as simple to manage as just recording video and audio separately (to my brain). Perhaps others will wade in with more ideas/potential solutions.

You could run your preamp into the Focusrite into a recording program or into an external recorder, or a DAW on the computer and accomplish the same things with higher quality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 06-07-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
That's exactly how I do it. Pretty much like ljguitar says. Phone shoots video while I record the audio through my interface into a laptop with DAW.

Audio gets cleaned up in the DAW, then audio and video get imported into video editor on my desktop PC to by synced for the final product.

My DAW is Reaper, and I use Premiere Pro to edit the video. (Reaper can also do some video editing as well but I've never tried it for that.)
Old 06-07-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mb

I'm recording video and audio separately and then combining them in post. Sometimes it's a simple as an iPhone and a Zoom H1n, and sometimes as complex as my Canon m3 with video lights for video and an outboard mic boomed from overhead or underneath being recorded on my Zoom H4n via XLR input. I prefer recording in the Zoom rather than running mics into my MOTU M2 (like your Focusrite) and then into a recorder. The preamps in the Zoom are adequate.

Then I import audio into an editing program and 'treat' it, and then imports both video and audio into Final Cut Pro and combine them.

If you are looking for a simple point-n-shoot solution, a Shure MV88+ (plus) would maybe do the trick, but it's not going to involve all your outboard gear you listed.

There are many other options for middle ground solutions using the gear you own and perhaps recording it all on the iPad at once, but most of them don't seem to be as simple to manage as just recording video and audio separately (to my brain). Perhaps others will wade in with more ideas/potential solutions.

You could run your preamp into the Focusrite into a recording program or into an external recorder, or a DAW on the computer and accomplish the same things with higher quality.

Thanks, I will give it a try this weekend. Though I do need to decide on a video editor for a windows 10 based desk top
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 06-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, I will give it a try this weekend. Though I do need to decide on a video editor for a windows 10 based desk top
Hi Mb

Can't help with that (life-long other platform user)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-08-2020, 03:51 PM

For videos I'm taking the USB output from my mixer to the USB connector on my phone, with an appropriate OTG adapter. It's not perfect, but I get reasonably good audio this way with minimum effort.

For Zoom meetings I use a mic/headphone splitter. I take one of the main outputs from the mixer and put it into the mic input of the splitter, making sure I'm not panning any of the channels left or right, and my in-ear monitors into the headphone input. I'll be testing this later today to make sure everything works.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-08-2020, 04:03 PM

For what it's worth, I find the IKMultimedia products work well. I use the iRig Duo. 2 input channels and easy to use - one is a powered XLR input jack (or 1/4 inch), the other is an unpowered XLR input jack (or 1/4 inch). It plugs directly into my iPad.

If I want to do video at the same time, I use the IRig Recorder; if I'm only doing audio recording, it's pretty easy to get it straight into Cubasis (the audio editor I prefer on the iPad), or GarageBand, and you can send the different input channels into different tracks on those programs.

The iRig Duo downsides are that it only accepts two channels (not a problem for me, I can barely do two things at once), and only one input is powered.

The IRig Recorder downside (but one I actually like) is that the IRig Recorder splits the two channels into Left and Right. That makes it easier to split them into two mono tracks (I use Audacity for that) and remix (where I go back to Cubasis), but for something super fast, you do get an annoying hard stereo with each input fully panned to the left or right channel.

There are some IRig AmpliTube products you can also use for audio editing, but I prefer Cubasis, which is the iPad version of Cubase.

If you want to see / hear how it turns out (forgive my lack of talent), a link to my videos is in my signature.

Cheers,

-Dave
Old 06-08-2020, 04:37 PM

At the ‘point and shoot’ end of the spectrum, I just have a Blue Spark Digital plugged straight into my iPad Mini. (As I understand it, that mic isn’t made anymore, but there are similar options, and of course, you can always use the various interface adapters to plug in the mics you already have.)

At least in my case, I never have to turn off the built in microphone, so presumably the iPad recognizes what’s going on and disables it automatically. And I don’t have to make any other specific changes in the iPad for the external mic either - I just connect the mic, fire up the camera, and hit record. Very much a plug-and-play situation in my experience.

Again, my methods are decidedly low-end - no room treatments (I'm actually sitting next to a bay window), just recording straight to video (at this point, I’m basically mostly interested in ‘archiving’ a song so I can move on, and sharing with a few friends), but if I wanted to get serious about tweaking the sound, I expect I could always strip the audio track from the video file, tweak it in whatever DAW was preferred and then drop it back into the video file again. As long as you’re starting with a good mic, I would expect that this would be a bit easier than syncing tracks from two separate sources, but I can’t say I’ve tried it and there are obviously more qualified and experienced voices here to address that.

But at whatever quality level, it’s always fun to have a finished product - here’s what ‘quick and dirty’ gets you…

Seagull 25th Mahogany and Spruce
Yamaha Silent Guitar SLG200S
Old 06-09-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
There are a couple of powerful free options that I've used.

Shotcut http://shotcut.org/ does a nice job and doesn't require a monster computer. I've done a review/tutorial a couple of years ago http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2017/...a-lampg-video/ and the program has been improved since then.

Hitfilm Express https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express is a power packed tool and possibly as a result it is more complicated and more demanding of computer power. But even a couple of years ago it had automatic syncing of audio and video. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2017/...-express-2017/

I haven't put together a computer with enough horsepower to run Davinci Resolve, but that's a Hollywood Feature Film level video editor that comes in a free option. Naturally it has a steep learning curve (I'm told) along with that heavy resource requirement.

Another option that's not quite free and not totally intuitive is the video capability in REAPER https://www.reaper.fm/ . Here's a tutorial I did in early days of REAPER video http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...o-in-reaper-4/ - the latest version has more functionality but has a similar workflow. And just for fun here's a tutorial on doing a "self-duet" using REAPER and a Zoom recorder: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2016/...eos-in-reaper/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD