The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just recorded this today with the MV88+.

My cell phone (a OnePlus 7 Pro) is shooting the wide shot that I use at the beginning and end of the video, plus recording the video through the MV88+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8B...ature=youtu.be

lkingston that's great sound you've got there. I notice that the OnePlus 7 Pro isn't on the Shure MV88+ android compatibility list. Did you have any issues getting it to work with the OnePlus 7 Pro and have you ever tried the MV88+ with an earlier model? I have a OnePlus 6 and am thinking of pulling the trigger on a MV88+ but am having a hard time nailing down if there are any compatibility issues.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:16 AM

Default Shure MV88plus

No issues at all with the MV88+ and my OnePlus 7 Pro. I expect it would be fine with the earlier OnePlus models as well. I LOVE their phones!
Old 05-13-2020, 06:58 PM

Thanks to everyone for their inputs on this thread, you may have answered the question I have been toying with recently.
Time for some research into this mic!

Quote:
Here is another song recorded with my phone and Shure MV88+. You can see the wireless transmitter coming off the guitar. There is also a Elite Acoustics D6-8 amp just off screen to the left. You can just see the edge of it if you look closely. I turn the guitar up on the amp just a little to better balance with the vocal and to add a little artificial ambience. The Shure MV88+ is on a mic stand so that I could shoot wide with the phone but still get the sound of closer miked audio. I also used a couple of little battery powered lights.

https://youtu.be/HJTaSb15p_M
Laurence, can you provide some info on the wireless system you are running? That's another future purchase I'm looking at!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-13-2020, 07:45 PM

Default Shure MV88plus

It's the 5.8 GHz generic version of the Carvin system. It's about half the price you pay through Carvin and I'm pretty sure Carvin just rebrands them.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-13-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
It's the 5GHz generic version of the Carvin system. It's about half the price you pay through Carvin and I'm pretty sure Carvin just rebrands them.
I've been looking at them. I found the other thread in the Acoustic Amplification section. No issues to report?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I've been looking at them. I found the other thread in the Acoustic Amplification section. No issues to report?

So far no issues. They work great!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:25 AM

The stereo pattern on the MV88+ is very similar to the XY mics on the Zoom recorders. There are all sorts of occasions when it is the best tool for the job! Even those times where a larger diaphragm mic would be slightly better, the MV88+ does a really good job.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:05 PM

You guys have a lot to answer for if this doesn't work out.
Placed my order yesterday!!
Old 05-19-2020, 12:04 AM

Question for those with the MV88+ Video kit, are you happy with the little neoprene bag it comes with?
I'm thinking of getting one of those EVA style molded cases for added protection not in use.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIY-Spon...l/123542229787

Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2020, 08:14 AM

I really like the roll up case it comes with.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I have one of those zip cases for my GoPro and Akaso cameras. It is small, but just big enough to not be convenient to cart around. The roll up case for the MV88+ kit is handy. The mic seems quite durable, and the case seems enough to protect it while hauling it around.

If you like the zip case, no down side, other than the additional space it takes.

And, for the fun of it, here's another "stayin' at home" video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfx7Q_9JuY

Old 05-19-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Looking to simplify, here's a video test with the MV88+ with no additional amplification, vocal or guitar. I positioned the MV88+ mic just in front of the camera (iPhone). Testing with three different Emerald guitars, the X10 sounded the best (to my ear) for this situation. The X10 I have has level 2 pickups, but this was done without their use, just acoustic.

A fun afternoon in my music room. I recorded a dozen + videos today, but I won't shove those on you. Here's another Beatle's song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSnn...ature=youtu.be

Sitting reasonably close to the mic, I used the headphones plugged into the back of the mic to hear what the iPhone was hearing.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:59 PM

SWMBO* bought an MV88+ based on your recommendation, and spent a lot of time with it this weekend. It works fine for her bass flute and she will use it for on-line lessons in the coming weeks. Thanks for the point out!

I also bought a microphone for my iPhone from Sweetwater last week to go with a sound meter app. I measure sound levels for a living, and the app and this external mic give me accurate and calibrated levels, using the 1/4" adapter for my calibrator. I always have my phone with me, but sometimes don't have my $6000 sound meter kit at hand. The microphone is MicW i437L with a Lightning connector or an i436L for the 1/8" headphone jack on older phones. The app is SPLnFFT, $5.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...easurement-mic
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ing-microphone

*She who must be obeyed, for the unmarried guys who didn't get that acronym.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:08 PM

OK, I am appreciating the MV88+ a bit more for two reasons:

1) 24 bit audio recording on the video app (as compared to the 16 bit recording most camera apps do). If I record the HyperMic on a regular camera app (since they don’t have their own), it will be 16 bit even though the mic itself is 24 bit.
2) No jumping around in light sensitivity. I just recorded a test video (another post on this forum), and immediately I noticed the exposure making large noticeable jumps. The Shure app holds the exposure way better.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

A "two-fer" on this "stayin' at home" video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnkf...ature=youtu.be

Recorded with the Shure MV88+ into an iPhone 11 Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD