The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Default BlackBird Rider vs X7 ??

Never having had the availability to play either nor seen either except on the IN wondering has anyone had the chance to play either?
Looking at a guitar for airline travel, thinking a bit smaller than my Rainsong APLE as it gets a bit heavy after a long walk thru the airports and it's a OM size so a full size guitar. I use a gig bag and never the hard case.
I really love my RS and considering a Parlor as well but still basically as long as my OM give or take a couple inches. Hard decision here, the Rider seems to fill all the blanks but the shape is really a love hate thing, I know the NeckUP will hold it in position for play, but it's still weird looking.
The X7 appears to be pretty compact and I note the scale is not to short as compared to my 12 fritters which are 24.9. Any real life experience out there with any of these thoughts? Quality wise most carbons seem to be about equal from what I have been able to gather off reviews etc.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:23 AM

I have had an X7 for three or four years. It's the older model with the non-offset sound hole, and it has accompanied me on numerous domestic and international flights, road-trips, and back and forth to the office every day. It fits in most airplane overheads, but on occasion I have gate-checked it with no issues. It has become my go-to guitar, because the small size is just so convenient when on the couch, and my other acoustics are getting lonely.

So, if you are looking for a great guitar that just happens to be of a size convenient for travel, I would highly recommend it. I haven't played the rider, but find that it also looks like a great guitar. I have owned two of Sam Radding's Go Guitar travel guitars, which are of a similar shape and size to the Rider, and enjoyed them a lot, but neither replaced my traditional guitars. To me, the X7 is simply a parlor guitar made to be practically indestructable, and that works for me.

It doesn't look as pristine as the photo below anymore -- An impact took a chip out of the veneer, but a bit of epoxy smoothed over it with no problem.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Hi,

I have owned the Rider, Cargo, Emerald x5 & x7 (off set versions). IMHO hands down the Rider is the best sounding travel guitar pound for pound. If you can live with the shape the sound is best in class. Caution: Your milage may vary.. :-)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM

Hi All,
I have two Steal Riders as well as an X7 (which has just joined my stable)and while I love all of them my vote for all around guitar goes to the Rider. The Rider neck fits me like a glove. I love the sound and the shape is not a problem at all with or without the NeckUp. That is not to say that I don't love the X7, because I do. I have had more experience with the Rider. I have taken the Rider with me on many plane trips and have had no problem taking it with me into the cabin of the plane and on most trips it was put in the front closet for me. The other times I put it in the overhead and made sure that no one put any baggage on top of it.

All this being said, I am having a great time with the X7 because of it's comfort. There is not a day that I don't spend time with it. The X7 is a great guitar.
Barb
Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM

Jerry, I have no experience with either guitar. Have you considered the Journey travel CF guitars? The collapsible neck design and backpack make the OF660 very easy to fly with. And easy on the wallet. I have one and love it. The new Road Trip model is cool too. These are 12 fretters as you probably know.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 PM

The Journey is the one I have tried, had one in Portland and I ran over expecting to buy it, first 60 seconds I knew it was not for me. I didn't like the neck or body and it just felt awkward to me, not much on the metal washer screw thing either. But that's just me and my opinion that's why there is more than one maker.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:31 PM

Jerry, it sounds like you're doing this right -- checking things out, and seeing what works for you. I took a leap of faith when I bought my Emerald, and spent $800, IIRC on a pig in a poke. Interestingly, at first I wasn't nuts about it -- I found the action felt sort of "loose" and "jangly" to me. Then, I put a set of .13s or .14s on it and voila!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM

If you have some elastic plastic, you could order both and return the one you don't like. I am interested in the Journey, but I think I need to try one first.

I did sit down with a Rider, but it just wasn't my cup of tea at the time. I don't know if that is still true.

I haven't touched a X7, but I play my X20 at least an hour everyday. I am interested in what you decide either way.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Guest 928

I had a nylon strung Rider and have played a steel string Rider. I believe that the Rider is best sounding of all the small travel guitars. I gave up on my rider because I never got comfortable holding it--others do not have this problem.

As suggested, you really should give one a run before you make up your mind.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:31 PM

No Emerald experience, but I once played a Rider, a RS parlor, and the smaller McPherson side by side. While I slightly preferred the tone of both the RS and the McPherson, the Rider was the most enjoyable to play. All three were sitting right in front of me. I played the RS for about 5 minutes, the McPherson for about 5 minutes, and the Rider for about an hour. Just couldn't put it down.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Thanks Tom, wish I could do the same, around here where I live there are NO music stores and I have relied on mail order for years, or buying used off the forum and eBay. Must say I have had great success and ended up with some beautiful guitars, but it's always a dice roll and I have sold many many guitars soon after acquiring them. Nothing like being able to play first! I rely heavily on opinion and revues some good, some not so good.
I try to balance the opinions and bias's against real truth and it usually balances out for the most part.
One thing when buying new is I always Try to make sure there is a return policy I can live with just in case.....Jerry
Old 09-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if emerald has a return policy but I am in your shoes looking for a travel guitar. Today I ordered an emerald x7. I'll let you know what I think in 5 weeks. Maybe 6
Old 09-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I don't know if emerald has a return policy but I am in your shoes looking for a travel guitar. Today I ordered an emerald x7. I'll let you know what I think in 5 weeks. Maybe 6
Congrats on ordering the X7, Bry! Hope the wait passes quickly for you.

JerryM,

I own an X7 and have briefly played a Rider (so, consider the bias). The X7 is the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have owned or played. I couldn't get beyond the odd feel of the Rider. Both guitars have a good sound. Scale is similar: 24" on the X7, 24.5" on the Rider. Blackbird makes nice guitars, as does Emerald - but my money is on the Emerald.

I see on Blackbird's site that there is a 6 month build-time on a new Rider (starts at $1685). Pretty sure Ted has some in stock. Emerald generally has the X7 Opus available right away or on a short lead time (starts at $995).

Good luck with the decisions!

Jim
Old 09-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Guest 928

The nylon Rider came in one of two types, flamenco or classical. There are some serious players who have both since they are both superior instruments. I like the look and sound, could not get used to the handle.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:11 PM

I've tried a Rider many times, and now own an X7. I do have to admit that the Rider may sound better than the Emerald, BUT I too just could not get comfortable with the design. Of the travel guitars with really small body size (Backpacker, Vagabond, Go-Grand and the like) the Rider certainly sounds the best.

If you like the feel of the Rider, it will be smaller than the X7. But you would really need to try it out first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber