The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-21-2017, 08:06 PM

Unless you're fond of menus and endless presets, they can be a bit arduous.

I purchased the Line 6 Variax guitar with the Firehawk FX. I really like the guitar, but the Firehawk was too difficult for me. I ended up ditching it and buying a Zoom G3XN. It's simpler to use and sounds very good.

Many people use PA speakers for amps to get the full range of frequencies. I am using a Mackie DLM8 speaker that is small and light and sounds very good.

However, if I had it to do again, I'd probably get one of the new Fender Mustang modeling amplifiers. They have a new tiny one that sounds remarkable. Easier to use and all self contained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
You can get these things to sound great if you are willing to wade through the business of programming a modeler and you know your guitar and amp stuff. Here's the deal: a typical player may spend years learning what it takes to make his guitar sound great - what amp, what effects, etc. If you go into modeling with that knowledge it is pretty easy to make a modeler sound great. Without it you are in the dark.

I have a POD 2.0 but moved on to a POD HD500X. I used the POD 2.0 for several years in the studio. Depending on the needs of the client I might use a modern or vintage amp but for some of my work, yes, I've built POD HD500x presets which, when recorded, sound as good as a good amp/pedal rig. It's all in the special sauce of the presets, the combination of amp tweaks and effects you use.

I've reviewed the two PODs, the POD 2.0 and the POD HD500X. Maybe my reviews would be helpful.

Bob
Thanks for the links to those reviews - if they're as good as your piece on choosing an electric guitar, I'm in for a nice ride. I don't want to end up with a plate of special sauce in my lap, just looking to spice up a clean tone without burning the house down to distort an amp, so the pod makes sense for my current needs.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Unless you're fond of menus and endless presets, they can be a bit arduous.

I purchased the Line 6 Variax guitar with the Firehawk FX. I really like the guitar, but the Firehawk was too difficult for me. I ended up ditching it and buying a Zoom G3XN. It's simpler to use and sounds very good.

Many people use PA speakers for amps to get the full range of frequencies. I am using a Mackie DLM8 speaker that is small and light and sounds very good.

However, if I had it to do again, I'd probably get one of the new Fender Mustang modeling amplifiers. They have a new tiny one that sounds remarkable. Easier to use and all self contained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've got a Mustang II v. 2 or something - 40 watts, 12" speaker, multiple built-in amps - way more than I need or can navigate, especially when you add in Fender's software opportunities that are a little clunky. That's why I want to experiment (quietly) with a small modeler for use even without an amp (aka headphone amp). I heard a great instrumental version of Isn't She Lovely that a guy did quite simply with his A6 Ultra into a pod into his computer with a couple of minor effects added - beautiful and simple.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Thumbs up Guitar & Vocal FX Modelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I'm new to guitar and trying acoustic and electric. I want to experiment at home with getting different electric sounds I might recognize from others' work, but don't want to use a modeling amp, or invest in individual pedals, and don't want to spend a bunch of money.

Toward that end, I'm looking for input on which Line 6 Pod-type product would best meet my needs, as there have been changes over the years, and there are many different models (XT, Pro, V.2, Mobile, etc.), so the correct choice is not apparent, and the various videos and print info sources are not that helpful on my issue of which to purchase over another.

Assume I already know most people hate the Pod, there are way better products, all cheap modelers but especially the Pod have excessive latency, etc. I'd like to try a Pod and want to know which year(s)/model(s) would best meet my elementary needs now (<$200 used range), with maybe a little room to grow (but not leaving the house).

I see Pods being played into computers and, apparently, out of the computer's speakers - is it possible to play them through an amp, as well?

Any input appreciated.
Hello Chris :

The biggest [ Hate ] issue on { X } FX modelers comes primarily from not knowing how to use the sucker .

I've had two FX type modelers the first was a Digitech GNX4 DAW / Looper Guitar & vocal FX unit https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...digitech/gnx4/

And the present one I just got to replace it [ T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X ]http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/product...more-features/

The truth on the Digitech : One monster unit , I'd buy a used one any day , mine was stolen .

The VL3X has it's power to like the GNX4 Digitech and there are some who will knock it , it goes with the territory .

All these modelers these day have their merit , just takes time to know how to operate it to get what you want .

And - - If you don't know what you want in a guitar's sound they are great tools to learn about that too .

Good luck - check youtube out and see and hear them all and decide from there .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 05-22-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

Hello Chris :

The biggest [ Hate ] issue on { X } FX modelers comes primarily from not knowing how to use the sucker .

I've had two FX type modelers the first was a Digitech GNX4 DAW / Looper Guitar & vocal FX unit https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...digitech/gnx4/

And the present one I just got to replace it [ T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X ]http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/product...more-features/

The truth on the Digitech : One monster unit , I'd buy a used one any day , mine was stolen .

The VL3X has it's power to like the GNX4 Digitech and there are some who will knock it , it goes with the territory .

All these modelers these day have their merit , just takes time to know how to operate it to get what you want .

And - - If you don't know what you want in a guitar's sound they are great tools to learn about that too .

Good luck - check youtube out and see and hear them all and decide from there .

EZ :

HR
Thanks for those references - I'm at the "this stuff's a bit overwhelming" stage, but I'm looking forward to the ride.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Thanks for the links to those reviews - if they're as good as your piece on choosing an electric guitar, I'm in for a nice ride. I don't want to end up with a plate of special sauce in my lap, just looking to spice up a clean tone without burning the house down to distort an amp, so the pod makes sense for my current needs.
Oh, by the way, I often play my PODs through amps. You've got the ability to select what kind of output to have, from just the main model that you want to plug into an amp and speaker to the complete model/amp/speaker/microphone to plug directly into a console. Especially on the POD HD500X you've got lots of options in that way. One of my favorite sounds is the stereo POD output going to a clean Marshall amp on one side and a Leslie rotating speaker running at "chorale"(slow) speed on the other.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Oh, by the way, I often play my PODs through amps. You've got the ability to select what kind of output to have, from just the main model that you want to plug into an amp and speaker to the complete model/amp/speaker/microphone to plug directly into a console. Especially on the POD HD500X you've got lots of options in that way. One of my favorite sounds is the stereo POD output going to a clean Marshall amp on one side and a Leslie rotating speaker running at "chorale"(slow) speed on the other.

Bob
Thanks for that. I'm getting a baby bean (old school) for just a taste of special sauce - that HD500X looks pretty sexy, and I see it does a bunch of distortion/fuzz stuff that I like, but which I don't see on the bean (though you did mention a buried fuzz effect I'll explore).
Old 05-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'm getting a baby bean (old school) for just a taste of special sauce - that HD500X looks pretty sexy, and I see it does a bunch of distortion/fuzz stuff that I like, but which I don't see on the bean (though you did mention a buried fuzz effect I'll explore).
it is all there. they come with a manual called the pilot's guide that will give you a quick start.

like bob said, you can output it to a PA or an amp. you can use the presets or treat it like an amp in the manual mode.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

The Boss GT1 will sound better than an old Pod, and is 199 new.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:13 PM

I'll respond with a different approach. For 2 years now I've used a Line6 Sonic Port with my iphone or iPad and LOVE Positive Grid's Bias FX for live performance and their JamUp Pro for practice, etc.

I use my iPad & Bias FX at church every week. The amp models are amazing and VERY inexpensive. The best portable system I've heard to date. I mod, repair and build tube amps, but this is a product I won't do without.

For an interface, I like the Line6 Sonic Port, given features and price.

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-fx/

Good luck!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 06-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
I'll respond with a different approach. For 2 years now I've used a Line6 Sonic Port with my iphone or iPad and LOVE Positive Grid's Bias FX for live performance and their JamUp Pro for practice, etc.

I use my iPad & Bias FX at church every week. The amp models are amazing and VERY inexpensive. The best portable system I've heard to date. I mod, repair and build tube amps, but this is a product I won't do without.

For an interface, I like the Line6 Sonic Port, given features and price.

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-fx/

Good luck!
Most of your post might as well have been in a foreign language, to me, but I wanted to say thanks for the info, which may become of use as I gain experience. Also, I got an old POD and I'm having a ball with it. Thanks John!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

You are welcome, Chris! Glad you're having fun with it...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Guest4562

I used to use a Line 6 Pod Pro in conjunction with a Behringer FCB 1010 to change patches, back when I played in a rock / party band. It was perfect for what I was doing and I had no problem with programming the presets. Today I use a Zoom GX1on for everything. I have clean presets for playing acoustic and electric presets for when I play with my old rock band. I have no desire to carry a complicated and expensive pedalboard.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:10 AM

I sold all my amps / pedals / pedal board a year ago and went digital with a Line 6 POD 500X.

I like being able to come home, hit a preset with my foot for whatever mood I'm and play. I found myself messing with knobs for way too long when I had an amp / pedal board.

I'm considering a Helix, Kemper or new Headrush but honestly the POD still works for me.

Even made a YouTube video about it me going this route.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
I sold all my amps / pedals / pedal board a year ago and went digital with a Line 6 POD 500X.
Interesting and informative, thanks for making/posting that video. I came to many of your conclusions re: pedals v. magic box mostly on instinct - nice to have the rationale articulated and supported.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars