The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Guest 928

Sean;

But if it was my choice, I'd go ebony with cream. Give Alistair my regards.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

It's been a quiet day. thought I'd inject some random thoughts.

Rainsong, Emerald, Journey, and Blackbird have been in the news. Where's Peavey? Peavey took over CA and has done a wonderful job of taking a creative instrument and refining it to a high level of quality. My Peavey Cargo was vastly superior to my original Cargo. But there's been very little here on PV guitars. I think Peavey needs to come out with something new; maybe an electric?

I am anxiously awaiting my new Emerald electric, thin-bodied, nylon string guitar. Its going to be so cool. Ebony veneer. A relatively new pickup. Way cool cream back and sides (maybe). With gold tuners and gold hound(maybe). The neat thing about dealing with Emerald is that it is a collaborative effort between player and maker.

There is risk here. Sometimes the worst thing is to get what you want. I happen to like that risk and Alistair has been really good at setting me straight on what works and what does not work. My new electric, CF, nylon strung guitar is going to be so cool.

Hope this finds you all well and in good sprits.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
It's been a quiet day. thought I'd inject some random thoughts.

Rainsong, Emerald, Journey, and Blackbird have been in the news. Where's Peavey? Peavey took over CA and has done a wonderful job of taking a creative instrument and refining it to a high level of quality. My Peavey Cargo was vastly superior to my original Cargo. But there's been very little here on PV guitars. I think Peavey needs to come out with something new; maybe an electric?

I am anxiously awaiting my new Emerald electric, thin-bodied, nylon string guitar. Its going to be so cool. Ebony veneer. A relatively new pickup. Way cool cream back and sides (maybe). With gold tuners and gold hound(maybe). The neat thing about dealing with Emerald is that it is a collaborative effort between player and maker.

There is risk here. Sometimes the worst thing is to get what you want. I happen to like that risk and Alistair has been really good at setting me straight on what works and what does not work. My new electric, CF, nylon strung guitar is going to be so cool.

Hope this finds you all well and in good sprits.
Maybe CA needs Ellis Seal to inject some innovation.

Yes, your anticipated Emerald nylon electric should be quite something. I'm stoked to see the final product. If I may suggest Evan.....I have the gold hound emblem on my headstocks. I have gold tuners on my Taylor 814c. If I'm properly imagining your new guitar with its predominantly cream and black look, if Emerald can color match the b&s to the cream of the ebony, I would certainly go with that, but I'd also go with black tuners (like the Gotoh "Cosmo" black) and the silver hound emblem. Jmo.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:32 PM

My LGS has a nice selection of Composite Acoustics hanging on the wall (usually four in one store and three in the other branch) and they tell me they have about 20 total in stock. My wife bought her gloss blue CA Cargo there about two years ago and is very happy with it.

Sometimes I play the full-sized guitars like the Ox or the Gx and they are quite nice in terms of tone and build quality, and set up. I gave a Gxi a decent test paly while in that shop last week dropping off a flute for overhaul. But I am already pretty set for CF six strings with a classic WS-1000 N1 and a Lucky 13 from last year. I'm not really in the market these days. Otherwise it is likely I would have a full-sized CA by now.

I'm not sure why CA does not get more mention around here, Evan. Maybe it's a limited number of dealers stocking them? That is true of all carbon fiber instruments. I see Rainsong print ads in magazines regularly and Blackbird on rare occasion, but I don't recall seeing a print ad for CA any time recently.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My LGS has a nice selection of Composite Acoustics hanging on the wall (usually four in one store and three in the other branch) and they tell me they have about 20 total in stock. My wife bought her gloss blue CA Cargo there about two years ago and is very happy with it.

Sometimes I play the full-sized guitars like the Ox or the Gx and they are quite nice in terms of tone and build quality, and set up. I gave a Gxi a decent test paly while in that shop last week dropping off a flute for overhaul. But I am already pretty set for CF six strings with a classic WS-1000 N1 and a Lucky 13 from last year. I'm not really in the market these days. Otherwise it is likely I would have a full-sized CA by now.

I'm not sure why CA does not get more mention around here, Evan. Maybe it's a limited number of dealers stocking them? That is true of all carbon fiber instruments. I see Rainsong print ads in magazines regularly and Blackbird on rare occasion, but I don't recall seeing a print ad for CA any time recently.
CA was all the rage just before they went belly-up and were taken over by Peavey. I owned an '08 GXi and still have an '08 Cargo RT which I really like. That said, compared to the constantly evolving and innovating other builders, CA under Peavey seems stagnant. Perhaps they're selling well and it's just here at the AGF that they seem under discussed, but members seem to really gravitate to new approaches and models.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:57 PM

My first encounter with pre-peavey CA's was in Hawaii, when a friend bought a Raw finish Cargo while at Aloha Camp 2009. I was duly impressed and would have bought one too but did not want to carry an extra guitar home on the plane. In retrospect, I probably should have bought it anyway and had Hilo Guitars just ship it to me in Alaska (at that time). We ended up with a Peavey / CA Cargo a few years later anyway, for considerably more money. I also tried a few during my last visit to Elderly during a visit to family in Michigan.

I was at the 2010 NAMM show and spent considerable time at the CA booth checking out everything, including the Blade electric guitar that Ted ultimately ended up with. Then about eight weeks later they closed their doors suddenly without any warning. I hope that Composite Acoustics are selling well and can stick around. I do regularly point people at my LGS whenever they comment on or try my carbon fiber guitars. "Go try one for yourself".
Old 06-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

Yes, black hardware would look really good with cream back/sides. If black hardware, maybe a black-gold hound? Alistair sure has a lot of options here.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Tom;

Yes, black hardware would look really good with cream back/sides. If black hardware, maybe a black-gold hound? Alistair sure has a lot of options here.
Evan, perhaps the best thing to do would be to Skype with Alistair at the appropriate point where he can actually show you the possible options before installation against your actual guitar.

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-03-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

This is the point where Alistair is in complete control. He knows what I'd like; he knows what is possible. I'm resting now, having done my part. I hope he can do the cream-matching, but black back/sides would be OK. Cream would be the most unusual and, I think, the most striking. But that might not be doable. Whatever.

Played this morning, using my RS nylon Parlor, with a player using a Fender Strat. Two hours--really sweet. Somewhere down life's highway Alistair will remind me that we are making a guitar.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Guest 928

Alistair is fine-tuning the electric and wants to know what tuners I want and what neck shape??

I am not going for slot tuners and looking for suggestions.................

I like my RS Parlor neck, but not sure how to exactly describe it other than its 24.9" scale. Looking for descriptions...................................... ........

Your help will be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Alistair is fine-tuning the electric and wants to know what tuners I want and what neck shape??

I am not going for slot tuners and looking for suggestions.................

I like my RS Parlor neck, but not sure how to exactly describe it other than its 24.9" scale. Looking for descriptions...................................... ........

Your help will be appreciated.
Evan, recently within a thread, it seems that Emerald offers a way for you to actually take a caste of a favorite neck profile and sent to them for adaptation to an Emerald guitar. Other than that, since you're already an RS owner, perhaps contact them to see if they can provide a written description of the neck profile you're after.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Guest 928

I'd be sort of embarrassed to ask Ashvin for information to be used by another maker. What I've done is given Alistair the thickness and general shape of the neck and he can work from there.

In terms of tuners, what I had on my original X10 and my X20 were just fine. Again, it's up to Alistair. I don't care what tuners he uses and he can design any headstock that he would like--I think it would be sort of cool to have a Fender-like headstock. But this is Alistair's guitar as much as mine.

I am not like tom2 who has an incredibly precise view of what he would like. I am just interested in seeing what carbon fiber can do with guitars, acoustic and electric. I find it pretty exciting and love the notion of someone like Alistair willing to take on improbable instruments.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I'd be sort of embarrassed to ask Ashvin for information to be used by another maker. What I've done is given Alistair the thickness and general shape of the neck and he can work from there.

In terms of tuners, what I had on my original X10 and my X20 were just fine. Again, it's up to Alistair. I don't care what tuners he uses and he can design any headstock that he would like--I think it would be sort of cool to have a Fender-like headstock. But this is Alistair's guitar as much as mine.

I am not like tom2 who has an incredibly precise view of what he would like. I am just interested in seeing what carbon fiber can do with guitars, acoustic and electric. I find it pretty exciting and love the notion of someone like Alistair willing to take on improbable instruments.
Evan, if you leave so much up to Alistair, you could end up with a nylon version of Steve Vai's Emerald Ultra guitar. I can just picture you strapped to something like this hangin' on for the ride!

Just yankin' yer chain. I'm sure Alistair will produce something remarkable for your taste...and safety.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I am not like tom2 who has an incredibly precise view of what he would like.
Pardon my precision, but ...

Quote:

I am familiar with the NS neck, and can describe it with inappropriate precision. But first, since Alistair knows the neck profile of your X10N, it can be used as a reference. So, comparing the two necks, do you prefer one over the other (and if so, why), and are there elements of both that you like? I'm not talking about neck width or scale length, since the two of you have already worked that out. I'm just asking about neck profile.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

Thank you for weighing in. I want more thickness--the thin neck is hurting my hand and I am asking for another 1/2 inch. The width and scale remain as determined.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber