The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Guest 928

Default New Nylon electric

being negotiated. How about this. An X7-OSN, thin-bodied, short scaled, barbera powered, fan-fret, electric guitar?

Any other fantasies like to join in? A work in progress.......
Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Evan, maybe it wouldn't suit the electric guitar look so much, but would you also go with the beautiful custom headstock like on your X10-OSN? What finish/color?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

I've been thinking about the same thing for quite awhile now. For comparison, I am curious about some of the details, if you're up to sharing any of the following - or any other unique details:

Scale length? Of course this is a range, since it is a fan fret.

Body thickness?

Neck thickness?

Neck width?

Radiused or flat fretboard?

Distance from 1st string to 6th string at the nut and at the bridge?

How many frets?

"0" fret: yes or no?

Slotted headstock?

Body shape like the orange thin body custom X7 on the website?

Color? (I am infatuated with the Cocobolo)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
being negotiated. How about this. An X7-OSN, thin-bodied, short scaled, barbera powered, fan-fret, electric guitar?

Any other fantasies like to join in? A work in progress.......
I dig my Rick Turner Renaissance nylon electric. Plays like buttah, looks killer and sounds great.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Guest 928

Tom: no slots, haven't settled on veneer but it will not be quilted or blond and will be backed by ruby.

Cecil: I think you've given this more thought than I have and some of your questions are still questions. I'm thinking of a 24.something scale with the possibility of fan fretting--Alistair will have the final say. I'd like a 2" thick body with a neck close to the thickness on my Rainsong Parlor and a 1 7/8" nut. I definitely want some radius. The string distance and # of frets will be up to Alistair.

David: The Rick turner and Kirk Sand follow a continual development of nylon string string electric guitars, joining such pacesetter as the Chet Atkins, Godin, and Parker. I think Alistair can set a new standard.

I do not need a new guitar but the nylon string guitar is one of my few indulgences. I've purchased three Blackbirds, one Rainsong, and three Emeralds in an attempt to support and further the development of nylon string CF guitars. I am pushing for a nylon electric because it is the one niche that has not received much attention in CF development.

I'm enjoying the hunt and appreciate the company and input.

Tom: If you'll send me the money I'll let you rent the finished product for your extensive scientific analysis.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Tom: If you'll send me the money I'll let you rent the finished product for your extensive scientific analysis.
We'll have to work out the details. I'll have my lawyers contact your lawyers once we get to the negotiation stage. You should probably get at least two just to do an A-B comparison to ensure the first was not a fluke also.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:45 AM

I do like the Rick Turner guitar.. I'm trying to hold off asking Alistair about a custom nylon x7 as well...

I tried the fan fret thing, not a 'fan'. The three electrics I had with a fan fret had the 9th fret parallel, so barre chords above the 5th fret were awkward, my index finger stays perpendicular to the fretboard up there. I think having the perpendicular fret near the 5th or 3rd would be more to my liking. I did like the fan near the upper frets, or I should say, I didn't notice them, good or bad... but it's fixing a problem I don't have. I sold all three of those guitars.

I started on this to hold me over. It about the same size as my x7, I traced its outline, but used a shape more similar to the Turner for the cutaway. Spruce top, 2 piece mahogany body, hollowed out. I need to finish my vacuum bridge clamp and get some finish on it.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Guest 928

CFW: I appreciate your thoughts regarding fan frets. Having never played one I would be taking quite a risk of finding myself in your position. Maybe I should stick to what I know. Also, I really like the body of your guitar--very clean and understated. I think its beautiful.

Tom: Agreed. Can I presume that you will also have CPAs on hand? If so, let me know so that I can match your team and we can enter this agreement with parity. Nice doing business with you.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:59 PM

Per CFW you might want to have guitar A with the 'parallel' fret near 3 or 4 and for guitar B push it further down the fret board (assuming Emerald is on board with this modification). That way you can find out how you like your fan fret. Glad CFW commented or I wouldn't even have considered that the fanning style would be a consideration.

I think the ideal would be a fan with the 'parallel' fret around 5 and maybe only have 18 or 20 frets total as the last few would otherwise be quite slanted.

I'll send all the papers to you by courier for inspection once the plan is in motion.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just curious.....what is Alistair's view on personalized fan fretting? He has a fair bit of experience with this now to have the insight as to what tends to work best. While considering, don't underestimate the importance of ones own ergonomics in terms of body and hand size and shape.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Guest 928

Tom; I don't know Alistair's view on personalized fan fretting, but I suspect he has one. I also know that he pays attention to this forum so somewhere along the line we will be getting to frets.

You are right about the importance of ergonomics--that is one reason I have liked Emerald guitars--they are very comfortable. My past preference for necks has been for thin, but I'm finding that my wrist is starting to hurt more with the thin than with the thick necks--life is a wonderment.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just curious.....what is Alistair's view on personalized fan fretting? He has a fair bit of experience with this now to have the insight as to what tends to work best. While considering, don't underestimate the importance of ones own ergonomics in terms of body and hand size and shape.
And I would add your use of drop tunings should play a larger factor than choosing fan frets just for ergonomic purposes. My complaint regarding barres on an electric is a little misplaced, as the intent of my particular fanned guitars were more for drop tunings and shredding vs. needing barre chords... so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I'm just putting it out there with the thought that barre chords would be more commonly used on a nylon string, making the location of the perpendicular fret more of a factor in ergonomics in your chosen style of guitar.

Regarding thin necks, I tried that too... As much as I've been infatuated with Parkers innovative ideas, my left hand cramps far too quickly on those thin necks on the Fly's. My hand relaxes with a chunky neck. I find the Emeralds to be quite a comfortable shape.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Guest 928

CFW:

Drop tunings? I don't do that. I am not a sophisticated player--indeed, I am a common denominator; I can't keep up with really good players, but everyone can play with me. Excuse how that sounds.

I am really looking for simple. Uncle and Buzzard are light years ahead of me in terms of play and recording. My primary interest is a new CF electric guitar. One that expands CF offerings and a nylon string that complements Emerald's recent CF green electric guitar.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Won't the thinness of the body effect the tone. My daughters thin ovation has to be plugged in when playing with anybody. It's sound acoustically is really anemic.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 PM

I've heard thre reasons for fan frets, ergonomics, intonation, and better string tension when using drop tunings. After trying fan frets, and wanting to like them, I found no advantages in any of the three areas. I do use drop tunings on electrics, down to a C tuning on a 25.5 scale. I use string guage to compensate for tension. 13-62. Intonation hasn't been a problem. Ergonomics can have very different requirements for each persons needs and style.

I would assume the tone on these thin bodies would be anemic acoustically, these are intended to be plugged in to be heard.

i expect a pretty low volume on the one I'm building. A sound hole may change that, but I went with the Rick Turner/Godin no sound hole style. A piezo under saddle pickup will be installed. I have a second body that is about 3" deep, same construction methods, different bracing, with a sound hole. That one I'm hoping for better unplugged sound and I'm not planning on installing a pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber