The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 PM

Default John Pearse Armrest on Shorty?

I recently bought a Shorty APLE from a forum member, a great transaction but I really noticed that my forearm is killing the sound from the top. I have never used one of theJP armrests and I was wondering if people had carbon fiber experience with them and if so, which size would fit a Shorty the best?
Old 08-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Check out post #5 here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=439266
Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM

Default Thanks

Wow, and so recent, missed that one. Looks like it might be a little too "flat" for the curvature...i wonder if the junior would fit a shorty better...?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM

In the main forum, do a search on Wade Hampton Miller and Pease armrests. Wade uses them on all of his guitars and some other instruments and is extremely knowledgeable about them.

I recall recently reading about *maybe* the slim profile JP armrest mounted backwards to make the curvature fit the lower bout better. This is probably an incorrect recollection though. [insert large grain of salt here]
Old 08-15-2016, 03:44 PM

I have an ebony slimline on my OM-sized Concert (same body size as the Shorty). The curve doesn't match perfectly, but it's pretty close.

It's a little more comfortable, not whole lot. But it does make the guitar noticeably louder.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

AAAAGGGGHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOO!! I WANT MY GUITAR BACK!!!

Just kidding. Glad you like the guitar. I used a JP arm rest on a Martin 00-28VS and it was okay. I wanted it more for keeping my arm off the guitar to keep the top finish from clouding up and to counter that edge digging into my forearm than for any reasons of tone improvement, of which I heard nothing appreciable. The problem was that it added even more width to the guitar and while the edge was little more rounded and was therefore a little more comfortable the difference was not huge because of the added width I think.

I never put one on another guitar after that but I did go over to beveled arm rest guitars for a couple (Kronbauers) and that was REALLY nice and comfortable and I thought I'd never be able to own a guitar without an arm bevel again but both of my current models (as well as the APLE I sold to you) do not have them and I have not felt compelled to put one on any of them.

The good news for you is that if you don't like it you definitely don't have to worry about finish issues removing it! Let us know how it goes and post some photos if you do add one.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM

The guitar referred to in "post 5" of the other thread is mine. I have no regrets putting an ebony Slim-line JP armrest on the Shorty. The top is now as ergonomically comfortable as the back.

The body is only 4" deep, so the extra depth added by the armrest is nominal. I think it looks great even though it isnt a perfect fit- I did work hard to make sure that the area my arm crosses the upper bout of the guitar would be covered by the armrest even if it looks just a hair off.

As far as putting one on the APLE, I think a Slim-line would look better than the bigger ones and I would maybe go with rosewood over ebony to match the brownish APLE finish. There are templates that can be printed and taped to the guitar while determining what size works best/ which one looks best, but I can't post a link to the webpage because it appears the JP site is temporarily down.

Maybe Wade will chime in?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Default Wooden Armrests????

On CARBON guitars

Just sayin'

JM
Old 08-15-2016, 09:52 PM

Made a "2-out" mold for the Jumbo.
Should have made it 4-out. (maybe would be cost-effective?)

The "aluminum/Trexeliam(?)" does NOT want to conform.

Colored Kevlar/carbon or just straight carbon would be best.

8 layers needed for 1/8" thick part.

Used the same mold (back of, and opposite side yields correct part) on smaller 15 1/4" bout model,
but not slightly over sized like it should be.

Could probably reduce the radius some to bring the rest closer to the top?

JM
Old 08-15-2016, 10:41 PM

Those armrests are fantastic. Not sure I'd want one screwed in, but I'd consider it.

I don't suppose you sell those?
Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 PM

One from India on eBay :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber