The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Am I a MIA snob?

Had a long chat with the buying agent for a local shop here about Fender teles. He confirmed a hunch, in that fender is trying to reset their MIM price point into the prior basic MIA slot of 1000-2000 USD. We both readily agreed upon the excellent quality of the current Mexican offerings, save for the gig bags.

I had an Isbell custom tele on order, but after careful research, and some honest input from the shop, I moved my deposit off the MIM tele and applied it to an American Prof II in roasted pine. I want to believe I am not simply being a MIA snob, as Ifelt the MIM didnt have near the features of the American. Couldnt find exactly what ‘Isbell voiced pups’ are, so Ill assume theyvare badic player models? Just seemed like a $700 standard model with road worn finish and a celebrity name. I dont know... but a AmPro II NGD is coming soon.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-18-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Had a long chat with the buying agent for a local shop here about Fender Teles. He confirmed a hunch, in that Fender is trying to reset their MIM price point into the prior basic MIA slot of 1000-2000 USD...
I've long suspected the same thing was happening with Gretsch (TMK still a FMIC holding), when they introduced the Indonesian-made 2000-Series Streamliners and started moving their 5400/5600-Series E-matic production to China (FYI the 5600 transition appears to be complete, MIK 5400's still generally available); for those who are unaware there's a $1K price gap between the top-line E-matics and the entry-level MIJ Professional Series - a state of affairs that leaves them wide open in what is perhaps best termed the "semi-pro" market and. speaking as one of many happy owners here on the AGF, one that the Korean guitars could easily fill at a higher price given their inherent quality. FWIW I've played a good number of the Mexi-Fenders, and with a few tweaks they could easily compete in the $1-2K bracket - the question in my mind is why they just didn't go to the Fender Japan operation for their semi-pro line...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 02-18-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:06 PM

It's a dated opinion I think. Overall the quality has definitely surpassed the standard of 20+ years ago with MIC and MIK instruments.

The only exclusion was Japan, who've always made outstanding guitars. I've had a few MIJ fenders that I really kick myself for selling.

Currently, I have a Korean made (2010) Epi Emperor, and a recent Korean made Gretsch. Add to that list, a MIC guild 12 string and a Sheraton Pro II.

They KILL the imports back from the late 90s, of which I had more than just a few, and eventually sold due to one short coming or another (subpar hardware, muddy sounding pickups, askew necks.)

They were just not up to the same standards that I am seeing these days.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Just to be clear, I did not mean “$700 guitar” in a disparaging way. Quite the opposite, in fact, but just that they dont have many of the modern features or electronics of the more expensive American builds. Do those differences justify my unwillingness to pay 1500 for a MIM, or am I just too stubborn?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-18-2021, 02:37 PM

I too would have went with the MIA but that's because I think it's the better value, regardless of cost. $1500 and it doesn't even have a hardshell case (which is becoming more the norm).

The Pro II is the same price, correct? That has the hardshell case and although it's a preference thing a 9.5" radius (rather than the 7.25") and a wider nut width as well.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Pro II is the same price, correct? That has the hardshell case and although it's a preference thing a 9.5" radius (rather than the 7.25") and a wider nut width as well.
The Pro II is 100 more, but has a hardshell case. So, essentially the same price. It has a slightly wider neck, bone nut, 9.5 radius, sculpted neck joint, rounded edge fret board. All plusses to me. I really wished it had a nitro finish, but they gave it a poly. Also has the newer pups, which I hear are nearly silent, but we’ll see. 6 1/2 pound roasted pine body suits my aging shoulders.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-18-2021, 03:50 PM

I thought MIM guitars were less expensive than MIA mostly because the cost of living in Mexico is about half the USA cost, not because they're an inferior product.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I had similar thoughts when I ordered my American Pro Strat. But, it was also the only version where I could also get it in ash.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I thought MIM guitars were less expensive than MIA mostly because the cost of living in Mexico is about half the USA cost, not because they're an inferior product.
Labor is certainly a lower cost in Mexico, but as to quality of workmanship, I think thats evolving. There are many fine, trained Mexican luthiers who take exceptional pride in their work. Automation and CAD/CAM are increasing at home and afar. Ive been told that US companies are starting to send better woods and components to their offshore factories.

This topic has beenbeaten to death in other threads, but worth repeating that the quality gap has narrowed significantly....and the price gap, at least for some builders, is beginning to narrow.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-19-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Hi DNF!

Well, first, congrats on getting that Fender American PRO II Tele in burnt pine coming your way. That is going to be a fantastic guitar and it's going to look terrific!

I recently bought a Fender American Pro II Strat in Dark Night finish (which I really love), but I was going back and forth with myself, also really liking that burnt pine finish! I love the pickups and the playability of these new Fender guitars!

Here's a video I made right after getting my new Pro II strat:

Regarding the MIM Strats and Teles, I own a MIM Tele with American pickups and electronics and it's a wonderful guitar! (I used that Tele in the video above for part of the solo.) I very much agree that the MIM Fender products are super deals.

I also agree with Steve DeRosa about the Gretsch 5400 Electromatic guitars, which seem to be killer guitars with terrific quality control. I am so tempted to buy one of these!

It's a great time for guitar players!

- Glenn
Old 02-19-2021, 02:25 PM

Well I like to think of it this way. Short of custom guitars, ask yourself "if money were no object, what would I prefer?" Answering "USA Fender over MiM Fender" shouldn't be considered more "snobbish" than saying "Chocolate over Mint chocolate chip".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars