The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-04-2021, 07:37 PM

Default Frustrated with GarageBand on Ipad

I am trying to use multitrack recording on my IPad with the GarageBand app that came with my IPad.

I can record multiple tracks with guitar and vocals, but I can’t figure out how to listen to tracks and record along with them on a new track.

Where do you plug in the headphones? I’m using a Behringer UMC202HD to connect my gear. Do you plug headphones into that? I can hear myself play and sing through it when I record, but I can’t listen to tracks and add to it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an app for multitrack recording vocals, harmony, and multiple guitars? I’m ready to give up on GarageBand.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanWI View Post
I am trying to use multitrack recording on my IPad with the GarageBand app that came with my IPad.

I can record multiple tracks with guitar and vocals, but I can’t figure out how to listen to tracks and record along with them on a new track.

Where do you plug in the headphones? I’m using a Behringer UMC202HD to connect my gear. Do you plug headphones into that? I can hear myself play and sing through it when I record, but I can’t listen to tracks and add to it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an app for multitrack recording vocals, harmony, and multiple guitars? I’m ready to give up on GarageBand.
Don't use GB but Your are supposed to be able to overdub so maybe this video will help ... You should be able to use the Behringer HP out for overdubbing but I am not familiar with it .....You may need to back off the volume of the already recorded track in GB and up the volume of the Phones on the Behringer ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-06-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi Bryan
Some of the newer Digital Interfaces (MOTU-M2, Scarlett, etc) are iOS compliant and will allow you to loop back the audio to the interface from the computer, which means you can monitor them through the Interface's headphone jack.

It's important if you plan to continue recording on the iPad that you find an interface which is iOS capable for that feature.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-07-2021, 12:42 PM

My Behringer unit is supposed to be iOS compatible. I watched the video and several others, and I still can’t listen thru headphones and record a new track.

Is anyone out there using GarageBand to record guitar and vocals and add new tracks?
Old 02-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My Behringer unit is supposed to be iOS compatible. I watched the video and several others, and I still can’t listen thru headphones and record a new track.

Is anyone out there using GarageBand to record guitar and vocals and add new tracks?
How are you connecting the interface to the iPad, and if it has a headphone output (on the top is where my old Mini has it), have you tried listening through that?
Old 02-08-2021, 12:37 PM

Your problem is not Garage Band. No matter which recording app and interface you use, you'll need to spend some time becoming familiar with them.

Have you spent time reading the manuals of both GarageBand and your Behringer?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD