The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2021, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Default How thick is Emerald finish/and does CF need finish?

I don't know what CF is like in the raw and wonder if finish is simply a cosmetic matter, and you could technically do without. Wood obviously needs it for protection. Anybody know the thickness on the Emeralds? Would Emerald do a super thin finish if requested? For factory guitars finish can be around .006/7. Handmades maybe 2/3 usually.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:24 AM

I can not answer your question, however from the FAQ at Emerald's site there is one question regarding top coat:

What kind of top coat do you use?

We currently use a high quality polyester top coat. We find the polyester gives a high quality and resilient finish, but more importantly we find it acoustically transparent as its very similar in makeup to the resins we use in our guitar and so has minimal dampening effect on the tone.

Hope that is of some benefit.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 AM

I don't know the details other than they basically use a durable automotive clear coat. Having handled fiberglass insulation, I would not want to be anywhere near unsealed carbon fiber..... itchy. Respect to those working with CF cloth.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyEC View Post
I can not answer your question, however from the FAQ at Emerald's site there is one question regarding top coat:

What kind of top coat do you use?

We currently use a high quality polyester top coat. We find the polyester gives a high quality and resilient finish, but more importantly we find it acoustically transparent as its very similar in makeup to the resins we use in our guitar and so has minimal dampening effect on the tone.

Hope that is of some benefit.
Thanks Kenny, I will probably have to contact them. Finish has higher mass than wood and I am sure CF especially. In the end it probably won't make a difference. I am still interested though. Less finish is potentially preferable on wood guitars. With CF I have no idea.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Emeralds finish is a gel coat, then with a lacquer on top. Because of the dry layup, the carbon/resin is always under a gelcoat layer. The paint and finishing work around the seams is then complete, prior to a top coat of clear.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgavy View Post
Emeralds finish is a gel coat, then with a lacquer on top. Because of the dry layup, the carbon/resin is always under a gelcoat layer. The paint and finishing work around the seams is then complete, prior to a top coat of clear.
How does that differ from Emerald's satin finish, Simon?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-22-2021, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
How does that differ from Emerald's satin finish, Simon?
Just a different top coat on the lacquer that cures to a satin finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber