The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-28-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archemi View Post
I recommend the now discontinued short scale Rainsong Smokey.

I owned a Rainsong Shorty which is the same body style and scale length, but I found the Smokey to be more comfortable and better sounding.

I ended up adjusting the saddle radius to match the flat 20” fretboard, and I think it plays the better for it.

They pop up from to time under $1400 used, and I think Dave’s Guitar Shop has one for sale right now.
The Smokey is a different animal in both construction and body size. I also bought a Shorty in 2014 and did extensive research when I did. I became very knowledgeable in both speaking with RainSong directly, Ted from LA Guitars, and finally Michael from now closed Macnichol Guitars and Mandolins (who I eventually made my purchase from). The guitar on Dave's Guitar shop for $1400 is not a Smokey but rather a CH-OM1000NS. It is more equivalent to the Shorty than the Smokey.

The Smokey is the most budget friendly WS size guitar RainSong ever released as the entire guitar is a hybrid carbon/glass construction and has a matte finish. The Shorty and CH-OM1000NS both have the same, more expensive, unidirectional full carbon tops found as the Concert Series.

Just thought I'd share, RainSong's lineup was getting a little confusing there for awhile
Old 12-28-2020, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Love the size of my RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret. It’s so comfortable to play, and sounds great.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The Smokey is a different animal in both construction and body size. I also bought a Shorty in 2014 and did extensive research when I did. I became very knowledgeable in both speaking with RainSong directly, Ted from LA Guitars, and finally Michael from now closed Macnichol Guitars and Mandolins (who I eventually made my purchase from). The guitar on Dave's Guitar shop for $1400 is not a Smokey but rather a CH-OM1000NS. It is more equivalent to the Shorty than the Smokey.

The Smokey is the most budget friendly WS size guitar RainSong ever released as the entire guitar is a hybrid carbon/glass construction and has a matte finish. The Shorty and CH-OM1000NS both have the same, more expensive, unidirectional full carbon tops found as the Concert Series.

Just thought I'd share, RainSong's lineup was getting a little confusing there for awhile
Your just a little off on the build of the Smokey........There are two versions of the Smokey one is All carbon fiber which cost $1,999.00 out the door and then the version your referring to which is the SMH version with the glass/carbon back and sides and top.....most people prefer the SMH for the warm and balanced tone.....I believe by them trying to build a lower material cost to produce guitar they came up with a winner that they had to quit building to justify the cost of their all carbon fiber lines. Just my opinion, your mileage my vary .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber