The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Accidental Harmonic after resetting action

Have a 2012 Epi LP Traditional Plustop Pro that I recently changed strings on. I lowered the action a bit, and (while the neck seems straight and I have the relief I'd like down most of the neck) I get to a place on the 16th feet- right above where the neck joins the body- that all I get is a harmonic when I fret the note on my B string. It seems to play fine on both sides of that fret in all other places.

Could this be a fret that needs leveling, or do I need to cheat the action back up a little more and not be so lazy?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspike15 View Post
Have a 2012 Epi LP Traditional Plustop Pro that I recently changed strings on. I lowered the action a bit, and (while the neck seems straight and I have the relief I'd like down most of the neck) I get to a place on the 16th feet- right above where the neck joins the body- that all I get is a harmonic when I fret the note on my B string. It seems to play fine on both sides of that fret in all other places.

Could this be a fret that needs leveling, or do I need to cheat the action back up a little more and not be so lazy?

I think you are experiencing the limit of your guitar's fretwork. That's the classic sign of a high fret or an uneven fretboard extension. Typically your choices are to get a tech to level the frets and set up the guitar or raise the action.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
...That's the classic sign of a high fret or an uneven fretboard extension. Typically your choices are to get a tech to level the frets and set up the guitar or raise the action...
Speaking from experience the fretwork on post-2008, MIC Epiphones is notoriously inconsistent - the typical cover-up for which is ultra-light strings and higher-than-necessary action ("Don't worry, you can always lower the bridge and adjust the truss rod when you get home - now, will that be cash or credit?"); if you're looking to keep the guitar over the long haul, I'd go for the fret job/setup...
Old 07-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Either the 16th is low or the 17th is high, is my take on it. Using a short straight edge to rock on the frets should expose the troublemaker. If you like the guitar other than that, have them leveled, crowned, and polished by a pro. I've done a few of those jobs on Epiphones, and you can get the action super low and easy to play when it's done right.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars