The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-13-2015, 06:19 PM

Default This amp shocks me !!

While not having any real need, I purchased a Bugera v22 Infinium combo. I bought it just based on the good reviews it keeps getting despite its lineage. I am absolutely stunned how great the clean channel is on this amp, it sounds unlike any amp I've ever played through. I have a Hotrod3, AC15c1 and an Egnater Tweaker 40. All have been retubed with the Fender and Egnater also having new speakers. With regards to the clean channel, the V22 sounds better than all of them. I'm not sure what the term "boutique" is supposed to mean but I'm guessing this is it.

I did retube it with JJ's but the stock Turbosound speaker is phenomenal. I don't know if I got the one out of a thousand units or if they all sound like this. Now the bad news..... The dirt channel is "eh" at best but the amp takes pedals very well. Something like this from the Behringer parent company........I'm confused.
(Happily)
Old 11-13-2015, 06:33 PM

From the thread title I thought you meant something else, bad earth perhaps lol.

Anyway good to hear all is well. I have heard good reviews on them. Happy new amp day!

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 PM

I own a Midas digital mixer (M32?) and Midas has always been known for making fantastic desks.
Midas is now owned by Behringer's parent company....
The Behringer digital mixer (X32?) is pretty well respected in the sound reinforcement community as well.
Behringer used to mean sub-par (and it sometimes still does) but they are improving their reputation.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
...I purchased a Bugera v22 Infinium combo...I am absolutely stunned how great the clean channel is on this amp, it sounds unlike any amp I've ever played through...I don't know if I got the one out of a thousand units or if they all sound like this. Now the bad news...The dirt channel is "eh" at best but the amp takes pedals very well. Something like this from the Behringer parent company...I'm confused...
I'm not surprised - I have the pre-Infinium version and I can't say enough good things about mine - and yeah, since they worked out the initial-production electronic bugs they're all like this; a couple hints, based on my own experience:
  • For some reason JJ's aren't the best match for this amp, in either the pre or power stages - I've been using these, and if you want to talk boutique tone they'll give it to you in spades:
    http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Pr...ies-7025-12AX7
    http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Pr...9-Premium-EL84
    Order the matched triodes across the board for your preamp tubes (well worth the extra $5), and if you're after vintage Ampeg-style "big clean" tone and/or you intend to use it as a pedal platform, get the highest-rated power tubes they've got; those Soviet-era mil-spec tone bottles are tougher than anything I've encountered outside of old (and very expensive) American JAN stuff, and you'll never believe they're EL84's - sound more like big (6L6, 6CA7, 7027) American tubes...
  • I'm more an old-school guy when it comes to tone - having cut my musical teeth in the early/mid-60's I tend more toward the cleaner side, and the nice bluesy crunch I get from the OD channel serves me well for most purposes. If you need more gain (as I do on occasion), pop a Mesa SP-AX7 in V2 and get your Carlos on - or if you really want to hit those Russki power tubes with some serious voltage, use one in V3 as well; since you appear to have some experience with tube amps don't be afraid to experiment with different tubes in different positions, and don't forget the triode/pentode switch - there are some nice Vox/Marshall tones in there for the taking...
  • Although the new ones are self-monitoring/biasing, TMK you can still adjust the bias current by way of a small pot and RCA-jack monitoring point on the lower chassis; if you've got an adventurous tech (or you know how to do this yourself) and a few choice tubes, this is where things start to get really interesting...
Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 11-13-2015, 10:08 PM

A friend of mine on another forum has one and cannot say enough good things about it.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm not surprised - I have the pre-Infinium version and I can't say enough good things about mine - and yeah, since they worked out the initial-production electronic bugs they're all like this; a couple hints, based on my own experience:
  • For some reason JJ's aren't the best match for this amp, in either the pre or power stages - I've been using these, and if you want to talk boutique tone they'll give it to you in spades:
    http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Pr...ies-7025-12AX7
    http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Pr...9-Premium-EL84
    Order the matched triodes across the board for your preamp tubes (well worth the extra $5), and if you're after vintage Ampeg-style "big clean" tone and/or you intend to use it as a pedal platform, get the highest-rated power tubes they've got; those Soviet-era mil-spec tone bottles are tougher than anything I've encountered outside of old (and very expensive) American JAN stuff, and you'll never believe they're EL84's - sound more like big (6L6, 6CA7, 7027) American tubes...
  • I'm more an old-school guy when it comes to tone - having cut my musical teeth in the early/mid-60's I tend more toward the cleaner side, and the nice bluesy crunch I get from the OD channel serves me well for most purposes. If you need more gain (as I do on occasion), pop a Mesa SP-AX7 in V2 and get your Carlos on - or if you really want to hit those Russki power tubes with some serious voltage, use one in V3 as well; since you appear to have some experience with tube amps don't be afraid to experiment with different tubes in different positions, and don't forget the triode/pentode switch - there are some nice Vox/Marshall tones in there for the taking...
  • Although the new ones are self-monitoring/biasing, TMK you can still adjust the bias current by way of a small pot and RCA-jack monitoring point on the lower chassis; if you've got an adventurous tech (or you know how to do this yourself) and a few choice tubes, this is where things start to get really interesting...
Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Hi Steve

Bugera omitted that RCA input on the new models so there's no adjustment that I'm aware of. Dropping in some JJ's did make the (already) great clean channel slightly better. My biggest grip with the gain channel is the bottom just disappears when its engaged. The JJ's made the texture better but the bottom issue didn't change. Any input there? And thanks for the tube input

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars