The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-12-2021, 04:16 AM

Default Resources for chord finder

Hi
does anyone have any resources for a chord finder? I'm looking for something that can figure out a chord for me simply by typing in intervals or notes? The one's I've been finding are fretboard versions, but I'm playing around with alternate tunings so it won't work.

For example, I have this tuning that I know is a Bmajor so it has 135 components, but it has an E in the low bass string so it becomes a 4135....
Old 04-12-2021, 05:59 AM

This is a really interesting question. I don't know of an app that can do this and started to think how I would do it for myself. It gets complicated quite fast but here's how I might try.

The first thing that came to mind is that context can be important in naming chords.

If you have a piece of music and you know the Key and you can identify a Root for the chord then the process can be simple.

From the Root look for a 3rd. That will tell you if it is major or minor. Then have you got a 5th. Not all guitar chords will have all three of the basic triad notes but I would suggest you look for them first. Then look for added notes, 2nds 4ths 6ths and 7ths. Identify any notes that don't fit any of the above and then build the chord name.

If you are experimenting with a new tuning and finding collections of notes you like and wish to name, I can see all the above getting more difficult. There will be no context, no key and no clue to suggest what is root. It might be a case of taking each note in turn and seeing if it works as root.

Oh yes, and in some genres you don't always expect to find a root in a chord.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:39 AM

I use the SmartChord app that has many many tunings and you can also add your custom tuning. It also has many other features in addition to chords and pretty much my most used guitar app. The free version is already loaded but I paid for all features. They also gave responsive customer support and it is easy to make suggestions for improvement. For example I suggested rootless chords for ukuleles and they had it in the app only 3 weeks later.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:49 AM

Deleted...
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 04-12-2021 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
Hi
does anyone have any resources for a chord finder? I'm looking for something that can figure out a chord for me simply by typing in intervals or notes? The one's I've been finding are fretboard versions, but I'm playing around with alternate tunings so it won't work.

For example, I have this tuning that I know is a Bmajor so it has 135 components, but it has an E in the low bass string so it becomes a 4135....

This fretboard version has many alternate tuning options
when the" Tunings "tab is selected.
To find a chord, select the "Finder" tab then enter the desired notes to the chord you're trying to identify.

https://www.guitaristsreference.com/...tunings&id=t39
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 04-13-2021 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:43 PM

I don't know how it compares to others mentioned, but if you live in the Apple universe, Guitar Toolkit does just that (among other things). Works with any tuning you care to set up. It was the one app I missed when I went to android.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 04-17-2021, 08:35 PM

The GuitarToolkit app lets you adjust the strings to any alternate tuning you want, and you can chose the string and fret you are holding down or chose to mute or play the string open. It then calculates the various chords names you can use. You can then add it to a chord sheet. I think you may need top ur has3 the full version of the app todo all of this, but it has been worth it for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write