The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-01-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Working Towards a Goal

Well, it’s been 2 years exactly since I decided to focus on learning to flatpick acoustic guitar and learning to sing with guitar, and I set myself the goal to work up some solo songs for the campfire, pub and local open mic’.

I recorded myself on my phone last night and for the first time I think that I am now just about ready to venture out into the world with a few songs once we come out of lockdown. It has been a long journey so far, with many more miles to go. But I do think that having a specific goal to aim for has kept me on track and probably speeded up my learning.

I feel my singing is the area now that needs the most work as I feel that I'm only just starting to find my voice with guitar, and haven't got that right yet. And I have no solo performance experience, so that's all going to be new to me when the local open mic' starts up again.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:19 AM

Nice! Good playing and good singing as well. I’m still at a point where my singing voice detracts from the song as a whole lol. Your singing is good enough that it’s just part of the song. Making the guitar sound pretty good has been a lot easier than voice for me. Rock on brave Sir Robin
Old 04-01-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Thanks!

It is quite a challenge to post my first video here of me playing and singing.

My aim with my guitar playing is to get good enough so that no one notices it - if that makes sense?

And my aim with my singing is to get good enough to engage an audience.

I played dobro in a bluegrass band for many years so I have some experience of playing on stage. And I sing with a Welsh MVC so have some experience of collective singing in front of an audience.

But going solo, just me and a guitar, well, that's just on a different level altogether. And it is taking a lot of work to get anywhere near playing at the local open mic' or taking one of the solo spots at a local choir concert evening. Once lockdown lifts I really want to do both of those.

I have just recently started videoing at various times during my practices, and that feedback is greatly helping me see where I can improve. I should have started videoing myself much earlier as I'm sure I would have improved quicker.

I spent the first 18 months playing the wrong guitars; both dreadnaughts. I thought because I wanted to flatpick and had a bluegrass background that a dread was the way to go. But I struggled to sing across them, not just because of their volume but also their voicing. Then I saw some videos of Tim O'Brien flatpicking and singing with 00/000 guitars and thought I'd try one out. I bought that Art & Lutherie Legacy I'm playing in the video second hand off Ebay as a stop gap. I've grown very fond of it's dry, earthy voicing and so I'm not looking too hard for a "better" guitar as this one works well for me.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-01-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:04 AM

Great playing and singing! Thanks for sharing.

One of my struggles when I sing and play (which is not often), is that I get pulled around by the singing line, and my rhythm/playing suffer. Your playing was as good behind the singing as on its own.

Also, great use of 'dampening dresses' to cover echoes from that hard wardrobe!

Tom
Old 04-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
Great playing and singing! Thanks for sharing.

One of my struggles when I sing and play (which is not often), is that I get pulled around by the singing line, and my rhythm/playing suffer. Your playing was as good behind the singing as on its own.

Also, great use of 'dampening dresses' to cover echoes from that hard wardrobe!

Tom
Thanks Tom,

Yes, that playing one rhythm and singing phrases in another needs specific practice. I try and drive my playing into the non-conscious and leave it there! Which is easier said than done. Surprisingly, I think that using a metronome helps. I got used to hearing the guitar and the metronome together and listening out for the metronome drove my guitar playing to become more "automatic" so I could sort of forget about it while singing and just let the playing roll on doing its own thing. I think it is a bit like chatting to your passenger while driving. You have spent so many hours driving that your non-conscious mind is quite happy getting on with the job perfectly safely while your conscious mind is listening and responding to the conversation with your passenger. You don't have to "think" about driving, you just have to "think" about the conversation. I'm trying to get the guitar playing wired enough that I don't have to "think" about it and can concentrate on singing.

PS. I think the dresses are being considered for Ebay, which is why they are out - but don't quote me!

Old 04-01-2021, 01:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Robin,

You sound great, man! I really enjoyed this. To me, the hardest part of singing and playing, at least with fairly complicated or intricate playing, is to maintain timing. The vocals need to be "in the pocket", but a separate instrument, if that makes sense. You did a great job here, in my opinion!
Old 04-01-2021, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Thanks!

It is quite a challenge to post my first video here of me playing and singing.

My aim with my guitar playing is to get good enough so that no one notices it - if that makes sense?

And my aim with my singing is to get good enough to engage an audience.

I played dobro in a bluegrass band for many years so I have some experience of playing on stage. And I sing with a Welsh MVC so have some experience of collective singing in front of an audience.

But going solo, just me and a guitar, well, that's just on a different level altogether. And it is taking a lot of work to get anywhere near playing at the local open mic' or taking one of the solo spots at a local choir concert evening. Once lockdown lifts I really want to do both of those.

I have just recently started videoing at various times during my practices, and that feedback is greatly helping me see where I can improve. I should have started videoing myself much earlier as I'm sure I would have improved quicker.

I spent the first 18 months playing the wrong guitars; both dreadnaughts. I thought because I wanted to flatpick and had a bluegrass background that a dread was the way to go. But I struggled to sing across them, not just because of their volume but also their voicing. Then I saw some videos of Tim O'Brien flatpicking and singing with 00/000 guitars and thought I'd try one out. I bought that Art & Lutherie Legacy I'm playing in the video second hand off Ebay as a stop gap. I've grown very fond of it's dry, earthy voicing and so I'm not looking too hard for a "better" guitar as this one works well for me.
I can so relate, Robin.
Thanks for posting this and sharing your progress with us. I am in a similar boat thought not nearly as far a long as you with flatpicking. I have been writing songs but feel that my guitar playing techniques need to catch up so I can play what I hear in my head. So, practice, indeed!

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-02-2021, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hey Robin,

You sound great, man! I really enjoyed this. To me, the hardest part of singing and playing, at least with fairly complicated or intricate playing, is to maintain timing. The vocals need to be "in the pocket", but a separate instrument, if that makes sense. You did a great job here, in my opinion!
Thanks Larry, that's great advice. I can hear my guitar's timing drift at various points so I'll work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I can so relate, Robin.
Thanks for posting this and sharing your progress with us. I am in a similar boat thought not nearly as far a long as you with flatpicking. I have been writing songs but feel that my guitar playing techniques need to catch up so I can play what I hear in my head. So, practice, indeed!

Best,
Jayne
Thanks Jayne. I'd love to have a go at writing songs but I can never think of a subject. Except for little comedy ditties for my grandchildren.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:52 AM

Sounds really good! I found myself applauding at my laptop screen when it was over. Nice relaxed but expressive vocal approach, your pitch is solid, and the guitar playing is crisp and driving.

Good luck with gigging. If you’re at all like me, the main challenge will be managing the adrenaline rush of solo performance. Take slow easy breaths, keep your voice supported, and let the songs happen in their own sweet time.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 04-04-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Sounds really good! I found myself applauding at my laptop screen when it was over. Nice relaxed but expressive vocal approach, your pitch is solid, and the guitar playing is crisp and driving.

Good luck with gigging. If youÂ’re at all like me, the main challenge will be managing the adrenaline rush of solo performance. Take slow easy breaths, keep your voice supported, and let the songs happen in their own sweet time.
Thanks!

Yep, performance anxiety is certainly going to be a "thing". As much as I can visualise playing solo in front of an audience during practice I know the reality will be quite different.

I think that I'm going to video myself practicing on a fairly regular basis just to get used to being in that "performance" space.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Great vocals, you’ll do fine!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Great vocals, youÂ’ll do fine!
Thanks Bob!

I do feel like I'm still trying to find my voice with guitar. It is the accent. I have what's known as a "Standard British Southern" accent. And a British top tenor choir range. I joined my local Welsh Male Voice Choir about 4 years ago, but most of the repertoire is in the Welsh language so that adds some confusion to my singing accent! And I sang 3rd part top harmony with a bluegrass band on some songs in our set.

It is very tempting for me to sing songs solo with guitar in a "mid Atlantic" accent. But I'm realising now that I really can't carry that off. So I'm just starting to work on using my own natural accent / singing voice and it is changing my approach to vocals. I watched a documentary on Fleetwood Mac a few days ago and Christine McVie took a similar approach with the same English accent. So that's given me some food for thought.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:41 AM

Oh! This was really nice! Well done.

May I just say that you remind me very much of a younger Clint Eastwood when he sings, only you are considerably better at it?

Old 04-06-2021, 05:09 PM

Awesome job Robin!!!

You have nothing to worry about. You will be well received no matter where you preform that song. Bravo

On a separate note would you please share your learning method for that song? I have recently focused more on flatpicking and that is one of the songs I would love to learn.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:36 PM

I think you're doing just fine, Robin. Your performance was engaging and held my attention. Well done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write