The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-10-2021, 07:57 PM

Default Small, Simple, Travel-ready Dual Input DI?

Hi all, I'm looking to find a DI box/preamp that I can bring with me on trips to mix two acoustic inputs on stage. Here's the thing(s): 1) I'm not a techy. 2) I'd like something small in size to pack in my guitar case or carry on. 3) I'm not a gear head.

I have considered just getting a two quarter-inch input to one stereo input cable and putting that in whatever DI Box the house PA system gives me. Is that a good option?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
JB
Old 04-10-2021, 09:51 PM

Two separate instruments?

One instrument with two transducers?

Two individual players each having their own instrument?

More specifics could get you some suggestions. There's not much to go on here.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:25 PM

If you want the ability to blend (mix) two pickups on the same instrument the Baggs Mix-Pro works well.

If you want to plug in more than one instrument (but only play one at a time) this is a good place for an A-B (or A-B-C) box. Or just use a mute pedal and unplug/plug as needed.

If you are in a duo and want to plug two instruments being played simultaneously into a single DI/preamp I'd use the RedEye Twin.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:44 PM

Thanks. I’m looking at one guitar with two pick ups. I’d like to blend them but don’t want to carry around (on planes) a large DI box/preamp and also don’t want to deal with a lot of different EQ and Tone knobs. The simpler the better.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 PM

What type of pickups?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:49 PM

There is an under saddle baggs vtc and I have a fishman rare earth blend on the way. If I’m doing the math right, this would give me three sound sources: under saddle, sound hole, and mic. I’d have one instrument cable coming from the under saddle and one instrument cable coming from the rare earth blend. I’d like to mix those together. Am I on the right track? JB
Old 04-12-2021, 07:58 PM

Depending on the type of pickups you are using you could use a K&K Trinity preamp or Baggs MixPro (but they aren’t DIs). Here are some good outboard units you could try:

Out there right now:
Radial Tonebone PZ Pro (PZ Pre can also mix pickups but it doesn’t have separate EQs)
Elite Acoustics GigMix, StompMix 4, and Stompmix 6

Out of Production: these are good to find used
Pendulum SPS-1 (rack unit but very cool)
DTar Solstice
Raven PMB
Fishman Blender

In terms of ease of use, versatility, and availability, the Elite Acoustic units are hard to beat.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-13-2021, 01:47 PM

check this post

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...99&postcount=2
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-15-2021, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorris View Post
There is an under saddle baggs vtc and I have a fishman rare earth blend on the way. If I’m doing the math right, this would give me three sound sources: under saddle, sound hole, and mic. I’d have one instrument cable coming from the under saddle and one instrument cable coming from the rare earth blend. I’d like to mix those together. Am I on the right track? JB

The Fishman Rare Earth Blend is equipped with a preamp internally. I think the VTC may also. Just something to keep in mind for choosing a DI. You run the risk of multiple stages of gain.

Last edited by euraquilo; 04-16-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorris View Post
Hi all, I'm looking to find a DI box/preamp that I can bring with me on trips to mix two acoustic inputs on stage. Here's the thing(s): 1) I'm not a techy. 2) I'd like something small in size to pack in my guitar case or carry on. 3) I'm not a gear head.

I have considered just getting a two quarter-inch input to one stereo input cable and putting that in whatever DI Box the house PA system gives me. Is that a good option?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
JB
Check out this thread about the gigmix4. The mixer will fit in a guitar case. I've had mine a couple of days and it has a lot of nice features and really sounds good. I can see this working extremely well with dual source from one guitar.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=612273
Old 05-04-2021, 09:41 AM

Update: I think the Radial PZ-Pro is where I’m going to land. It looks a bit bigger (and is mode expensive) than what I was hoping for, especially in terms of air-travel. But it looks simple and minimal compared to other options. I’m not a gear head. I know enough to be dangerous. I want something that gives me the best two source pick up sound with a bit of control over the EQ, and a way to mute it easily for tuning. This seems to be top of the line for those exact needs.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Since you say you don't really want EQ or other knobs, maybe consider a Radial dual DI? They make a couple, I think this one is the cheapest and smallest:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ent-direct-box

This gives you 2 ins and 2 separate DI outs, so blending would happen on the board.

Also consider the Red Eye Twin, for an active preamp/DI:

https://www.fire-eye.com/new-page

This will give you blending, a single tone control on each channel as well as volume, and a few other small features. Good sound, and very minimalist.

The Radial PZ/Pro is a fine choice too, but it has all the things you said you didn't want (tho they are useful....)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:53 AM

Doug! Thank you so much. This is super helpful info re: the radial dual DI. I would much rather let the professional sound person handle the EQ stuff; and the smaller size would be awesome. I’ll also check out the Fire Eye. JB
Old 05-07-2021, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I love the Radial products. I have an older stereo JDI. The newer ones are smaller. Jensen equipped transformers (they're the best ) $299.U.S.

The Radial Pro is cheaper at $149. But no Jensen Transformers.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:07 PM

For the Radial Pro D2: If I put a tuner pedal in the effects input, can I tune silently? Will engaging the tuner mute the signal?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification