The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-29-2021, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Not long after starting the hobby a few years ago I had heard about carbon fiber guitars both on this site and on YouTube- and I could not have been less interested. The humidity resistance was a nice feature, but I didn’t think humidifying on wood guitars was difficult, and most importantly I’m old school in just about everything I do from the music I play and listen to, to the strategy I like to use for a game I enjoy playing, to the whiskey I drink. All of it old school. Did any of my heros play CF? Of course not. I would not think of even considering it. Along my journey I had started out on Taylors, then Martins then a mix of both - and I was getting a little closer to the sound in my head but the improvements after cycling through several guitars was modest. When I visited my local shop to taste test the new Taylor GTs, I was surprised when my sales guy handed me a blue guitar they just received- he knew I was old school, and he told me to keep an open mind. And in 30 seconds of playing my guitar playing world was turned upside down. It was a RainSong WS (grand auditorium) guitar and unlike most wood guitars I had played, the tone on the unwound strings was rich and full sounding. This was not an incremental improvement- it was a dramatic improvement. I had fallen for CF not because of its environmental resistance but because of the tone first and foremost. 3 Nazareth made Martins have been sold since, and only my Gruhn exclusive D-28 12 fret remains of my former American made Martin collection. And I will have another NCFGD coming up in the next couple of weeks, hopefully.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 03-29-2021, 09:27 PM

The first time I heard about carbon fiber guitar should be from Dream guitar. Al Petteway play his APLE limited model.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 03-30-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
The first time I heard about carbon fiber guitar should be from Dream guitar. Al Petteway play his APLE limited model.

An excellent demo of a very fine guitar. I’ve had the opportunity to play one when I was doing an Emerald meet’n’greet with futboljim from this forum, and was most impressed.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-30-2021, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post

Al played a few tracks on his mountain guitar album on one of these. He said no one has picked out which tracks were done on the RainSong yet.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 03-31-2021, 09:10 PM

I've moved around quite a bit, two continents, several cities, mostly in humid climates. I had a Washburn who's neck ended up with a severe back bow and was advised by two repair shops that it wasn't really repairable.
I was in Sydney for work and popped into a small, used guitar shop. In the back room was a Rainsong 12 string. I was stunned at how easy it was to play, researched online and found the MacNichol forum, read a lot, and was particularly interested in the stability side of things. From what I read I decided that I wanted a Composite Acoustics GX. I was still living in Australia but knew I would be visiting the US so finally ordered one to pick up on my arrival in San Francisco. It came back with me, served me well (after a bit of string chopping and changing), moved back to the US for a few years and participated in several MacNichol roadtrips. Moved back to Australia. Took it to London for a few months. Had something drop on it in storage in a hotel (the case cracked, the guitar was fine). Had it kicked across a room (by accident) at a jam where things were getting a little "loose". No problems. Dropped it in the London Tube - a tuner bent, replaced it, otherwise fine. Survived many plane trips, long and short. No problems, even if it did get lost somewhere in Malaysia for a bit.
I did sell it, finally, to fund a purchase as my musical style and interest changed. I would have loved to have kept it if I could, it was a real soldier.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 04-01-2021, 09:04 AM
Guest 928

For those of you who may not have heard TDQ's, check out his Utube play. He's some kind of good.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:36 AM

Four years ago was on Youtube looking for covers of songs.

Found a lovely finger style version of "Desperado" played by Jocelyn Ong on a red guitar with offset sound hole.

Youtube info said it was an Emerald X5-OS and pointed to Art Music Kitchen, an importer in tropical Singapore, who blogged about carbon fibre guitars. Found AGF and was fascinated by the thread about the EvanB red X10-OS nylon string prototype.

Played and liked guitars from Composite Acoustics, McPherson, RainSong, Journey Instruments. And from Blackbird and KLOS couple years later. Didn't know it was unusual to find them in local guitar stores (today reduced from four stores to three brands in two stores).

Got a CA Cargo as a travel/starter guitar and later a wonderful RainSong dread for outdoor jam sessions and sing-alongs.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 04-06-2021 at 07:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber