The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2022, 05:22 PM

Default Travel Guitars - Again

I've been putting this off for a while, and I realize it's been discussed before, but I have an upcoming trip overseas and I'm going to need something to keep my repitior up. So out of the folding travel guitars that come with a back pack and will fit in the overhead bin, which do you think will be best for a fingerstyle player? I've got to have a 1 3/4" nut (or wider) and decent spacing at the bridge and I also need something that can handle alternate tunings, all the way down to a C on the low E string. Any recomendations?
Old 04-05-2022, 05:28 PM

I’ve had a bunch and I’d recommend the Furch Little Jane or a Journey OF660.

The Furch is a 24” scale and is wood so it has a woody tone - it folds up very small in its bag. A little neck heavy, sounds great.

The Journey has a much bigger bag and has a longer 24.5 scale length. It’s built like a tank and is very comfortable to play.

You can’t go wrong with either - depending on the day of the week my answer would be different to this question.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:44 PM

As always, I recommend Voyage Air OM. I own one with laminate back and sides and a solid spruce top. 1 and 3/4 nut, regular scale 25.4, IIRC). Plays nicely. Without even considering that it has the folding neck, it is a nice guitar, compares favorably with Eastman OM’s.

I have taken mine to Europe several times: Spain, Sicily, the Netherlands, Germany, and France. I have not had to check it ( though it was too large to fit in the overhead bins or under the seat on smaller commuter jets, and should have been checked). It does easily fit in the overhead bins on the large trans-Atlantic jets. I have gate checked it in the US several times, without incident.

It is a great way to keep your practice momentum going, to enjoy playing while away from home, while having few worries about how it will fare with the rigors of travel.

I am a fingerpicker.

I play in alternate tunings, including Open C. The Voyage Air handles the open tunings as well as my regularly played guitars.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I think it depends on how big of a package you want to be carrying around. The Furch LJ is much smaller, both in its pack and assembled, than the Voyage Air OM. That can be a good thing or a bad one, depending how you prioritize size.

I have a Little Jane and really like it for travel. The main reasons I bought it were the 1-3/4" nut and its small size. And when packed away it doesn't advertise itself as a guitar. I don't have a Voyage Air to compare to, but if it helps you can see how the LJ stacks up size wise compared to a Taylor GS Mini in a short review here.

Also, if you haven't seen Paul Davids' video where he's using an LJ, you can get a rough idea of how it sounds here:

Old 04-06-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I recommend the Journey OF660. The scale is 24 inches and the nut is 1&3/4.
Because you can string it up with mediums some alternative tuning is doable. I’m not sure how low you could go.

I hope that’s helpful.
Good luck with your search.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I have both a Journey RT660 (slightly bigger body than the OF and less weight) and a Furch Little Jane. For just straight up playing enjoyment and ease of travelling the Furch is clearly ahead in my book.

The Journey of course gets the nod if I'm travelling in temperature or humidity extremes.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:36 PM

I have a Journey OF660 and I like it for strumming but not finger picking. It has very low volume, almost dull with not much treble, although I do have a light touch. But my Taylor GS mini sounds like a canon compared to the Journey when finger picked the same way. The wood models have more volume and a different tone. Google Justinguitar doing a side by side comparison of the two instruments
Old 04-06-2022, 07:46 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I did find a Journey OF660 used at GC for half the price of new, so I bought it. I've got plenty of time to return it if it doesn't work. Should have it in a couple of days. I'll let you know.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I did find a Journey OF660 used at GC for half the price of new, so I bought it. I've got plenty of time to return it if it doesn't work. Should have it in a couple of days. I'll let you know.
Good stuff, I do like mine, just not the loudest for finger picking. If you want a volume and brightness boost try Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Given that when I travel I don't plan to perform but simply want to play for myself and keep everything sharp. I also like to do this early in the morning so a quiet guitar is desirable.

Toward that end I have gotten a Steinberger Spirit. Light, small and fits easily in the overhead bin. It has the added advantage of being useful should I get a last minute call from Henley to divert come fill in with the Eagles. Hey, ya never know.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:41 AM

Mary Spender likes her Lava ME 2.

She has two videos about it on her YouTube channel, one first impressions video and another from a year or so later that she did on a camping trip.

I'm at work right now, but I'll chase down the videos when I get home.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 04-07-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
Mary Spender likes her Lava ME 2.

She has two videos about it on her YouTube channel, one first impressions video and another from a year or so later that she did on a camping trip.

I'm at work right now, but I'll chase down the videos when I get home.

Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 04-14-2022, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Hi James- Did you receive the OF660? Curious about your impressions.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:39 PM

I love my Taylor GS Mini-e!
Old 04-16-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi James- Did you receive the OF660? Curious about your impressions.
Yup, showed up a few days ago. It's in good condition, although the saddle is a little loosey goosey in the slot and the nut had some sloppy filing done to the nut slots. Regardless, it plays well. To my ears, it sounds a little lackluster, but not terrible. It will work fine for keeping up my chops when, otherwise, I wouln't be able to have a guitar. I don't see myself playing it around the house where I have some pretty awesome choices. It folds up and goes back together easily and the back pack is decent and a very good size for air travel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion