The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Since you’re in Europe, I would highly recommend Furch guitars if you’re looking for a grand auditorium-style guitar. Martins GPC models are very nice and generally competitively priced in the US, but I would imagine that, in Europe, Furch guitars will be more readily available and will be priced more competitively.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Since you’re in Europe, I would highly recommend Furch guitars if you’re looking for a grand auditorium-style guitar. Martins GPC models are very nice and generally competitively priced in the US, but I would imagine that, in Europe, Furch guitars will be more readily available and will be priced more competitively.
They look nice, but I preferred to have the option of electro acoustic.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

The pickup that comes in the Road Series guitars isn't very good. I switched mine out for a JJB and it was pretty easy. It's not hard to add a pickup to any guitar, in fact, it's a much better move to get the guitar you like, than add a pickup that you like. You can do it yourself, or have someone else do the install, it's easy so it wouldn't be that expensive.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
The pickup that comes in the Road Series guitars isn't very good. I switched mine out for a JJB and it was pretty easy. It's not hard to add a pickup to any guitar, in fact, it's a much better move to get the guitar you like, than add a pickup that you like. You can do it yourself, or have someone else do the install, it's easy so it wouldn't be that expensive.
I think this is the problem I won't be able to solve. I want to get a Martin guitar (after trying multiple cheaper Yamaha guitars and a Eastman in the past). But the only options available seem to be lower end ones. Even the GPC-13E is £1449 which seems too much for what I've read about it.

Last edited by marklcfc; 05-19-2022 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I may be wrong, but I thought I've heard some folks talk about buying from a US seller like Elderly or another big independent seller , from Europe or Australia, etc. Maybe this could be an option? Or a seller in the US on Reverb? Could reach out to them and ask. Couldn't hurt. You'll probably take a hit on shipping and customs but that might be an option. Other option is to watch your local used market and shops in the UK for one to pop up. Or just go with a Furch or other European builder?

For what it's worth, I had an Eastman 322ce for a bit and it was a really nice guitar. I thought it compared pretty well to Martins, maybe even better in tone than some Martins. Build was a bit lacking but still quite nice. The newer Eastmans are even better than the ones from just a few years ago.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:24 AM

i don't know the UK guitar market very well but have you ruled out Furch which is an EU (Czech)-made brand? if you can find a Green or Yellow GC-SR you are getting a GPC (martin-style) or X14 (Taylor-style) guitar of similar quality and perhaps a nice goldilocks-tone? also if you don't need the cutaway and are willing to get an OM-size, their Vintage series sounds and looks very Martin-esque. Look at the OM-SR Vintage 1 or 2.

if you are beholden to Martin, then i am not sure there are other offerings than the 13 and 16 you are looking at but they have their shortcomings as you know.

other discontinued GPC models to look at if you can find them used:
GPCPA4 (especially the rosewood models)
GPC-MMVE (sometimes they'll add "Custom" to the name - these were like GPC-16s on steroids and almost GPC-28 quality, made in the USA, solid RW B&S and nitro gloss finish all over, but Guitar Center exclusives - i owned one and regret selling it for so cheap ~$1200 as they were clearly worth up to $2k and can't seem to find them anymore)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklcfc View Post
They look nice, but I preferred to have the option of electro acoustic.
I can assure you that all Furch guitar models are available with or without pre-installed pickups (LR Baggs).

Old 05-19-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
GPCPA4 (especially the rosewood models)
The only used Martin I have found is a GPCPA1 and that is priced at £1999, said to be in 'good' condition but does have a crack in lacquer behind the 4th fret.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:48 AM

For the Furch guitars what is the difference between these?

https://www.projectmusic.net/furch-y...se-26119-p.asp
https://www.projectmusic.net/furch-g...kaAvOGEALw_wcB
Old 05-19-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Honestly based on the description on their website, i think the only major differences are the quality of the appearance of the tonewoods (but should not affect tone) and some cosmetic "upgrades" (eg. abalone rosette on the Yellow). Honestly, i don't think you can go wrong with either, but the 100 pound upgrade seems worth it to me so, if i could afford it, i would get the Yellow. They both get the proprietary voiced tops, all-solid wood, open pore gloss finish, and Hiscox hardshell case.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Honestly based on the description on their website, i think the only major differences are the quality of the appearance of the tonewoods (but should not affect tone) and some cosmetic "upgrades" (eg. abalone rosette on the Yellow). Honestly, i don't think you can go wrong with either, but the 100 pound upgrade seems worth it to me so, if i could afford it, i would get the Yellow. They both get the proprietary voiced tops, all-solid wood, open pore gloss finish, and Hiscox hardshell case.
I wasn't sure if the Green was more Martin and the Yellow was more Taylor with how your worded your earlier post
Old 05-19-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The only used Martin I have found is a GPCPA1 and that is priced at £1999, said to be in 'good' condition but does have a crack in lacquer behind the 4th fret.
there are several in Spain, France, Netherlands - maybe shipping is not too bad to UK?:
https://reverb.com/p/martin-performi...cpa4-2013-2018

although i think the GPCPA1 is an excellent guitar, i would not pay £2k for a cracked one, especially one that i didn't see, feel, hear in-person (but that may be just me).
Old 05-19-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I wasn't sure if the Green was more Martin and the Yellow was more Taylor with how your worded your earlier post
No, Vintage series was more Martin-like. Green and Yellow (and all the color series) are probably bent towards more modern tone, but as I own an Orange GC-SW (walnut back&sides), i would say it's somewhere between Martin and Taylor (less bass-y than Martin and more balanced/full than Taylor which lean towards too-bright for my taste).
Old 05-19-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
there are several in Spain, France, Netherlands - maybe shipping is not too bad to UK?:
https://reverb.com/p/martin-performi...cpa4-2013-2018

although i think the GPCPA1 is an excellent guitar, i would not pay £2k for a cracked one, especially one that i didn't see, feel, hear in-person (but that may be just me).
Thanks for finding that, What's the difference between the GPCPA1 and GPCPA4? Sapale sides mainly from what I see.
I can actually go and see the GPCPA1 its only a few hours ago if needed,but the crack is a concern.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for finding that, What's the difference between the GPCPA1 and GPCPA4? Sapale sides mainly from what I see.
I can actually go and see the GPCPA1 its only a few hours ago if needed,but the crack is a concern.
GPCPA1 is way better than a 4. 4 is like Road-series and i hear it is hit or miss quality/tone-wise, but in case you had a chance to play one, it would be something to consider. GPCPA1 is probably on par with the standard series like a GPC-28E which sounds like is out of your price range but to me would be the quintessential guitar you are looking for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion