The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffie1985 View Post
The binding is slightly different as well as the exclusive custom teardrop pickguard that isn't found on any other Gibson models. I think the Adi top is almost worth the upcharge in itself. Throw in all the special appointments and custom features and it is a great value if you ask me. Plus, it's really cool having the Gibson Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity!
Don't get me wrong. I am not questioning anything. Oddly, when word broke last year that Bozeman was planning to double the size of the Custom Shop in order to increase production the first thing somebody I know came up with was he hoped to soon see an LG2 with a 1 3/4" nut, Historic V neck and a bit of abalone bling. While the Western is not a spot-on version of his "dream" guitar it is not that all that far off.

Not sure though what you mean by slightly different binding and exclusive pickguard. If you are referring to the multi-ply top binding and teardrop scratchplate these are the same as found on say the 50s LG2 mentioned above. But at the same time when Bozeman has come out with a Custom Shop red spruce top LG2s such as the Americana and '42 Banner they had the typical Plain Jane necks. The C&W neck on an LG2 definitely falls into the "and now for something completely different" category.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Don't get me wrong. I am not questioning anything. Oddly, when word broke last year that Bozeman was planning to double the size of the Custom Shop in order to increase production the first thing somebody I know came up with was he hoped to soon see an LG2 with a 1 3/4" nut, Historic V neck and a bit of abalone bling. While the Western is not a spot-on version of his "dream" guitar it is not that all that far off.

Not sure though what you mean by slightly different binding and exclusive pickguard. If you are referring to the multi-ply top binding and teardrop scratchplate these are the same as found on say the 50s LG2 mentioned above. But at the same time when Bozeman has come out with a Custom Shop red spruce top LG2s such as the Americana and '42 Banner they had the typical Plain Jane necks. The C&W neck on an LG2 definitely falls into the "and now for something completely different" category.
The binding isn't antiqued like on the 50's Original. The pickguard has a higher-quality faux tortoise with brown and green hues. All of this combined with a Red Spruce top, more premium neck, and headstock adornments, Gotoh tuners, plus different positioning of the volume and tone control make this a completely different instrument. Having a different top is like having a different engine in a similar car. They may look alike, but they behave and perform completely different from each other.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffie1985 View Post
The binding isn't antiqued like on the 50's Original. The pickguard has a higher-quality faux tortoise with brown and green hues. All of this combined with a Red Spruce top, more premium neck, and headstock adornments, Gotoh tuners, plus different positioning of the volume and tone control make this a completely different instrument. Having a different top is like having a different engine in a similar car. They may look alike, but they behave and perform completely different from each other.
One more stab at this and I promise that will be it. Your guitar is without argument a custom instrument in terms of it being essentially a hybrid - an amalgamation of stock parts from two very different instruments. So if the specs I saw are correct the neck on your guitar, as example, is a standard Bozman profile and the same carve as found on the 50s LG2. But in the case of your guitar Gibson went with a SJ/C&W neck on which the pearl logo, fingerboard inlays, doodad on the headstock, and white button Gotoh tuners are all typical of a current production neck. But the real key to getting that CS certificate with the guitar is that you know the lumber was selected with the utmost care and the construction as neat and exacting as it is going to get. My wife owns a guitar which was built in the Custom Dept in Kalamazoo the first year it opened. It is the pinnacle of the guitar builder's craft.

Regarding red spruce, if you go back say even 40 years the only trees big enough to provide lumber of sufficient size to build guitars tops were the remaining stands of old growth trees which were often found in places like National Parks where even fallen trees were protected. This is why back in the day guitars with red spruce tops carried such a hefty upcharge. But the rising availability of secondary/farm growth trees has resulted in prices dropping considerably and as such red spruce tops becoming far more common. I admit though when I look at my three red spruce top Gibsons I do find it cool that they likely came from 350 to 400 years old trees.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
One more stab at this and I promise that will be it. Your guitar is without argument a custom instrument in terms of it being essentially a hybrid - an amalgamation of stock parts from two very different instruments. So if the specs I saw are correct the neck on your guitar, as example, is a standard Bozman profile and the same carve as found on the 50s LG2. But in the case of your guitar Gibson went with a SJ/C&W neck on which the pearl logo, fingerboard inlays, doodad on the headstock, and white button Gotoh tuners are all typical of a current production neck. But the real key to getting that CS certificate with the guitar is that you know the lumber was selected with the utmost care and the construction as neat and exacting as it is going to get. My wife owns a guitar which was built in the Custom Dept in Kalamazoo the first year it opened. It is the pinnacle of the guitar builder's craft.

Regarding red spruce, if you go back say even 40 years the only trees big enough to provide lumber of sufficient size to build guitars tops were the remaining stands of old growth trees which were often found in places like National Parks where even fallen trees were protected. This is why back in the day guitars with red spruce tops carried such a hefty upcharge. But the rising availability of secondary/farm growth trees has resulted in prices dropping considerably and as such red spruce tops becoming far more common. I admit though when I look at my three red spruce top Gibsons I do find it cool that they likely came from 350 to 400 years old trees.

This guitar is a Nathanial Rateliff signature model. He went with a combination of specs from his vintage LG-2 and Southern Jumbo. That’s the explanation for the weird mash-up.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Cool looking Gibson! Congrats....I want one!
Old 05-20-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
Cool looking Gibson! Congrats....I want one!
Thanks! Yeah, if you can find one, GET IT! It took me 6 months of searching to find this one...
Old 05-20-2022, 06:50 PM

I just purchased the 50’s LG-2 from Rainbow Guitars and they have 2 Rateliff’s. RB guitars was great to deal with and set up was perfect, highly recommend:

https://www.rainbowguitars.com/guita...amsbnrvs001/gb

Last edited by Seattlesurfer; 06-11-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:35 PM

Is the neck the same profile as the 50’s LG-2?
Old 06-10-2022, 03:24 PM

I searched out one of these as I am very interested in smaller bodied Gibsons.
Glad to hear somebody found one of these to buy!!! I wound up with a Nick Lucas reissue, but I love this special model LG-2 western! Congrats on finding what you wanted, now post some pictures!!!
Old 06-11-2022, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

A beaut for sure, congratulations.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-11-2022, 08:30 PM

One of the way, hopefully this week!
Old 06-13-2022, 05:31 AM

My LG-2 Western should be here next week and this one just popped up on Reverb. Rainbow guitars does great set-ups before they send out guitars and would suggest that you contact them directly:

https://reverb.com/item/55002536-gib...ntage-sunburst
Old 02-18-2023, 01:58 AM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

Sounds exciting. Does anyone know if the internal construction is the same as the 42 custom banner? Are the braces craved the same or are they different to give Nathaniel Rateliff a different sound or response or tone? Is it just the Western neck, adi top, and different pickguard? Wondering.

1964 Gibson LG-01 SB think it has Adi top.
2014 Collings Baby 2HE
2016 Nick Kukich Franklin custom 13 fret OM
Brazilian/German 60y/o
Old 02-18-2023, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Ooooh ! Split parallelograms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion