The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-09-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Default How would you handle this yard/neighbor issue?

5 years ago we moved into our home. An elderly lady lived next door and we were planning to put in a fence (wanting to own dogs in the future). The neighbor passed and new neighbors moved in. The neighbor started cutting our bushes and planted a tree in our yard. We told her that it was our yard and she apologized and removed her small tree.

We decided to put up a fence and followed our plat. The fence company came in and used metal detectors to find the pins at the edge of the yard. We built the fence and when the fence went in, the neighbor came out and made the workers pull up the fence and move it over ONE INCH.

Fast forward 4 years, earlier this year, we had our land surveyed because we are doing a home extension. A big name survey company came over and measured the lot and staked our yard (in January). Our neighbor frantically came over to tell us the stakes were in the wrong place. It ends up that we have 18 inches from the stake to our fence. She made us move our fence ONE INCH and we were already in our yard (17 inches from our property line).

Three weeks ago, I told the neighbor's husband that we want to move our fence to claim back some of our yard. She called a different company to survey their property (the surveyor came out on Monday). I'm still waiting on what their surveyor will say, but I'm guessing that the measurements won't be far from what we received. I just want to move my fence as soon as possible and get on with the project.

Your thoughts?

(you can pick your house, but you can't pick your neighbors!)

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 09-09-2021, 01:31 PM

Move the fence back and unfriend them.

“If Immanuel Kant, can Ghengis Kahn?”

Collings cust 000 shrt Koa b/s Eu Spruce top
Santa Cruz cust OM shrt Maple b/s Germ Spruce top
Martin D-41 Dan Fogelberg Lmt edit
Rainsong 2001 ‘Hawaiian’ WD 1100 all CF
Milagro Rosewood b/s Euro Spruce top Classical
Taylor cust GA EIR b/s Addi top Florentine cut
Journey carbon fiber “Overhead” breakdown travel
Fender Standard American Strat
Old 09-09-2021, 01:33 PM

First, aside from surveys, make sure there are not utility easements that can be another issue for fences. You don't want the expense and time wasted when your electric utility, LEC TELCO or local cable monopoly can rip out your fence.

Next consider if something that's inches is a fight worth what could be years or permanent grief. Smile even if it hurts.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4640W View Post
Move the fence back and unfriend them.
very tempting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
First, aside from surveys, make sure there are not utility easements that can be another issue for fences. You don't want the expense and time wasted when your electric utility, LEC TELCO or local cable monopoly can rip out your fence.

Next consider if something that's inches is a fight worth what could be years or permanent grief. Smile even if it hurts.

Good luck!
We've been smiling a long time, but when is enough a enough?

Old 09-09-2021, 02:06 PM

Sometimes surveyors come up with different results. Let's hope that's not the case here.

I would probably leave the fence as is ... unless you have a small yard that 18" would make a difference. You just have to make sure that the extra 18" gets mowed.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

First you used the extant survey pins:

>>the neighbor came out and made the workers pull up the fence

Then you paid for a new survey:

>>She made us move our fence

I would happily move the fence if she wanted to pay a
reputable/suitable surveyor to show that it was on her
property. I'm unsure of why you moved it?

-Mike
Old 09-09-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

I would move the fence and tell her to sue me.

You've been more than neighborly. She's never going to stop.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sometimes surveyors come up with different results. Let's hope that's not the case here.

I would probably leave the fence as is ... unless you have a small yard that 18" would make a difference. You just have to make sure that the extra 18" gets mowed.
Our yards are fairly small since we are so close to Washington D.C. Our reasoning is twofold. First we wish to have more space on that side of the home since we are renovating and doing some hardscape. Second, the neighbor made us move a fence one inch after is was already installed and it was already in our yard (she thought it was hers) and we wish to have more space back.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
First you used the extant survey pins:

>>the neighbor came out and made the workers pull up the fence

Then you paid for a new survey:

>>She made us move our fence

I would happily move the fence if she wanted to pay a
reputable/suitable surveyor to show that it was on her
property. I'm unsure of why you moved it?

-Mike
we moved it the first time to be neighborly. Trying to be nice. We are wanting to move things back and gain more of our existing property that is ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I would move the fence and tell her to sue me.

You've been more than neighborly. She's never going to stop.
We certainly feel like we have been more than reasonable!

Last edited by ericcsong; 09-09-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

You need to have a lawyer who understands property issues on speed dial...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
5 years ago we moved into our home. An elderly lady lived next door and we were planning to put in a fence (wanting to own dogs in the future). The neighbor passed and new neighbors moved in. The neighbor started cutting our bushes and planted a tree in our yard. We told her that it was our yard and she apologized and removed her small tree.

We decided to put up a fence and followed our plat. The fence company came in and used metal detectors to find the pins at the edge of the yard. We built the fence and when the fence went in, the neighbor came out and made the workers pull up the fence and move it over ONE INCH.

Fast forward 4 years, earlier this year, we had our land surveyed because we are doing a home extension. A big name survey company came over and measured the lot and staked our yard (in January). Our neighbor frantically came over to tell us the stakes were in the wrong place. It ends up that we have 18 inches from the stake to our fence. She made us move our fence ONE INCH and we were already in our yard (17 inches from our property line).

Three weeks ago, I told the neighbor's husband that we want to move our fence to claim back some of our yard. She called a different company to survey their property (the surveyor came out on Monday). I'm still waiting on what their surveyor will say, but I'm guessing that the measurements won't be far from what we received. I just want to move my fence as soon as possible and get on with the project.

Your thoughts?

(you can pick your house, but you can't pick your neighbors!)
Just be aware that regardless of what the survey company may tell you ( they often sight studies of accuracy to within a centimeter of accuracy )..... BUT understand those are where the best of the best high end dual frequency receivers, the best augmentation devices, and best mapping software is used,,,, as well as in the most optimum in atmospheric conditions. But the reality is there can definitely be errors in GPS surveys even of several feet unusual but it can happen..

We had an example with a problematic neighbor who had a survey done late in the fall just before winter hit . Both of our properties Western lines were bounded by the US Forest Service. So in the spring the Forest service asked him to recheck the line before building his fence,, and when the same survey company came out they found the line they had marked in the fall, was 26 " off from the rechecked line , and said someone must have moved the stake , because they claimed centimeter accuracy .. So the neighbor accused us of moving it , but we had not. It caused a huge issue, but the simple reality was the survey company had a 26" difference in their own measurements.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-09-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Charter Member

Beware. That is one vindictive woman....
I would move the fence to the very edges of the yard. 18" is worth it.
But before you do, both you and your neighbor need to sign off on the surveying work. Get the Town involved if there is still some disagreement between you and the neighbor.
One thing I would never have done however, is to let her get her way about moving the fence one inch after it was installed. On what basis did you assume that she and her survey were correct and legit?

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-09-2021, 02:24 PM

Simple. Electric fence. That way she can enjoy your <insert animal here> and how it romps, barks/meows, poops, etc unimpeded.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:29 PM

I’m just stuck on that mind boggling 1” move so I’m of no help right now. But, on second thought, I’d move. Life is too long to live next to someone who makes you move your fence 1 freakin inch!!!
Old 09-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

If they made you move the fence 1",I'd wonder if you might have inadvertently done something that ticked them off and now opened a door to petty BS. I'd go over there and find out if she or her Husband has some beef that can be resolved... sounds ridiculous unless your property is 15"x20"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic