The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Thumb+index pinch on the same string?

Hello there,

May I ask you how common is to make a pinch with three fingers (thumbpick + index fingerpick + middle fingerpick) on two strings instead of three strings? It means that thumbpick and index fingerpick would pinch the same string.

I did not see this in the guitar world until I have read the Craig Dobbins' article Jerry Reed Lesson in May 2011 issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine (I am new on-line subscriber as of this month) where it appears in the Example 15.

Quote: "On the second beat of the first measure (and also in the last measure), pinch the third string with your thumb and index finger, and play the second string with your middle finger."

Are there any other examples? Is it rare tool or common one? Does it have specific name?

Thanks
Mirek
www.mirekpatek.com

P.S. I have posted similar question to http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.c...he-same-string
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 PM

There isn't any point where you would pinch an individual string with both the thumb and a finger in that example (or anywhere else I've ever come across), I think the wording in the article isn't clear - what it's trying to say is that at some points in the lick you are playing the the 3rd string with your thumb and at other times you are playing it with your index, your middle finger is playing the 2nd string...pay close attention to the p (thumb), i (index), and m (middle) fingerings given in the example and you should be able to see what's intended.

Last edited by walternewton; 11-20-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 PM

No, the wording is correct, I have confirmation from Craig himself that he pinches the 3rd string with thumb+index [and 2nd with middle finger].

I assume that this may happen in pattern picking where one wants to keep the regular thumb on the beats, and in the same time the index+middle doublestop departs from the treble strings to some inner strings and index finger simply meets the thumb there.

Mirek
Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirek Patek View Post
No, the wording is correct, I have confirmation from Craig himself that he pinches the 3rd string with thumb+index [and 2nd with middle finger].

I assume that this may happen in pattern picking where one wants to keep the regular thumb on the beats, and in the same time the index+middle doublestop departs from the treble strings to some inner strings and index finger simply meets the thumb there.

Mirek
that makes some sense to me, that it is a rhythmical thing. it also could lead to some unintentional muting. i can't quite see the point.

what song was this?

Last edited by mc1; 11-21-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Well if that's the case then I think it's the tab that isn't clear, and it should say "pi" for the fingering of those notes!

In any case, I personally do think it's rare, and don't know of any particular name for the technique (and would probably be inclined to try to leave the index finger out at those points myself).
Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
Well if that's the case then I think it's the tab that isn't clear, and it should say "pi" for the fingering of those notes!
I quess that the reason of not writing "pi" is the fact that the tab software does not enable to assign two simultaneously picking fingers to one note on one string. My TablEdit cannot do that by the tool "Pick strokes + Fingerings" - but I use the "Text Manager" for such note so in my tabs there will be "pi" (actually "TI").

Quote:
Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
In any case, I personally do think it's rare, and don't know of any particular name for the technique (and would probably be inclined to try to leave the index finger out at those points myself).
Thanks,
Mirek
Old 11-21-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
what song was this?
Example 15 has been introduced as "Reed's own variation on chicken pickin’ a Telecaster using double-stops". The source was not specified.

Thanks for your comments.
Mirek
Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Example 15 has been introduced as "Reed's own variation on chicken pickin’ a Telecaster using double-stops". The source was not specified.

Thanks for your comments.
Mirek
ah, who could forget that great tune?

i just watched a couple of jr videos, and while he often tucks his index finger and uses p + m + a, he also often uses his index finger. i removed my technique comment above.

if it's a chicken pickin' exercise, perhaps he is trying to mute the notes quickly, hence the p + i. just a thought

Last edited by mc1; 11-21-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Mirek
I use that all the time, literally.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
I use that all the time, literally.
and why do you use it?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
and why do you use it?
I use a variation of alternate thumb picking : on the beats 1 and 3, the thumb picks a bass (on the two bass strings), on the 2 and 4, the thumb brushes on strings 4 and 3, most often 2 also and even 1 at time.
I keep that rythmic pattern all along, when picking melodies notes with the three fingers, on strings 3, 2, 1, even at times on the 4th string.
So there are always cross picking between the thumb and any finger on the higher strings, particularly when there is a melody note on 2 or 4. Often I will pluck it with the thumb, along with the brush. Even on the highest string.
It really depends of the situation, but when a melody notes occurs on 2 or 4, its really difficult to pick the note with a finger and brush with the thumb at the same time. Hence the cross picking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerpick, fingerstyle, index, pinch, thumb