The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-18-2022, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arapaho G View Post
I saw Billy Strings at Red Rocks last night. 3rd time I've seen him perform and I was amazed again. I'm pretty well convinced he is the best flat picker I've ever seen. I'm not saying best ever, just the best I'VE ever seen. Who is your best?
Doc Watson
Old 05-18-2022, 08:53 PM

Molly Tuttle, WOW! Playing like that and singing on top of it. Gotta see her!
Old 05-19-2022, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
Molly Turtle

my my that was good, and I don't generally like fast flatpicking, but that was just so musical, and her voice.... KILLER! Thanks for posting that!
Old 05-19-2022, 02:33 PM

I’ve seen Billy live a bunch of times and he is indeed in the top tier of living and performing pickers (I try to avoid the term “best” in any art-related discussion)”. I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing Bryan Sutton live (he doesn’t tour much), but he’s up there at the top of the heap, too.

The thing about Billy, as kind of an aside, is that he’s a also a quality songwriter and straight up rock star frontman. Kind of a rare combo, I think that’s what captures most people when they see him. Also, he’s surrounded by a top notch band.

Last edited by Kyle215; 05-19-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
I’ve seen Billy live a bunch of times and he is indeed in the top tier of living and performing pickers (I try to avoid the term “best” in any art-related discussion)”. I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing Bryan Sutton live (he doesn’t tour much), but he’s up there at the top of the heap, too.

The thing about Billy, as kind of an aside, is that he’s a also a quality songwriter and straight up rock star frontman. Kind of a rare combo, I think that’s what captures most people when they see him. Also, he’s surrounded by a top notch band.
And he can sing. The singing has been better at every album release. I agree the song writing and the band is top notch. Even though he presents as a bluegrass artist he can shift seamlessly to jam, rock, psychedelic, country, within the framework of 1 song. Really an amazing talent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write