The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2022, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Vintage Gibson L-00 knockoff?

I love everything about my 1942 Gibson L-00: the sound, the feel, the neck - and the way it accompanies my voice. I’d love to play it live but I hate playing into a mic - and putting a pickup in this vintage instrument is NOT going to happen.

So for live playing, I picked up a Farida OT-22W with a Baggs pickup that checks all the boxes - except the neck is just too dang thin. I LOVE that old chunky Gibson modified-V.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar sized guitar - cheap enough that I don’t have to worry about getting banged around but that has that nice chunky old style neck?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

can't help you , but I've wondered if a builder or woodworker could

" build up " the neck to a fuller thickness......

well maybe I can help...

the Loar L0 18 VS has a nice V neck you might like....
Old 05-14-2022, 02:50 PM

Take a look at the Alvarez website. They have a lot of small bodied guitars ranging from dirt cheap on up. Look at the Delta guitars under the section 'Blues' guitars.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 05-14-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Not quite as inexpensive as a Farida, but I would put in a vote for an Iris OG, about $2400 new & can be had for about $1800 used. They have a nice vintage sound with a full C neck. Throw a K&K in and you're ready to roll. Another option might be an Eastman 00.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Out of curiosity, what do you have against putting a pickup in the guitar? Plenty of non-invasive pickups that require little more than drilling out the end pin, and there are also options for soundhole pickups where you don't even need to drill the end pin.

That said, The Loar LO-18VS has a nice chunky V neck that would probably fit what you're looking for. Waterloo WL-14's have the same but obviously a bit more expensive.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:57 PM

Normally I would recommend going with a Waterloo but do not have a clue what a good more budget oriented replacement would be. Those heavier-built scallop braced wartime L00s though are interesting guitars. Kind of a blending of LG2 and L00. I would think though that an upside would be it should be easier to find an in the park sound replacement for this period L00 than it would with a pre-41 guitar.

Not sure why you are dead set against going with a pickup in the L00 though. Installing a soundhole pickup generally requires no more modification than replacing the endpin with a jack which is easily reversible by going with a No Jack. I play a 1932 12 fret L1 and that is what it once sported. Today the only evidence of it is the reamed endpin hole. You can even avoid this by letting the cable run out of the soundhole and securing it to the strap or end pin with a twisty tie or something. I went this route for decades using Dearmond 210 pickups. But I have also been thinking of going with a K&K Pure Mini in the L1 since it already has had the endpin reamed. I figure if I go with double sided tape to attach the bugs to the bridge plate it will be about as non-intrusive as it gets.

Last edited by zombywoof; 05-14-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I was in the same boat I ended up getting a Baxendale converted Kalamazoo KG,
Old 05-15-2022, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I appreciate the replies. Yes, a pickup is a great option but that still means playing out with a fragile and valuable guitar, one that would kill me if it ever got damaged or stolen.

I actually HAD a Waterloo that would have been perfect but I stupidly sold it - and now the prices of those are through the roof. The Iris looks quite interesting and I may check one out but they are pretty expensive and few and far between. I’d love to keep this under $1200 or so. Like I said, the Farida is perfect for this application except for the shallow neck.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
I appreciate the replies. Yes, a pickup is a great option but that still means playing out with a fragile and valuable guitar, one that would kill me if it ever got damaged or stolen.

I actually HAD a Waterloo that would have been perfect but I stupidly sold it - and now the prices of those are through the roof. The Iris looks quite interesting and I may check one out but they are pretty expensive and few and far between. I’d love to keep this under $1200 or so. Like I said, the Farida is perfect for this application except for the shallow neck.
First off, I do get the neck thing. The round shoulder C neck on '42 J50 has a depth of something over 1.03" at the 1st fret. The only Gibson I own with a fatter neck is the soft V on my 1920 L3 which, of course, predates truss rods. Based on my preferences though where Gibson screwed up in 1941 when finally settled on the specs they would go with was the skimpier string spacing at the bridge.

But as it is your guitar and while I do not want to come off as sounding cavalier, if I get enjoyment out of a guitar it is not going to be left sitting at home. If you see me walking out the door carrying a Harmony Sovereign H1260 instead of say the Banner J50 it is not because I worry about the Banner but rather that I also love playing the Harmony. I guess it helps though that I do not think of any of my guitars as "fragile." Not saying I do not take precautions with above all my '32 L1. That 12 fretter though is built so lightly you barely need to breathe on it to get a good sound out of it. Clocking in at barely 2 pounds 14 ounces sticking with nothing heavier than 11-52 gauge strings is not a matter choice but of survival. But I also will not hesitate to tote it to wherever I am going. C'mon, admit it that while folks sitting there listening do not give a fig about what guitar you are holding, if nothing else it is nice to hear the oohs and aahs these old guitars elicit when other players see you pulling it from the case.

Last edited by zombywoof; 05-15-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:28 PM

Default Vintage Gibson L-00 knockoff?

I’ll be that guy. I gig with my ‘30s L00 and I love to do so. (KK mini). It’s a great conversation starter to those that recognize it and it sounds great over a PA. I don’t worry about theft. Granted, it’s not my only higher end guitar, but I’d be hard pressed, at least at this point, to gig with my Collings. It’s a process mentally to those who gig regarding what to bring, but who knows, another social issue could be right around the corner and no more gigs. As the kids say, YOLO.

I’d say the bigger issue is getting another guitar that I know I will sell down the road anyways because it was temporary.

I will say this does not apply to campfire guitar conversations. Get a cheap one for that if you hang around the kinda partiers I do.

Last edited by KalamazooGuy; 05-19-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

The Loar LO-18 has been mentioned. The older Loar LO-16 is also an option if you can find one. Chunky 1 3/4” neck, short scale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion