The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-08-2022, 03:08 PM

I you haven’t already, check out the Fingerstyle from zero thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=641929

Lots of good info, especially in the last several pages.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelws View Post
…Thanks for any help with this.
Hi michaelws…

I really want Pizza…should I stop at Dairy Queen first?

I don't find evidence that the style you learn depends on learning another style first. I doubt plectrum hold dominance over fingers.

Learning guitar is a journey, and there are not rules dictating which order you learn things first. Just go and have fun learning!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-08-2022, 09:14 PM

You guys are informative and funny. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelws View Post
Thanks for all the replies. For some reason, I never received any emails notifying me that there were any replies.

I am struggling with the flatpick. I just haven't got the hang of how tight to hold it. I know it will come with time.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Might be a good idea to learn fingerpicking with a thumbpick. It may have some carry over to a flatpick.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:25 AM

I just signed up for lessons with Toby Walker. I noticed he uses metal fingerpicks. I am familiar with wearing those with the banjo so I thought - just maybe...!

If I have any success with Toby then I might look at Truefire lessons afterward.

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:28 PM

There's also Peghead Nation.

And Homespun.

And Murphy Method.

Careful, though. While they all have excellent fingerpicking resources those are heavily weighted toward bluegrass. They could have you crosspicking before you know it.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-10-2022, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
That says it all in a nutshell.
Yup - it’s how I started - I loved watching and hearing fingerstyle guitar early on and I was determined to learn that style….I never use a pick, even when playing electric….it’s very foreign to me and I don’t use any fingerpicks as well…bare fingers only….

Spend some time with all the available lessons out there, or with a teacher, working on your right hand (assuming you are a righty) technique….mastering that will elevate your playing!

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 05-11-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I would make sure I'm smooth on changing chords before I dove into anything more.
^This.

I would just stick with strumming for a while until I got a few strum and sing along tunes under my belt with good chord transitions, which could take quite a while.

We had another thread where a newbie was insisting on learning finger style before having good left hand control. People can do whatever they want, but taking the path of lease resistance is a good idea when first learning. Fretting hand dexterity should be the first goal.

I know that classical guitarist have to struggle though learning both at once, but I avoid things like smacking myself with a hammer whenever I can

Guitar playing is a great hobby. Good luck with your journey.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
^This.

I would just stick with strumming for a while until I got a few strum and sing along tunes under my belt with good chord transitions, which could take quite a while.

We had another thread where a newbie was insisting on learning finger style before having good left hand control. People can do whatever they want, but taking the path of lease resistance is a good idea when first learning. Fretting hand dexterity should be the first goal.

I know that classical guitarist have to struggle though learning both at once, but I avoid things like smacking myself with a hammer whenever I can

Guitar playing is a great hobby. Good luck with your journey.
Hey Barry, I hear you, I think we both came to finger picking from a chord strumming background, and it was really nice to have the left hand a little bit under control. Of course the left hand does a lot more than hold down chords in finger style!

The other nice thing about being able to strum with a pick even a little bit is if you sing or want to play with others it really helps. Finger picking while singing or in a group situation is much more difficult (for me) than strumming. But the OP already plays the banjo so he may not need as much left hand work as a typical beginner-- if is only interested in solo instrumental pieces he might want to go straight to jail
Old 05-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Can’t you strum without a pick?
Old 05-11-2022, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I learned banjo and guitar simultaneously. I used and still use the finger picks on both, although I ditched the banjo years ago. I do use a flat pick on electric when I play rock, but never on acoustic. Anything I hear a flat picker do that interests me I can do with my fingers.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Anything you play on the guitar will sound surprisingly smooth and pleasing compared to your previous life!

But seriously, there are no rules. Learn as much of whatever you want! One little thing I noticed while dabbling with the banjo, is that the finger-picking “rolls” on the banjo dont necessarily translate onto the guitar. Then again, guitar strings are all in the proper order!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-13-2022, 06:58 AM

I once heard an interview with Chet Atkins and Vince Gill. Chet said he wished he could flatpick and Vince said he wished he could fingerpick. Learn both.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:15 PM

>>I just signed up for lessons with Toby Walker.

That should get you going! Most of the fingerpicking I know came from his prerecorded lessons. He seems like a really nice guy too.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:57 PM

Again my thanks to all who are offering comments.

I am definitely focusing on fretting and learning the fretboard notes. I will keep on learning the basics of strumming. Getting that flat pick to stay in position while holding it so loosely is really a tough one for me.

I will keep with the basics right now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write