The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-02-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default CF Strings

What strings are the best, in your opinion, for CF guitars?
Mostly interested in Rainsong APSE and H models.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Both of my Rainsongs (H-WS & N-JM) are partial to the Martin Retro (monel) strings, in my case in the LJ flavour (DADGAD).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:58 PM

I'm with Phil, I love Retros on RainSong guitars too. Give them a few days as they sound better as they age. And, they fit the element resistant nature of RainSongs as well. They lasted 4-6 months! Keep in mind that when my Shorty had them on it was my only guitar and was getting daily play, so 4-6 months is amazing for any string. I only took them off because it felt wrong that they should last even longer.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Twice now in my guitar journey, the stock strings that came with an instrument from the factory were so good that I not only stuck with them (or something close to it) on that guitar, but adopted them on all my other instruments. The first was with a Gruhn exclusive Martin custom shop guitar that was set up with medium phosphor bronze strings - they sounded so great, I used them on all my guitars and I thought they improved the tone across the board. The most recent experience was with my Emerald X30 which were strung with D'Addario EXP19s (phosphor bronze medium gauge bass, light trebles) and they sounded awesome - I couldn't believe how full sounding the trebles were with light gauge strings and I loved the lighter tension. I've since strung my other guitars with the very similar EJ19s (uncoated but same gauges as the EXP19s)
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-02-2021, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

My experience is with Emerald. There are as many differences between an Emerald and a Rainsong as there are between a Martin and a Taylor - or a Martin and an Emerald for that matter.

So, I don’t believe that there’s any particular string that suits CF in general, any more than I’d try to define one for wood guitars.

That being said, I prefer D’Addario Nickel Bronze Light on my X20, and a custom Newtone PB set on my X20-7.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-02-2021, 02:16 PM

For my Emerald X7 and X20 I presently have Magma Phosphor Bronze Flat GA120PBF (10 14 22 28 38 48) Hex Core.
My Emerald X30 presently has Dogal Nightclub V25 80/20 Bronze Flat Wound (11 14 16w 22 30 42) Round Core.
The X30 will have Magma GA120PBF on the next strings change.

The Dogal V25 strings are low tension and super easy to play, seem to last forever and sound exceptionally good.
The Magma strings sound magnificent and are a little louder than the Dogal. The Magma have a little more tension than the Dogal
but are still very easy to play. The Magma GA120PBF strings are almost half the price of the Dogal V25.
I just started using the Magma strings and I'm very impressed.
They are suppose to be a long life string too and still sound super after 2 months.
Magma customer service said they would be offering more Flat String choice, I'm hoping they'll soon offer 80/20 Bronze Flat.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-30-2021 at 06:09 AM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber