The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Forgive me, forum, for I have sinned...

The sin of neglect. I haven't been playing guitar much for the past several months. Some of you may know I had a total hip replacement at the end of April. Other than not being able to comfortably sit at my favorite guitar chair for a while, that didn't hinder my playing. After a muscle tear that set back my recovery for a bit, I went after the exercise and physical therapy like a full-time job. I had a goal: to get back to riding my scoot as soon as possible.

The surgeon said, "Too dangerous - you are done riding." I fired him.

Since we retired in 2006, we have done some kind of summer adventure - oten working a seasonal boat job, sometimes cruising on our own boat, traveling, and last year: spending 3 months in the beautiful Black Hills (western South Dakota). We used to live there, and I find it calls me back... when the weather is decent... I haven't forgotten what winters in the frozen northland can be like.

Joan and the surgeon both said, "No," to getting away this summer. It made me go after the exercise even harder. And on July 17th, we left the Tropical Tip, heading north to the Black Hills. The hip situation has been improving... I think it is because we have had plenty riding time (I'm on a Vespa these days), which has been good for me physically, and even more so for my head and soul. I continue to walk, ride a bicycle, and exercise.

Alas (and how often do you get to say "alas"), even though that sweet X7 travels with us, I have been neglecting the guitar time. Probably only playing once or twice a week, as opposed to my normal daily playing routine. I'm going to say it has been a matter of focus.

I started playing guitar at age 11; riding motorcycles at 14. Both have remained life-long passions. There is a normal ebb and flow for how much time I spend with each.

We should be back home next week, and once settled in and having a music room that makes it easy to play, I have no doubt I will pick up the pace. And, the scoots will get less "play time." The riding in the Black Hills is truly spectacular; not so much in the Tropical Tip.

There has been some guitar content during our time away. I mentioned going to a music store in Rapid City, SD, and enjoying time playing some of their large selection of Taylors. Yesterday, we took the factory tour at Collings Guitars (only offered once a week) in Dripping Springs, TX (west of Austin). We both enjoyed seeing their process, but it didn't make me want to add another wood guitar.

In fact, I am looking forward to playing the guitars I have (and some haven't been out of their cases for over a year), and currently don't have any desire to add any new ones (Gasp!). Hope I didn't violate any forum rules by putting that in writing.

I still look in on this forum each day, and my thanks to all of you for keeping fun guitar content going. I will try to do better.

Jim
Old 09-28-2019, 09:57 AM

We are all recovering from something. Staying healthy is a job that many of us neglect until it's too late or almost too late. That's true for me at least. Lost another friend to brain cancer this week, so life has been a little somber here. He had a 10 month lead time from diagnosis to death and made it several months past the doc's best case estimate. Only in his 50s. Pretty sad.

I thought you were going to tell us you were hanging up the plectrum for good, sneaking in more guitars on your scooter or worse now addicted to guitar xbox and have given away all your guitars. Glad you've only been neglecting your fine collection. The nice things about the CF guitars is they can pretty much out wait any of us and still be in tune and ready to go. Not sure if that will be the case for the rest of you guitars, but at least you X20, X10 and X7 will be ready to play next time you are ready to pick them up.

So stick to your job of staying healthy so you have even more time to do the things you love.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

Lo siento. A month ago I managed to fracture a hip in a logging accident and find it very uncomfortable to play guitar. But this forum helps me get through the day and it's a joy watching others order, receive, and play their new guitars.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Always enjoy your posts Cap'n and looking forward to new content--forum or otherwise
Old 09-28-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jim;

Lo siento. A month ago I managed to fracture a hip in a logging accident

Was that when you were logging into this forum?? If so we all should be more careful... if not then just think of the Tower of Power song.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Guest 928

Kramster;

No, but logging on to this forum has fractured my bank account.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Oh thank goodness ! I thought you were going to say that You've taken up the banjo!

(it's not my fault - my wife bought it for me).
Old 09-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Hang in there Captain, I think several of us have been thru the same this year, it comes around and will be just as enjoyable as ever.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear you're doing better Jim. Nothing wrong with taking breaks from one endeavor to feed another one. Jeez, I took 30 years basically off from playing guitar once and all I managed to do during that time was have a family and a career. You'll get back to it as you can and as you feel it...

-Ray
Old 09-28-2019, 07:14 PM

We sentence you to play the intro for "Stairway to Heaven" ten times in one sitting (out of earshot from Rufus and the Blonde of course) then go forth and sin no more!

Been following you blog posts all summer and happy to hear of the travels and scooter rides. Soon you'll be back on the water.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Ah, you guys crack me up... it isn't like I'm not playing at all (double negative), I just started slacking on my daily playing. All that walking, exercising, bicycle riding, scooter riding, petting Rufus, and chasing the Blonde around has cut into my free time. It's a good thing I don't have a job anymore.

Two things that must be said: Evan, I am sorry to hear about your logging accident and fractured hip. I hope you heal fast and full.

Silly Moustache, my wife has put up with a lot of my guitar yearnings over the decades... she would leave me in a heartbeat if I took up the banjo. Even love has limits.

OK, three things: that "logging on" comment about fracturing the bank account was funny.

No wait - four things: Earl, my friend, I still like to play Stairway once in a while. Sometimes I do a jazz version of it. I wonder how that might sound on the banjo?

The Blonde has already made it clear that she wants more music once we are settled in at home. I'm looking forward to some guitar variety. Y'all remember when I've said something about "If this were my only guitar, I'd still be happy..." Yeah, that must have been one of the other voices in my head talking.

Thanks, folks. This place is great!
Old 10-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Just rolled into our little house in the Tropical Tip. Well, Rufus thinks it's a mansion after spending 2 1/2 months in the motorhome. We did something a bit different this time: stopped at our storage unit (inland) and unloaded a bunch of stuff from the motorhome into the CR-V. Um, "bunch" may not be accurate, since the motorhome holds a lot more than the Honda SUV. I told Joan "only essentials" for this first trip. I mention that because the X7 stayed behind in the motorhome.

Once home and getting kinda moved back in, I went into my music room... decisions, decisions... there is still plenty to get done, but I pulled the X10 out and strummed a few tunes. Rufus came and laid by my feet. Joan said, "That sounds good." My fingers said, "You need to spend some more time on the strings, son."

I wondered which guitar would be the first to be uncased.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Welcome home Jim! May you be glad to have a guitar to put those fingers on.
I haven't seen a guitar in person for about 2 months.
I'm stuck in the UAE where a non-wood guitar has the advantage.
The locals say it's cooling down but I think its the hottest most humid place I've ever been.
I inspect the worlds largest aircraft engine, at night, outside on the flight line,
and am soaking wet from sweat in just a couple of hours. Last week I charged 96 hrs.
This is the reason for these tests: https://youtu.be/wY1Op4Mhs58

Anyway I started shopping for guitars online since I had no suitable guitar to bring
and decided to get another x7 (the latest version). It should do well in this environment.
Hopefully arriving this week, my first woody.

Get well soon for you and EvanB!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Song, on the incoming X7! We'll look forward to some photos. Two months without a guitar? I can't imagine! Hope your new one arrives soon.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

My fingertips are sore. I guess I slacked off more than I thought. I set up my music room today; spent some time with all three Emeralds and got out one of the wood guitars, a Taylor 522e 12-fret. A few minutes with this one, a few more with that one... less than an hour all total... and my fingertips feel bruised! Who knew the calluses (calli?) would go away that fast?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber