The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2021, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Jazzmaster comparison and recommendations?

I am considering trading my Strat in for a Jazzmaster but haven't 100 percent made a decision yet. If I did buy a new one, which version is considered the best overall, best value, etc. I realize that best overall may be different than best value. I guess my question is, which Jazzmaster would YOU buy if buying one new.

I have heard the American Original is great, but that and the Ultra are pretty expensive! Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I guess my question is, which Jazzmaster would YOU buy if buying one new.
I wouldn't. I would buy an AVRI from somewhere around 2005 or so. I've had a few Jazzmasters and Jags from that period and they were all awesome. I was always amazed at how the super glossy necks weren't grabby, and while admittedly I have a pretty soft touch, I never had any issues with saddles lowering or anything. I even liked the Jag pickups! If you can find a wildwood "thin skin" used, even better.

That's assuming you want a Jazzmaster with a capitol "J". Meaning not just the looks, but one that acts like the originals.

If you only care about the shape, I'd go for a Classic Player.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:46 AM

I paid $450 for a perfect condition. MIM jazzmaster 2 years ago. Love it.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:23 AM

I wouldn't mind having one of the Jazzmaster Acoustisonics, but that's a whole 'nuther thing...
Old 05-15-2021, 11:49 AM

There's a straightforward answer to the value question, assuming you want something with the original Jazzmaster feature-set IMHO: The Squier J Mascis model.

I like the original "rhythm circuit" and I use it not just for "Jazz sound" but for some kinds of overdriven and sustained things too. It's not the same as cocked wah or early Clapton "woman tone," but there's elements similar available with it. Many "Jazzmaster" models delete or modify that circuit, the J Mascis has it, and of course unlike most Fenders you can use it for a "two preset volumes" thing, or even the Morello stutters. I also like the Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem, but I only tolerate the original bridge design, and the J Mascis replaces the original Jazzmaster type bridge with a Tune-o-Matic type which I find works well, particularly if you like to string bend.

I've heard the pickups aren't like "real Jazzmaster" pickups, but they have a nice sound, and for a guitar with wide single-coils (which can be the most noisy type of guitar pickup) this one is quieter than most.

It's Hobson's choice for color, but I happen to like the way they look too. And if you are not a J Mascis fan, the "signature model" branding is on the back of the headstock so no one need know.

You know how forum members often talk up the value of the Classic Vibe Teles? This is that and perhaps even a bit more for Jazzmasters.

My take on the Jazzmaster with modern strings (assuming you have dealt with the bridge) is that it is -- somewhat as Leo might have intended -- a just a bit different (and arguably better) Strat. Comfy to play strapped on or seated. Fender's snappier, longer scale and neck feel, a practical trem if used as intended, and compared to the Strat a somewhat fatter more driven tone without going all over to the humbucker sound.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 05-15-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I paid $450 for a perfect condition. MIM jazzmaster 2 years ago. Love it.
I'm a huge fan of the Classic Players which are a MiM guitar. The only true Fender I own these days is a MiM Jag with humbuckers.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:50 PM

Hey BD,
Here is the best recommendation I can give you concerning a Jazzmaster:
Every one of the many series of Jazzmasters that Fender offers has a variation of what kind of neck they use. To order one on line because of perceived value or performance benefit would be doing yourself a disservice.

It’s like the box of chocolates scenario, you never know what you’re going to get. Squier, MIM, Corona all have and offer different carves. Go out and have some fun. Play as many as you can find and compare the feel of them. Electronics, and layout of same, will vary by origin of the build. You are looking at a line of guitars that go from approx $400 to $2400, not including the custom shop offerings.

But the one constant through the entire Jazzmaster family- They are one of the most comfortable guitars you will ever play.

Last edited by Chickee; 06-09-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I am considering trading my Strat in for a Jazzmaster but haven't 100 percent made a decision yet. If I did buy a new one, which version is considered the best overall, best value, etc. I realize that best overall may be different than best value. I guess my question is, which Jazzmaster would YOU buy if buying one new.

I have heard the American Original is great, but that and the Ultra are pretty expensive! Thoughts?
I never liked really liked Jazzmasters until I played an Ultra, but when I tried one I was quite impressed, especially with the tremolo system! But I'm sure the American original is quite good too! There is a guy a learned a lot about Jaguars and Jazzmasters from on youtube, here's his channel, check out his videos...

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeatriceandBernard
Old 05-17-2021, 07:01 PM

I was thinking about what you said “which one would you buy” and being the tremendous Jazzmaster fan that I am I have to say this:
Consider these-
RAVEN by Tom Anderson Guitar Works
And
Classic JM by Suhr Guitars

If you are even considering an American Original or an Ultra series from Fender, just get one of the best Jazzmasters on the open market. For another handful of Benjamin’s you get a guitar built for you and you alone.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:20 PM

I got an AVRI wildwood "thin skin" and love it!
Old 05-30-2021, 07:46 AM

My income is limited ... but I love Jazzmasters and Jaguars and the like. But I own the quier versions.

My recommendation is a used, older version of the now discontinued Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. Why? It has a rosewood fingerboard where the "newer" but still discontinued VMJMs use Indian laurel, which to me looks terrible on some guitars I've seen. The newer Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, in addition to also having Indian laurel fingerboards, has some changes, such as the elimination of the iconic but wonky bridge and the changeover to Fender-designed JM pickups as opposed to the Duncan Designed pickups on the VM series.

There are some other differences between the VM and the CV models. As for the pickups, I've played both models and I prefer the pickups on the VM series, but that's a personal thing. Some players prefer the newer Fender units.

As for the Squier J. Mascis, as noted, this guitar does not have the "true" JM pickup but uses straight-ahead P90s which have a slightly different sound. However I've read the Mascis has been discontinued so, if true, I expect the stock to be sold soon as scalpers get the idea to buy up what's left and then resell them at higher prices.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 AM

I had always fancied a Jazzmaster having never played one after 50 years as a guitarist. I've had just about everything else!

Bought a J Mascis (to put a toe in the water) and was so blown away by how fantastic these played and sounded decided to get me a new American Pro ll (in gorgeous Mystic Green).

Never touched the American Pro ll (after the initial try out) as the J Mascis does everything better, is a joy to play, both plugged in or unplugged noodling on the sofa. It's a very resonant guitar. It barely goes out of tune (I use D' Addario 010's) and the vibrato is amazingly stable...if a little stiff, compared to the American Pro ll. I could upgrade to a Mastery but don't want to risk 'upsetting' the (almost) perfect set up the Mascis came with.

The neck is on a par with my Gibson Es 175 1959 Reissue. Sublimely comfortable. The Indian Laurel fretboard doesn't bother me in the slightest and may even enhance things. Fretwork is immaculate.

I love the sound of the pickups...regardless of what they are. I get no noise from them playing through a Blues Cube Hot. The test will be when I start recording with it.

The only criticism I can come up with is the pickup selector switch is a little flimsy...but I can live with it, and it's an easy fix.

I wish I could have had access to a budget guitar like this when I was a young boy starting out. What a difference this would have made to my guitar playing. We're very lucky these days to be able to buy fantastic guitars for (relatively)
little outlay.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I wouldn't. I would buy an AVRI from somewhere around 2005 or so. I've had a few Jazzmasters and Jags from that period and they were all awesome. I was always amazed at how the super glossy necks weren't grabby, and while admittedly I have a pretty soft touch, I never had any issues with saddles lowering or anything. I even liked the Jag pickups! If you can find a wildwood "thin skin" used, even better.

That's assuming you want a Jazzmaster with a capitol "J". Meaning not just the looks, but one that acts like the originals.

If you only care about the shape, I'd go for a Classic Player.
I just picked up this Wildwood Thin Skin '65...

Old 06-09-2021, 05:56 AM

I have been playing Jazznasters since I bought a new 1964 Jazzmaster in the spring of 1965 right after high school graduation. Sadly, had to sell it in the 70's while raising four young sons alone. Had regretted that ever since.

Once the Squier VM Jazzmasters were released I bought one back in 2012. All I can say is that I feel like I have the old one back. Very true to the old one. The only exception being the lack of the the trem lock, a feature I had used only once on the old one. The booklet (manual) that came with the '64 said to tune to pitch then adjust the trem spring tension until the lock would slid in place easily. Once I had done that I never again used the trem lock. Only things I did to the VM Jazzmaster was to install a set of 11's and put a tiny bit of clear nail polish on the bridge and saddle screws. Not sure it was actually necessary, but as a precaution against them moving once adjusted.

I did change the pickups a few years later, not that they needed changing but only because the stock bridge pickup was hotter than the 1964l. I put in a set of new Fender '62 pickups, which would have been the same as my old '64 Jazzmaster would have had. (Fender changed the pickups slightly in 1965). Now it not only feels like the old one but sounds like it as well. I have not had to make any more adjustments to it and have had zero issues with it since the initial setup. Stays in tune better than any other electric guitar I own. Keep in mind these trems were not designed for really aggressive use or dive bombs. When used as designed they (IMHO) are the best designed trems ever made. The Jazzmaster is still my favorite electric guitar.

The J Macias JM is different in a number of ways from a true Jazzmaster. They moved the trem closer to the bridge to increase the break angle, changed the bridge and put in what are actually P-90's disguised as Jazzmaster pickups. Those changes make it quite a bit different than a true Jazzmaster. Many people seem to like them a lot, but they are really quite a different guitar than a true Jazzmaster.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:25 PM

I bought an American Original 60's Jazzmaster a couple of years ago and love it. I replaced the bridge and tremolo arm/collet with Stay-Trem and recently replaced the pickups, but I think the pickups it came with, Pure Vintage 65, are good too. (Replacing the collet was a PITA. Fender really torques that nut!)

There are two for sale right now at Black Bobbin...

https://blackbobbin.com/collections/used

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars