The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-25-2020, 10:09 AM

Default Semi-Hollow with Floyd Rose

Anybody ever see a semi-hollow guitar with a Floyd Rose tremelo system? Who makes them? Any pics?

Thanks,
GP
Old 06-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I have a locking-nut vibrato system in my 1975 Gibson ES-345... but it's not a Rose, it's a Kahler. Had it installed in the early 80's, mostly because the guitar just would NOT hold tune for more than a song at a time...

The Floyd Rose was very popular then, but it necessitated actually punching through the body; at that time, they did not offer a 'surface" mounted unit (I don't know that they have that today?). Added to that was the fact that Rose doesn't go "both ways" nearly as well as the Kahler, and that made the decision fairly easy for me.

Installing the Kahler required routing the face of the guitar to create a "hole" for the unit, which absolutely DESTROYED any "vintage resale" for the guitar, but, that guitar holds tune REALLY well, and it makes all the sounds I want to hear from an electric guitar, so I'm thrilled with it...

Here's a couple of pictures...

and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-25-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure it would be possible to make them. I owned one Floyd Rose system guitar and will never own another. That aside, when I removed it, there was a very large and deep chamber that the tremolo sat in. I recall on that guitar, it was more area than a strat trem takes up.

And for the record, that system wasn't to MY liking, but I know many people love them.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:58 PM

Hey Jseth, I had to look it up but there is a surface mounted Floyd Rose available now.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...lo-system.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have a locking-nut vibrato system in my 1975 Gibson ES-345... but it's not a Rose, it's a Kahler. Had it installed in the early 80's, mostly because the guitar just would NOT hold tune for more than a song at a time...

The Floyd Rose was very popular then, but it necessitated actually punching through the body; at that time, they did not offer a 'surface" mounted unit (I don't know that they have that today?). Added to that was the fact that Rose doesn't go "both ways" nearly as well as the Kahler, and that made the decision fairly easy for me.

Installing the Kahler required routing the face of the guitar to create a "hole" for the unit, which absolutely DESTROYED any "vintage resale" for the guitar, but, that guitar holds tune REALLY well, and it makes all the sounds I want to hear from an electric guitar, so I'm thrilled with it...

Here's a couple of pictures...
<<snippet Pics>>
Old 06-25-2020, 02:00 PM

Hey GP, I'm guessing that no guitar manufacturers make a semi-hollow with a Floyd Rose. You'd have to put it on after market. I would check with the guitar manufacturer first to make sure that a Floyd Rose could be installed without any issues.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:39 PM

Thanks gang. That is a cool looking guitar. I guess what I would be looking for is probably a hollow chambered guitar. I was under the impression that some semi-hollows has a center block all the way through the guitar.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Pat;

That's one big difference between an ES-335 and a 345... the 335 has a center block through the body, while the 345 has a space in that center block. Apparently, that's where that Kahler is mounted!

I really like the Kahler; it's a very stable system, able to bend up or down a bunch, and still hold tune well... and it's almost 40 years since I had it put in, so it does have some longevity!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-28-2020, 11:32 PM

There was a Neal Schon model. I'm not sure if it's still in production or how much it would cost.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

There was a Neal Schon model. I'm not sure if it's still in production or how much it would cost.
Sweet. I didn't know Schon had a PRS model. He's one of those guitarists that don't even make the "underrated guitarists" list because he's so underrated.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet. I didn't know Schon had a PRS model. He's one of those guitarists that don't even make the "underrated guitarists" list because he's so underrated.
He has had several custom shop models and a handful of signature models. There was another version of this guitar with a sustainer pickup at the neck.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:30 PM

Not exactly a Floyd, but it does have a locking nut system. The Wes Borland model by Yamaha is one of the most unique and cool guitars I've ever played. Not that expensive either. $1,500 range.

Vid quality isn't great, but the construction is really unique one piece carved back, sides and centerblock out of alder.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
He has had several custom shop models and a handful of signature models. There was another version of this guitar with a sustainer pickup at the neck.
Neil Schon had Gibson Les Paul sig model as well.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Neil Schon had Gibson Les Paul sig model as well.
I almost bought one. I was a relatively new grad and a Les Paul with a Floyd was a dream guitar of mine. The sustainer pickup was an added bonus.

I go to my local shop and ask if I can order one, but with a flame or quilt top. Gibson gave me a less than polite "absolutely not".
Me: I'll give you guys more money.
Gibson: No.
Me: Why not?
Gibson: Then it's not a Neal Schon signature.
Me: (resisting the urge to point out that the Les Paul is Les Paul's signature guitar....) Can I get a Les Paul with a Floyd, sustainer pickup, and flame top from the custom shop?
Gibson: No
After the pleasant customer service, I gave up.

A month or two later, I thought I could live with a black or gold top. Called my shop to order one. It had just been discontinued and he went to PRS.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM

Ah. Cool story s2y.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I almost bought one. I was a relatively new grad and a Les Paul with a Floyd was a dream guitar of mine. The sustainer pickup was an added bonus.

I go to my local shop and ask if I can order one, but with a flame or quilt top. Gibson gave me a less than polite "absolutely not".
Me: I'll give you guys more money.
Gibson: No.
Me: Why not?
Gibson: Then it's not a Neal Schon signature.
Me: (resisting the urge to point out that the Les Paul is Les Paul's signature guitar....) Can I get a Les Paul with a Floyd, sustainer pickup, and flame top from the custom shop?
Gibson: No
After the pleasant customer service, I gave up.

A month or two later, I thought I could live with a black or gold top. Called my shop to order one. It had just been discontinued and he went to PRS.
That's a shame. I don't think Gibson has a made to order custom shop (like Taylor's BTO program, which is awesome). Have you thought about the Axcess Les Paul with Floyd Rose? Guessing PRS gives you everything you need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars