The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Dazzo is $225 USD. Schatten is $112 USD. My math says that is double not triple.

I use both, but in my highest quality instruments I specify Dazzo. I can hear the difference AND it is worth it to me for specific cases.

Since I have my pickups professionally (and permanently) installed, epoxy vs. tape vs. putty isn't an issue (for me).

I think for the majority of players, Schatten is an excellent choice for those looking for a more mic-like tone than a K+K. The price is super for what you get.
Gordon,

I have only tried one Dazzo in a Lowden Jumbo. It was so microphonic and picked up human chatting voice through it that it was unusuable to us. Might have been a defective unit. Ever had this problem?

I've tried almost all SBT pickups and 'generally' settle on the HFN now days, but I know there are many great options now days.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 05-31-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I have only tried one Dazzo in a Lowden Jumbo. It was so microphonic and picked up human chatting voice through it that it was unusuable to us. Might have been a defective unit. Ever had this problem?
No I have not. You may have had a defective pickup. Do you remember what type? I use a 70s which gives the correct amount of bass response for my guitars.

Seems like every pickup has some issues with some guitars and/or installs. Petty1818 has been trying to get the HFN to work, but unable so far to get adequate bass. Most others are able to achieve the sound they want.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-03-2020, 03:44 PM

In my opinion the Dazzo is superior to the Schatten HFN when it comes to close reproduction of the true acoustic sound.
Yes, Schatten HFN is less expensive and installation is very simple and easy to remove. But it can lack some low end and it can sound overly bright. So gaining a lot of experience with the different SBTs available (Trance Amulet is not available here in Germany) in very different guitars I started learning or suggesting which brand of SBT could be the right one in one particular guitar. The vintage Martin 0-17 I used in the vid is a bit boxy sounding and not overly bright. So I opted for the Schatten, and I would say it is a good match.
When I got my new Pre-War D28 guitar (lightly built and very responsive) some months ago I managed to get a pair of Dazzo wooden housing pickups with slightly reduced bass response, and they sound great. Had Dazzo 70s in my huge sounding Merrill C28 and Merrill OM18, and both guitars sounded overly boomy. Same pickup sounds great in my Merrill OM28 - best amplified sound I ever had.
So when it comes to the definite solution, I always would contact Teddy Randazzo for his advice on the particular guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-03-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
No I have not. You may have had a defective pickup. Do you remember what type? I use a 70s which gives the correct amount of bass response for my guitars.

Seems like every pickup has some issues with some guitars and/or installs. Petty1818 has been trying to get the HFN to work, but unable so far to get adequate bass. Most others are able to achieve the sound they want.
Yeah, agreed, we must have. We had 70s and Teddy was great about offering for us to send him the guitar, but it wasn't worth the $200+ return shipping.

He's a top operator to be sure. I'll have to try them again sometime.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 06-04-2020, 10:17 AM

I have a Dazzo lying around and have at times been tempted to install it. My experiences with the HFN and Amulet have definitely played a role in stopping me. It can be such an experiment to get it right and when you are working with epoxy/glue, it makes it even more daunting. I do wonder if the epoxy that Teddy recommends has the same impact on the wood as the K&K? I assume it too would penetrate the wood, which I don't like but I am not sure how one would test that.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Yes, Schatten HFN is less expensive and installation is very simple and easy to remove. But it can lack some low end and it can sound overly bright.
I haven't had that experience yet. I seen a few people mention this before. Most of my HFN installs for myself and friends were in dreadnoughts and neither of them lacked any bass. The main thing with the pickup is to make sure it has even contact across all 3 feet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification