The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Early Baranik Work

I have located a Baranik build from 2000. Would like to get some comments from folks who have experienced his early work. And how much is styling and voicing has changed in 20 years.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff
Old 04-20-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Hey Jeff.

I think I've seen pictures of that guitar. Isn't a marketed as a Small Jumbo? Anyway, I know nothing about Mike's work from back then, but someone who might is Jason Kostal. You could drop him a line, or contact Mike directly.

Peace.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate the reply! Thought about direct contact as well. Would live to get my hands on a Baranik but the newer ones are beyond my financial reach.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Smile Baranik

I would definitely recommend a 2005 or later Baranik if you can swing it. The few older ones I have played were less dynamic and less responsive than Mike's newer guitars. I have played many 2005 or later CX's and JX's, and they have all been great guitars.

One thing to note is that Mike can, and has, tailored custom builds towards a particular customer's playing style. For instance, if the player has a heavy attack and prefers a more percussive style, Mike may make the top thicker or use stiffer bracing. This is all within a certain range, of course.

If you find a particular Baranik you want to buy, I would definitely call Mike to get the guitar's history.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 04-21-2020, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jeff,

I first played a Baranik in 2004 and really fell for the sound, resulting in a custom build in 2006. I bought another new Baranik six months ago and it sounds very similar to the 2006 guitar. Lots of enjoyable individual traits but from 2004 to now Mike has had a definite sound to his guitars (of which I have played and listened to dozens).

To add to Marc and Johns comments, give Mike a call. He has an amazing memory for his guitars and is very approachable. And he does dial in specific traits to specif guitars, which is one of the benefits of a custom build.

If you want to go a bit newer, there is a 2007 JX for sale on the AGF classifieds. It is in Europe but should be easy to ship as it is made EIR.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2020, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Here is a thread started by someone looking at the same Baranik as you:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578002

Looks like that older Baranik on Reverb is turning lots of heads
Old 04-21-2020, 06:35 AM

The first Baranik I played was at Healdsburg in 2001—an excellent instrument, great clarity and what many steel-string players would call a “modern” voice. My recollection is that his voicing and approach then were quite similar to his more recent instruments. He’s since expanded some of his cosmetic directions, use of color, etc., and he’s probably very aware of adjustments and evolution inside the box, but for an attentive listener/player I don’t think there is a big divergence from early to late.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

You all are fantastic! That’s why I love this place, AGF is the best. So much information and advise. So, I was going to reach out to Michael directly but his website is under construction and I could not find an email or number using a google search. Anyone care to share any contact info they may have?

Thanks again everyone!

Jeff
Old 04-21-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Jeff, I just sent you a PM with Mike Baranik's phone number.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Found a message avenue through reverb. This is what Mike had to say about his 2000 work:

“Wow, that's an oldie. My SJ was based on the Olson sj body shape, it has a longer scale length 25.75". I was making guitars for Los Gatos Guitar Gallery at that time, on consignment, they sold maybe 12-15 guitars. I would make whatever I wanted so I was experimenting with tonewoods. Cedar and Maple, probably made 2-3 of those around then. Pretty much redesigned everything about a year later. Body shapes, bracing, looks, etc. Also started using poly finishes.”

And asked about the bracing changes:

“Mostly I slightly altered the x bracing pattern and started doing a fanned back brace pattern“

Jeff
Old 04-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile Baranik

Sounds like that 2000 Baranik would make a wonderful guitar for lowered tunings like DADGAD or CGDGCD. My Beneteau CS has a 25.75" scale length and a similar sized body, and it is a beast in DADGAD, which is where I leave it tuned.

Please let us know if you end up buying that 2000 Baranik SJ. I just looked at the photos of it on Reverb. It is gorgeous looking. I can't believe it is in such good shape. I doubt you will find another Baranik of that age in such excellent condition.

Happy hunting.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:05 PM

Jeff,
I've owned several Baranik over the years, and still have one now. The first one I purchased was from someone who was local to Mike when he was in Arizona. I think it was built in 2000-2001. It was Indian/Sitka and was very much an Olson style guitar and I was told it was patterned after an SJ in bracing and measurements. While in ornamentation and I'm sure construction it was very much different than what Mike builds today, it was an exceptional guitar. I wish I could find that guitar. I would not hesitate to buy it back. I know many builders including Olson try to downplay some of their early work, and sometimes for good reason. I can vouch for the build quality of the one I had.

David
Old 04-21-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwapoolguy View Post
Found a message avenue through reverb.
Cool! Would you mind sharing where you found that contact info? I'd love to ask some questions about my 2007 Baranik!
Old 04-25-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwapoolguy View Post
You all are fantastic! That’s why I love this place, AGF is the best. So much information and advise. So, I was going to reach out to Michael directly but his website is under construction and I could not find an email or number using a google search. Anyone care to share any contact info they may have?

Thanks again everyone!
Those of us here who have known Mike for some time are smiling to ourselves about the website being “under construction”!

Mike is also on Instagram at baranikguitars.

Jenn
Old 04-26-2020, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

I have a feeling the website is permanently under construction? 😄
Anyway, I was able to get in touch with Mike. He was very helpful.

Thanks again all!

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop